Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

There are no reliability issues with Honda's V6 variable cylinder management. Not sure where that came from. Compare the long term reliability of the Honda V6, any year, with any Dodge/Chrysler V6. The newer Pentastar is a nice design, but its first year was not good. Maybe in five years it will have a track record comparable to a Honda. But I doubt it.

For the OP - I would buy a used Odyssey over a new Dodge 10 times out of 10. There is a reason the Dodge is cheaper. It is less demand and less resale value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm in a similar minivan purchase quandary as the OP, and the issue with Odyssey transmissions has me worried. I can do a lot of my own maintenance, so a bunch of small issues doesn't bother me as much as the prospect of needing a new transmission right after I purchase a used Odyssey.
I have a 2005 Odyssey, it supposed to have bad transmission but so far, I am okay. But I only have 35k miles on it.

I don't think 4th gen Odyssey has any transmission problem, so if you buy 2011+ MY Odyssey, you should be fine.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I love Chrysler Minivans, but in your case I would stick with what you know.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:22 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
I am not a proponent of a new car purchase but in your case, given those are what two choices decided, I would go new because of warranty. The Honda for me would be out of the question anyway because of what I consider to be a "cult" price premium due to great marketing. Also less dealership choice in the event of a repair. If I were to change the premise, a late model dodge or the t&c would be a the best choice and invest the difference. I have owned several unloved, unstylish used dodge Caravans that were passed down through the family and were excellent vehicles. One was purchase in lieu of a pickup truck for business. Best suggestion from a car dealer ever!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The OP has owned a Honda for a very long time. I don't think she has any problems getting it serviced. Not sure what time warp you are living in but Hondas are easy to get service for just about anywhere.

Cult pricing because of great marketing? That's funny. Honda gets more money for their cars than Dodge because people like their cars more.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I've had both.

Grand Caravan minivan was the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP has owned a Honda for a very long time. I don't think she has any problems getting it serviced. Not sure what time warp you are living in but Hondas are easy to get service for just about anywhere.

Cult pricing because of great marketing? That's funny. Honda gets more money for their cars than Dodge because people like their cars more.
And you are suggesting a purchase of a two year old vehicle for supposedly the same dollars with less warranty is prudent advice, right? Just because people like your brand better? (I assume the dogs will be OK as long as they have enough room) I do accept the advice of independent dealers I'm acquainted with that know specific models of many brands and can pick winners, whatever badge they have on them. If image is not important, there are good deals to be had. I am not that fond of any manufacturer. The finacial decisions I've made allow me to be here in my "time warp", thanks

Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrpct View Post
which i guess with that way of thinkng it would be the honda built in alabama since the chrysler is built in canada.
:d

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Go with the Honda. I prefer the Toyota Sienna, but I would NEVER buy a Chrysler minivan. Pick up a copy of Consumer Reports!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
I worked for a car rental agency across the street from LAX from 1988-92, and I learned back then never to buy a Chrysler product, and their minivans were just one reason why.

Thanks partially to those insane CAFE standards, Chrysler minivans came with a 4-cylinder engine as standard equipment, which made it impossible for that vehicle to get out of its own way.

I would never have considered buying one, since a blown head gasket or other engine-related failure was a foregone conclusion.

OTOH, the Odyssey has been the gold standard among minivans for decades, although Nissan & Toyota have both closed the gap in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive