Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM

455 posts, read 898,520 times

Advertisements

I just got out of the OMV here in Louisiana, which by the time I got out, they had already locked the doors. And they're not open for NYE or NYD. So when I got to my new truck, thinking I was finally done with the zoo that is the OMV, I start getting a hot feeling in my face because I realize I'm just now proof-reading my registration...

Completely different last name.

So, I had to take time off work to do this, and I couldn't go back in, so I have to go through it all again. Why on earth didn't I check it when I was at the booth?!

So I get home and start searching for some sort of form that I might be able to fill out and mail in, but apparently Louisiana is the only state that doesn't even list anything about correcting this sort of thing, as though they've never made an error, or as though I'm the sole person in the state who, like an idiot, didn't check the info right then and there.

I guess my punishment for that is having to sit in there for another couple hours and learn my lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
We all make mistakes, your error was not double checking and the employees error was entering the wrong information. The good news is that it’s a relatively minor if annoying mistake. Best of luck in getting it sorted out!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
We all make mistakes, your error was not double checking and the employees error was entering the wrong information. The good news is that it’s a relatively minor if annoying mistake. Best of luck in getting it sorted out!
Thanks!
I was reading around and becoming slightly discouraged at some of the stories on the internet about needing all these multiple types of identification in order to make sure I'm not trying to scam them or something. Is this a thing? If so, I'm hoping that an old military ID and some bills or something will be sufficient in concert with my driver's license. I would hate to wait for a second time to find out I have to do it for a third!

Only the last name is wrong. All other information is fine. Same addresses and everything. I can't believe they got the last name wrong. I wrote very clearly, and the license is typed. This never even occurred to me, as I've done this only once many years ago, and (I guess, unfortunately) everything went fine.

Man, now I'm seeing the reason people agree to the price of TTL at a used car dealership!
So much easier. My last vehicle was done that way, and man, if I ever go that route again, I won't cringe as hard.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Here in Nevada they asked you to check it prior to finishing.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Here in Nevada they asked you to check it prior to finishing.
That would have been nice, although if I had my wits about me, it would have been unnecessary.
Ah well, everyone needs a mistake once in a while to learn not to do it again.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM

317 posts, read 747,818 times
I wouldn't worry about it. If you get pulled over just act surprised.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
I had that happen in Virginia a while back. I went back the next day and, as usual, the place was packed. I went straight to the information window and asked to speak to the manager. A lady came out and said that the manager was out, but she was the assistant manager and asked if she could help me.

I told her the problem and she took me back to her office and sat me down. Minutes later, she returned with my corrected documents and I was out of there...total elapsed time, about 15 minutes.

Give it a shot.

(Note: I was VERY polite and I didn't call anybody stupid, etc.)

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I had that happen in Virginia a while back. I went back the next day and, as usual, the place was packed. I went straight to the information window and asked to speak to the manager. A lady came out and said that the manager was out, but she was the assistant manager and asked if she could help me.

I told her the problem and she took me back to her office and sat me down. Minutes later, she returned with my corrected documents and I was out of there...total elapsed time, about 15 minutes.

Give it a shot.

(Note: I was VERY polite and I didn't call anybody stupid, etc.)
Ah, this is a good idea.
I have always been under the assumption that when you enter the OMV, you are entering the place where you become docile and throw away all your rights and expectations, and simply pay patronage to the servitude you have been bestowed until you escape the shackles that are the front door.

I guess there's nothing to lose by trying!

Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
My first and last names were switched on the paperwork for one of my recently purchased cars. I did not notice it possibly because I did not read closely the notes under the lines where it said "First" and "Last" names. They were both spelled correctly and both of my names could be either a first name or last name. Luckily the dealer had filed the paperwork, and they called and told me, "Mr. Thomas, your plates are ready". When I called back they could not find them under my last name, but found them under my first name. They got it changed and reissued a corrected title & registration a few days later.

You know, that might be a reason why I keep getting Sirius XM letters addressed to Thomas Thomas!

Good luck on it!

Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Well, I just returned from the OMV for the second time this week. After waiting about an hour, my number is called and I have my registration in hand and all other relevant documents just in case, I tell the guy what happened, and he just keeps asking me, "This is for a vehicle you just purchased?", and I keep telling him yes, that I did the registration on Monday.
So he walks to the back and confers with some colleagues, then comes back and tells me I have to bring in the title after it arrives in the mail, which will be incorrect, then bring that in and they'll reissue the registration and mail a new title. (And I assume I'll be paying the fee all over again)
The whole time he had this incredulous look on his face like this is the first time anyone has ever brought a registration back with the incorrect name on it.

So, I have to go back a third time, and take even more time off work.
I tried calling all day long to ask them what I would need to bring in, but the line was busy all day. So I brought everything I had, which did not include the one thing I needed.

This is becoming a real pain...
Meanwhile, I'm driving around with incorrect registration and it bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive