Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times

Advertisements

My favorite is the cheapest one.

Currently, my CTS-V runs on Falken Eurowinter HS-449 and my 350Z runs on GT Radial WinterPro HP. In the past, I've run various Bridgestone Blizzaks, Goodyear UltraGrip, Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3, Viking SnowTech, Michelin Arctic Alpin, Nokian Hakkapellitta, and several others I can't remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 02:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Bkizzak tires are perhaps the most popular ice and snow tires in the interior of Alaska. Just keep in mind that there are two versions, one that has a softer rubber compound (slower speed/more traction), and another with a harder rubber compound (higher speed/less traction). I have a set of the slower speed Blizzak tires on my wife's Rav 4 V6 because the very long winters up here brings lost of snow and ice. The roads are often covered with solid and glare ice. I remove the winter tires and replace with a set of all-season tires for summer driving, but all the tires are mounted on their own wheels.

My FWD work van has a set of Blizzak tires, and for whatever reason my employer decided to leave them installed through the summer. The is the second winter, and the tire treads don't look bad at all.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:15 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,141,570 times
General AltiMAX Arctic.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
We see these posts all the time. You should definitely have snows, not all-season tires.

All season tires are really just three season tires.

In snow and ice conditions, I'd rather be in a 2WD car with actual winter tires than a 4WD car with all season tires. In my experience stopping and turning are probably more important than having power to all four wheels in winter conditions. Having 4WD does not affect your vehicle' ability to stop or turn. That is the function of the tires. I live in snow county. I drive in snow from December into April.

We have two Subarus and one has the Michelin XIce and the other has Blizzak WS70. Both great tires. I've done U-turns on snow covered hilly roads with no problem with those tires. I'd say the Blizzaks have the edge on snow (and is good on ice) and the Xice the edge on ice (but still good in snow).

Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
General AltiMAX Arctic.
We have these on 2 AWD cars now, and have used them before. They're a good value and a nice compromise among the variables of snow/ice/dry/noise etc. Worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive