Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times

Advertisements

What to know...Don't ride like a ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
mcquirk - I agree with your advice even if I don't follow all of it all the time. I don't own leather pants for instance but I do wear good boots. I'll look into knee pads and shin guards. I also wear a leather jacket.

For everyone, not just beginners, get a bike that fits you. One where you can put both feet flat on the ground when stopped. Back in the day (40+ years ago) I could and did ride dirt bikes but the new ones are just ridiculous. I need a ladder just to get on and a parachute to get off.

I have has a Honda 350, a BMW R75/5, no bike at all for a decade or so, a Kawasaki KZ 1300 (too tall for my leg reach problem forced sale) and now, a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter. At any temperature over 45 deg. I ride this thing for getting groceries or just to have fun. It is an easy bike to ride, has great brakes and can go over 80 mph.

OP - try practicing on a grassed or dirt parking lot. Squirrely handling happens at much slower speeds and the get offs hurt less. Enjoy. There are few things more fun than a ride on a back road on a brisk Fall day.

OH - If you ride in the wooded states in the North watch out for Moose. Everywhere else watch out for cattle. Hitting either can kill you.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
The 2 fitty is a great choice for a beginner. Will run forever, too.
The only thing that cant be overstated is to ride like you re in video game and cars get points to run you over, then conduct your affairs according. Most accidents happen at intersections. Cars, as many times as not, will left turn in front of a bike cuz they cant judge the speed. Also, Newer cars have serious blind-spot issues. NEVER assume a car will see you. Even you have made eye contact, NEVER assume the car will yield to you. Sad, but true. There is a "dominion by tonnage" mindset amongst some anti-cycle car drivers, too. Cars, scary stuff when you are on a bike
Have fun You'll get it by riding smart and taking your time
"Weight of way"

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey92 View Post
I just got a Honda Rebel 250 for a first bike and can't wait to take it out this spring.
Any pointers from veteran riders?
Once you throw a leg over....everybody / everything is trying to kill you.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I haven't owned a bike in many years, but I do drive a small hot rod where I am dwarfed on the road by SUVs and trailer trucks. I always assume the people around me are going to do something dumb, so I drive very defensively. I have had people swerve into my lane while trying to take a picture of my car, and everyone wants to race. You just have to constantly be on your toes and leave lots of room around you.

As for the comment about sportbike riders, those things are the armpit of the motorcycle world.....I hate them. Their riders have no respect for others, think the roads are for zooming in and out of traffic at high speed, and they have that annoying angry bee sound to them. Yes, those are generalizations, but 8 out of 10 of them drive that way.

Don
Sportbikes are the armpit of the motorcycle road? Geez.

So what does that make cruisers?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post

The twin-cheeked giant butts.

And proud of it!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
My best advice: Look where you want to go. On long, sweeping turns your head should almost be at 90 degrees to the left or right. It might make you feel a bit uneasy at first, but looking as far down the road or as far into the corner as you can is extremely important. If you look at the ground right in front of you, you won't keep a steady line. And on slow speed maneuvers, you'll be more likely to drop the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirk View Post
Take the MSF BRC before you even think of touching the bike.
I'm going to disagree with this slightly. If you live on a very quiet residential street and.or have access to a parking lot, I do recommend riding a little before the MSF course. First read up on technique and know what to do of course. My reasoning is this: If you already have a good feel for using the clutch, shifting, and basic turns you be as worried about it during the course.

I rode just a couple of times before the MSF course and I was one of the better students. Since I wasn't learning and processing the very basic stuff, I could focus more on counter-steering, vision through turns, etc.

If you are on a busy road though, I would recommend waiting till you've got the course under your belt.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:

I agree with don's comment.

It makes cruisers motorcycles for adults.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:20 AM

255 posts, read 464,178 times
Quote:
Once you throw a leg over....everybody / everything is trying to kill you.
Best short advice I've ever read. Kudos!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 AM

255 posts, read 464,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I agree with don's comment.

It makes cruisers motorcycles for adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive