Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
While I am a fan of 90's Japanese metal too, they are getting a bit tiring to the eye for me now. Nothing in the last 8 years coming out of Japan IMHO is worthy of their parents aside from the G35 coupe and to a lessor degree the 350z.

I do think it's America's turn in the next decade of design to put out some stunners.
The Challenger is nice, Ive been a fan since their conceptual drawings. The new Camaro? I think its fugly. The Solstice? Looks like a bug, hideous. The Imp? Mediocre.

What about the RX-8? TSX? RSX? TL? LS460? All clean designs which have inspired many other designs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Okay, my eyes have judged them... now I know why I like the styling of the '60s muscle cars!

That first one... I don't see anything "sleek" at all. It has the usual chopped-off rear end that you see on most cars these days. And the soap-dish "styling."

The 5th and 6th ones are no beauty queens, either (IMO).

And that Korean one looks like those toy cars I used to push around on the living room carpet.

I'll stick with cars that look like cars.
The first one happens to have a 360hp V8 that rips off 4.2 second 0-60 times. Im willing to bet that if it had Dodge badges on it, youd be singing it praises. I know how you domestic guys are, you just cant get past the Japanese badges. Thats cool though, its your prerogative.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The first one happens to have a 360hp V8 that rips off 4.2 second 0-60 times.
And a 427 Yenko Nova does it in 3.8 seconds.

Quote:
Im willing to bet that if it had Dodge badges on it, youd be singing it praises.
No, a strange looking car is a strange looking car, no matter what the badge says.

Quote:
I know how you domestic guys are, you just cant get past the Japanese badges. Thats cool though, its your prerogative
I happen to like high-performance cars that look like real cars. Like the '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum below. And, judging by the popularity of that car and others like it, I am far from being the only one.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
And a 427 Yenko Nova does it in 3.8 seconds. :
How many cubes? How much MPG? Does it have to meet strict emissions requirements? How about several cats and other choking devices, not to mention every luxury amenity known to man? The Lexus will smoke the Yenko in top speed, braking, handling, MPG, cruising, amenities, comfort, etc, etc. Now, which is the superior automobile again? Surely not that aged dinosaur Yenko.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Sorry but it shouldn't matter displacement of an engine in regards to MPG....

Or power.

If one manufacturer gets 600HP out of a 6.2 liter superharged V8 why should it be somehow downplayed because Ferrari got 500HP out of 4 liters to use an example??

Funny thing is the current model Z-06 is more capable than most modern supercars but is condemned because in the end it is US made....and of course $100000 cheaper than it's competition.

There is nothing that high tech in a Z-06 but it is incredibly fast,handles better than most Ferraris,etc and looks great doing it.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Here we go again.... A 200hp Civic keeps up with many sedans that are much more powerful. Ever heard of power-to-weight ratio?
No, I've never heard of that in the 20 years I've been turbocharging and building custom cars. Those Lotus' that were in my shop for turbos are a mystery to me.

197hp and 2877lb is not that good really. (nevermind the wrong wheel drive.) A 14.6:1 hp/weight ratio.

The afore mentioned family sedean at 270hp and 3300lbs has a 12.2:1 hp/weight ratio.

Ooops.

Perhaps a better race would be a Hyundai Sonata at 14.3:1 hp/weight ratio. lol

200hp (And that for a short very high rpm peak) is a joke in todays market. Period. Nevermind that whopping 139 pound-feet of torque. ROFL

You ever hear of linear power? That would be a combination of hp AND torque.

Quote:
And all Hondas are not sports cars?
You were talking about Civics. The S2000 is the only car that fits that description in Honda's lineup. The NSX is not a sports car.

Quote:
The S2000 had a 2.0L 4 cylinder that made 240 hp and ran high 13s stock. At its debut, it was faster than a 5.7L Camaro Z28 SS and was FAR SUPERIOR in the handling dept too.
ARE YOU CRAZY.

The LS1 Camaro was a 12 second car out of the box. The S2000 on it's BEST day destroying the clutch (That torque thing again) MIGHT get into the 13's. MAYBE. The same abuse on an SS put the car square in the 12's and it could do it time and time again without self destructing.

The S2000 in that same drag race would pull about a 100mph trap speed.

The SS will pull about 110mph. In other words, it will be walking away from the Honda like they hit the brakes.

Handling is better? You SURE about that?

Why in the SCCA stock class would they put the 1996+ Camaro in A-Stock right next to the S2000 then? And this is on a tight autocross ciruit where you would think the Honda would shine!

SCCA Solo II Car Classifications: Stock by Class

And back in 2000 before cars like the C6 Vette were out the Camaro was in SUPER STOCK while the S2000 was still in A-Stock

SCCA Solo II Car Classifications: Stock by Class

The LS1 Camaro was far and above a better performing car than an S2000. You can argue one was more "nimble" or one might have "felt" better than the other but at the end of the day, the Camaro would turn a better lap and quarter mile time. Period.

Maybe if you actually RACED on a track like Limerock or the Glen and actually LOOKED under the front of a Z28 you would know what you are talking about. (Camaro has an all aluminum subframe, aluminum control arms, multi piston calipers and LARGE rotors etc etc)

Last edited by JViello; 01-19-2008 at 08:17 AM..

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
What about the RX-8?
You mean the Ford Ranger? Nice 3rd door. No thanks. To much like the fugly 2+2 version of the Z cars past.

Quote:
TSX?
Slab sided 4 door.

Quote:
RSX?
Eh...kind of boring. A modern version of the Celica GTS. Plus another FWD, small engine car.

Quote:
TL?
Nice, but again - 4dr sedan with a run of the mill V6.

Quote:
LS460?
Another 4dr.

The new 2dr Accord is okay I guess...but still lacking soul.

Nothing great coming out of Japan like the 90's. I just don't see it.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM

17 posts, read 39,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Please clarify. Will '09 be the year when a manual is readily available?
As of now it will be available in the 2009 MY.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 39,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I wish more people would open their eyes regarding the new GM products such as the G8, CTS (Car of the year), Malibu (Top 10), Tahoe, Pickups etc.

Light years ahead of the products they had out in the 90's. Well said.
Thanks. It is sad to see all these American people bashing all the American Car companies based on opinions of cars from many years ago.
GM is still the biggest car company in America and is beating Toyota by 1.2 million units in American sales.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
The first one happens to have a 360hp V8 that rips off 4.2 second 0-60 times. Im willing to bet that if it had Dodge badges on it, youd be singing it praises. I know how you domestic guys are, you just cant get past the Japanese badges. Thats cool though, its your prerogative.
Last I've seen is 4.6 seconds but whatever - I'll give you a pass on that.

So Lexus finally joined the rest of the world and released a 400hp sedan. Nothing special in the end.

No one has done that before.

You need a day at the drag strip in a real hotrod V8 car with a set of slicks that lifts the front end 3 feet off the ground. You won't go around quoting 0-60 times anymore, I can promise you that. lol

YouTube - sick nova bumper drag wheelie

YouTube - Drag Racer Wheelie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive