Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your thoughts on gas prices?
The Lower the Better 143 65.60%
Its fine where it is today 15 6.88%
The Higher the Better 50 22.94%
not sure/other 10 4.59%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
look at it this way, if gas was higher the people that drive cheap cars now might not be able to afford to drive at all. so making the price higher would probably only hurt the lower income people. the rich would still be driving their gas gussling suv's and so on. i have a 35 mile to the gallon car and a 50 mile to the gallon motorcycle and i strugle to fill them with gas. so you are wrong wrong wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!
perhaps i am, but gas will continue to go higher and higher, and instead of that money going into R&D now (and in the past, as should have been done) uit will go to countries that hate us

you can say I am wrong, but your still going to pay for it

$4 gas is already here, and it may go even higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Unhappy Gassss

I'm not argueing the fact that gas is going up. but to wish for higher gas prices is just plain stupid. higher gas prices will not solve anything. gas price has been going up for 30 some odd years so it's no surprise. it's just now it's making leaps and bounds, it's not just a few cents here and there. that is why it is such a hot topic. to me wishing for higher gas prices is like wishing i could die tomorro. that's how much sence it makes.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:23 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
I would question the wisdom of people wishing for higher gas prices.

They had better be 100% self sufficent because the higher the gas price, the higher for --everything-- one purchases.

Evidently some folks must think trucks that transport goods and tractors that til the cropland run on water.

Be carefull what you wish for (people who want higher gas prices) !

Old 04-29-2008, 10:29 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

They had better be 100% self sufficent because the higher the gas price, the higher for --everything-- one purchases.

Evidently some folks must think trucks that transport goods and tractors that til the cropland run on water.

True, but fuel costs are only a minor fraction of the total cost of consumer products, whereas they are 100% of the costs of commuting. Therefore, a rise in gas prices hits the guy driving solo in the SUV much harder and more directly than the guy buying bread.

For instance, if a loaf of bread is $3, but only $1 of that is transportation (and tractor) fuel, and a gallon of gas is $3, if gas goes up to $6, the guy commuting and burning gas has to pay double (100% more), while the guy buying bread only has to pay 33% more.

Oil is running out. Might as well have high gas prices now so the market forces exist to make poeple start conserving gas and exploring alternatives.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
True, but fuel costs are only a minor fraction of the total cost of consumer products, whereas they are 100% of the costs of commuting. Therefore, a rise in gas prices hits the guy driving solo in the SUV much harder and more directly than the guy buying bread.
It's not 100% of the costs of commuting either. There are other costs such as the cost of the car itself, maintenance/upkeep, insurance, time-cost, taxes, tolls, etc.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Good point, but I'd wager it's a bigger % of commuting than it is of production.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

That's right , be carefull what you wish for. you just might be walking to those recreation ares or to work. this will only hurt the lower and middle class. those that drive hummers and 40 foot class a rv 's will still be letting the good times roll. when the price of diesel hits ten dollars a gallon you will be paying 8 bucks for a loaf of bread. the price of fuel will ultimately cause a land slide every where else in the market. SO BUCKLE UP IT'S GOING TO GET ROUGH.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,184 times
lower the better for me... unless your really rich and can afford high gas prices

Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer View Post
lower the better for me... unless your really rich and can afford high gas prices

Let me go gas up my 45 foot bus lol. not! i forgot im not rich

Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times
Why gas in the U.S. is so cheap - May. 1, 2008

and one of the points is, because we in this country DEMAND low gas prices, there has never been much incentive for us to conserve or demand the car companies to give us good alternatives

only know are people even beginning to think of these things

and i can guarantee you, if the price of gas falls again to 1/gallon, people will stop conserving, and car companies will start ramping up the suvs and v8s etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive