Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times

Advertisements

I have a 2002 T&C that we have nurtured and cajoled to 90,000, but only just. Needed a new engine at 30K, thankfully under warranty, new A/C unit, and we have been dealing with a weird phantom power steering issue for the last 30K that we have spent thousands on to no avail. I will never buy or recommend another T&C. The 90's models run for ever, newer are just not the same quality. If I wasn't such a cheapskate I would have dumped it 10 years ago. Odyssey or Sienna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
My 93 Caravan had that same combo. What was your Voyager's oil economy? Sometimes I could go two fill-ups on a quart.
That I have forgotten, but I don't think it was any worse than any other car we had.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
American autos are less than 30% made in the USA, 70% overseas. We're paying mostly for assembly, packaging and retail processing.
The Amount of "American Made" varies by individual car. In order for a car to claim it has been "Made in America" it must have at least 75% of its content be from American sources and it must be assembled here. The Kogod Index goes a step further and counts impact of profits, R&D, etc. and is actually a pretty good measure:

Kogod Made in America Auto Index | Kogod School of Business, American University, Washington, DC

In 2013 production topped 16 million units in North America. Around 75% of that was produced in the US with the remainder being Canada and Mexico. Of the 12 million or so units produced in the US, around 80% of them were sold here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
My brother has a Dodge minivan, new,, and not only is it more comfortable than the Toyota minivan he had, it gets better fuel mpg, and runs a lot better power wise. I am not a minvan fan of any sort (actually I hate any and all of them!) , but I have to admit I was impressed by this Dodge minvan. It wasn't nearly as bad as minivans always are from any company! I call them ALL a mini traffic jam for a reason ! lol
My question here is what years were you comparing? If you are comparing a 2004 Sienna to a 2014 Dodge, yeah the Dodge seems pretty darn great. Compare the same years and maybe not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
It's a case of people have wore out what they had and with low finance rates it is easier to get a new car/truck then a few years old one. Also more cars/trucks are leased now than ever, which a Lease is considered a sale in new vehicle stats. It also shows how bad the idiots in DC have hurt our Nation with failed policies the last 7 years. I am all for hanging all of them regardless of party politics! Also the new vehicles being sold, there are a larger gap between low end and higher end vehicles now thean ever too. the "mid priced" cars are not doing well in sales.
Very true. Leasing now accounts for about 26% of all new car sales versus 15-20% pre-recession. A big part of the surge though is domestics and it has a lot to do with healthy residual values on domestic brand cars. Coupled with low interest rates, it makes leasing pretty attractive.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:57 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
Toyota's Camry has been the best-selling car in the nation for over a decade, and certainly qualifies as a 'mid-priced' car, alongside the Accord, Civic & Corolla, and since the spread between an Accord LX & a Civic LX is a mere $3K or so, it's also a mid-priced car.

Leasing accounted for around 27% of new car sales in 2013, one of the best years in history.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:20 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Go with the Honda. I prefer the Toyota Sienna, but I would NEVER buy a Chrysler minivan. Pick up a copy of Consumer Reports!
I discovered CR decades ago at my public library and I know from the very first Toyota/Honda have AWAYS been their top rated vehicles, and for good reason.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
If the Odyssey is too pricey for you, a Sienna would certainly be a fine second choice; my insurance agent buys nothing lease returns and has for many years, and has always saved a ton of $$$, so going that route is certainly an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive