Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

with my auto insurance dropping from $2400 to $1200 for my new car due to my safe driving record no way Id ever drink and drive. im now paying $700 less per year to insure my 2012 than I did to insure my 1992
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 12:06 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I have a friend that basically was scared ****less of ever drinking and driving again. He said he was pretty buzzed up and driving home, he could not operate the vehicle properly on the drive home, he decided to pull into some residential neighborhood and try to figure out what was wrong with the car, so he pulled into someones driveway to back out, he could not get the car all the way onto the street. The cops were called by a neighbor, the cops show up, my friend is super nice and compliant, tells the officers he can not start the vehicle and he thinks it was malfunctioning. The office has him do a field test (following the light), he passed that with flying colors and told the officer he had 3 drinks at a near by friends place. The officer backs the car onto the side of the road, parks his car and then drives him to the station. Once at the station he waited and the front office lady called him a taxi, the taxi drove him home. The next morning he could barely remember any of it. He had someone help him find the car. In the morning he still had his keys, his license, and everything else. He called the police station looking for the car, the officer did NOT report anything to anyone. So, to save the officers ass, my friend just up and walked around neighborhoods until he found the car. No ticket (even though he did deserve one) and he was driving the next day. Now I do congratulate him because this event change his life, not only did he stop drinking and driving, but it helped his emotional problems (why he drank in the first place).

Old 01-04-2014, 01:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
It depends on the state. It's a misdemeanor in most states if it's a vanilla DUI.

Usually, you pay fines, get a restricted license after a certain period of time and end up with a record if you plead guilty. A good DUI lawyer runs about 6K and they can sometimes plead it down to reckless.

There's also the shame and embarrassment. I had many friends get DUI's who were otherwise stellar individuals and they had to face their peers.

I've always heard that it hurts your employment chances but I haven't seen that personally. I know lots of people with high paying management jobs that have the scarlet letter. Most companies don't care about one DUI. I mean, the last president/VP of the US had DUIs.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times
Reading up on the above responses, DUI gets a stiff penalty, so why don't people who text and drive also get such punishments? In my experience texting and driving is a far more common danger on the road. I have been almost hit by people who are on the phone, not by drunk people.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Reading up on the above responses, DUI gets a stiff penalty, so why don't people who text and drive also get such punishments? In my experience texting and driving is a far more common danger on the road. I have been almost hit by people who are on the phone, not by drunk people.
Texting and driving doesn't have a huge lobbyist (MADD) behind it (semi-srs).

Old 01-04-2014, 02:13 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Texting and driving doesn't have a huge lobbyist (MADD) behind it (semi-srs).
Hopefully mothers won't need to start a MADD for texting. Illinois just made texting while driving illegal, many states will probably follow. I personally don't do it.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Tons of varied info here.....

In FL, you go to jail for the night, usually released on your own recognizance (as long as no one was injured/killed and your first DUI). If you blow then you can apply for a hardship license, no blow and you lose your license for 1 yr whether you win or lose the case.

Higher insurance costs (life and auto for sure), criminal record for life and a lot of hassle!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times
Where I live have major problems with DWIs so the mayor created a task force to do one thing, get the drunks off the streets. The first week had accounted in the high hundreds to over a thousand or so. That's a lot of boozers. The following weeks showed similar numbers. They were busy as heck.

I think they're still going as it is reported on the local papers online and I haven't been reading it lately.

A friend had several DWIs where it got to a year stay in jail. Once he's out he's at it again and busted again. 6 years, this time in the pen. After that he never touched a drop.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
You'll probably be denied entries into other countries - Canada for one.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Not in any of the instances I have seen. If you are compliant usually you will end up in your own bed at the end of the night/day after being processed.
I need to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive