Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

Thank you all. Rab, that was the plan. But I am always open to friendly suggestions.
Ted, question is not in forking for registration. Question is - only 4 cars a year are allowed to be sold per household. And I happen to have a neighbor that fixes and I happen to be the neighbor that can sell. We simply don't really want to go past the 4 number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I won't even look at a car that's not registered in the SELLERS name. I don't care how good a price it is. Or if there is no paperwork/ownership title papers

You must be very special. Neither I never cared, nor anyone else I sold to ever cared. Say, I am selling car for a friend that is ESL? What's wrong with that? Who cares.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM

OK, I am out of here. Thanks all. Happy New Year.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
What you are doing is skipping title. That's illegal most places except for licensed dealers. To get the title in your name would likely incur a sales tax. This is why people skip titles.

I've played along with this scheme on cheap cars, but wouldn't on higher dollar rides. I would have no recourse against the legal owner (of record) because he/she did not sell me the car.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You must be very special. Neither I never cared, nor anyone else I sold to ever cared. Say, I am selling car for a friend that is ESL? What's wrong with that? Who cares.
Not special. Just unwilling to get screwed.

But I'm not the one asking how to circumvent the law

Why don't you just go get your dealer license?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why don't you just go get your dealer license?
That's not always so easy.

Around here, you have to have a "place of business" of at least X number of square feet (commercially zoned office space, not your house), post a bond, get a local business license, the whole can of worms.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Yep, it is NOT CHEAP to get a dealers license, my one Son just went through it and spent about $10K and had to get a lot of permits and pass a lot of tests, inspections, and conditions.

But that still doesn't make it right for the OP to want to beat the system by never registering the car in his name, that is illegal and opens him up to some serious problems. To get back to the original question, most times when you buy a car you do not get the plates, and if the seller is smart they go right with you to the DMV and transfer the title before you ever drive off. Otherwise, they are still on the hook if you get in an accident or somehow get into trouble with it (ie, parking tickets, etc).

Everyone wants to make some money flipping cars, but this isn't 1950 anymore where you can sell a car that is in another guys name and get away with it. You have to do it the right way.

Don

Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
What the OP is doing is most likely illegal since the state is losing out on sales tax.

But to answer the original question....

I looked at two out of state cars in Nebraska and Wisconsin. Both states offered a temporary plate to non residents.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:39 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Yeah, I like 1, 3, and 4. Plenty of plates around and no big deal to toss ones off any of our running cars on. We are quite in sticks, but... Camaro sounds like my kind of person. Thanks, man.
Gnomad, it's not illegal not to register vehicle. State allows 30 days for registration. We'll get her flipped faster than that, besides - what 30 days? title is open date.
While it's not illegal to "not to register vehicle" for 30 days from the time you acquire it ....

it is illegal for you to have purchased the vehicle which you now OWN and not transfer the title ownership into your name so that you can then, in turn, legally sell the vehicle to the next buyer.

What "30 days? title is open date." ... if this car is involved in an accident during the course of your ownership, you'll be finding out from the legal owner (the seller to you) how important that sale date is to them. If they've got any proof of when you bought the car, such as a receipt or perhaps when they cancelled the insurance on it ... you can be sure they'll be providing that info to the court system because they won't want the liability of the accident. At this point, thinking that you can sell the car within 30 days isn't the same thing as having sold it; you wouldn't be the first in the car biz to buy a car and not find a willing/capable buyer in 30 days.

As pointed out above, you're already a scofflaw in this whole affair ... especially if you're willing to take a license plate off another legally registered vehicle for the purpose of driving this car around. Likely you don't have insurance on it, right? Get into an accident with this car and you'll find yourself in the middle of a legal, insurance, and civil problem very quickly which will affect your license and insurance for a long time to come.

Not sayin' that folk haven't done these things before and gotten away with it, but it's not the legal way to do business. The state DMV's have cracked down on the dealers holding inventory on open titles, and they're not very inclined to look the other way when they find private parties doing this.

Old 12-31-2013, 05:50 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
What you are doing is skipping title. That's illegal most places except for licensed dealers. To get the title in your name would likely incur a sales tax. This is why people skip titles.

I've played along with this scheme on cheap cars, but wouldn't on higher dollar rides. I would have no recourse against the legal owner (of record) because he/she did not sell me the car.
It's illegal for licensed dealers to skip title, and grounds for them to lose their license if they are caught with inventory on the lot for sale that has open titles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive