Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM

45 posts, read 132,329 times

Advertisements

Just noticed that our one year old car has got a bunch of pretty obvious scratches on the side . It appears that it has happened while taking it out of the garage since i can see it has generously scratched our gray garage walls. ** ATTACHING PICTURES WITH THE POST **

What would be the best way to address this and take care of the scratches or at least hide them to the best possible extent? I see various suggestions online along with DIY kits but not sure whats best for these kind of scratches. If i need to take it to a shop, I would hate to spend anything more than $250-300 dollars since it is on the side with no dents and not very obvious.

Do body shops or dealers respray just specific areas of the car to address such issues? Or is respraying usually done only for entire body? I assume respraying specific areas would still be quite expensive?

If i just leave it as such, Is there a possibility of paint peeling out in future? There are no dents but extent of scratches is a bit unclear to me. I do not see any spots where it has totally peeled out. I tried washing with water to see if it was just paint from the garage wall that was sticking on the car but this is how it looked after cleaning.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint scratches on new car/advice needed (pics attached)-car_scratch1.jpeg   Paint scratches on new car/advice needed (pics attached)-car_scratch3.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Looks like paint transfer. It may not even need a respray but just a good buffing. If repaint is necessary, they can just repaint the affected area; no need to repaint the whole car. Even just respraying a specific area is usually a few hundred bucks though. Automotive painting has pretty high fixed costs; you're already a couple hundred bucks down on prep work and materials before they ever turn the spray nozzle on.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
That will buff right out. Go get some light rubbing compound, polish and a couple micro fiber pads.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I agree with Lux.

From the pictures . . . try a good Cleaner / Polish first and very possibly most, if not all, your problems will be gone. If that doesn't do it, try a good rubbing compound.

Good Luck

Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Polish it with a mild abrasive, give it a good coat of wax and that'll be your practice for the next inevitable scrape.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Well, All of the above except...
That will not buff with "mild compound".
Go to parts store and buy variety sand paper kit. Should have all wet-or-dry sheets from 600 all the way into 3200.
Start with 800 grit, damp rag seeping water down onto work area, and GENTLY sand the area. GENTLY. You do NOT want to go through paint to primer. Make sure water is continuously running to flush shavings off.
Proceed through 1000>1200>2400>all the way into 3200 grit.
MOST of this will disappear, if you were lucky. NOW you can buff it. You likely to end up with still noticeable mark on the edge, as it looks like it went through pain to primer.
Color match respray at paint shop is about $400.
You can go automotive paint store (Wesco here) or even Sherwin Williams, and they will mix you color match spray can. But that is costly and takes quite experience with how to spray. You can order spray cans with color match in auto parts stores. I just ordered 2 cans for my truck, few months ago, $8 each.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Do NOT start with sandpaper of any kind. Always start with the mildest substance. We can be pretty confident that ScratchX won't take care of this. But a product like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound used with a random orbital polisher might just take care of it. Only if that doesn't work should you consider a more aggressive strategy.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM

45 posts, read 132,329 times
Thanks for the all the quick input guys!! I will get back to this thread if i have any more questions on this, I am sure I will!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
I will echo hoffdano, DO NOT start with sandpaper. Shame on you ukrkoz.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:26 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Definitely don't start with sandpaper. In fact, unless you are experienced at detailing don't even try sandpaper if the compound doesn't work. Take it to a detail or body shop.

It does look like you have a good chance to get that buffed out though. At the very least it wil look much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive