Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Id agree once again. The WRC market here is much larger than most originally thought. I was one of them, staying up until 3am to watch Rally Sweden on Speedvision. lol Anyways, the success of the WRX and Evo has been quite astonishing to myself, and to the automakers. And had Ford brought us the RS, I would have also considered buying one, but the problem is that my fave WRC drivers are Makkinen and Solberg (which pushed me in the WRX direction--which I never bought anyways haha). lol As of now, Im more partial to the Evo myself (IV), what a machine!

Power wise though, I dont think the RS can hang with any WRX or Evo. Wouldnt it fit more along the lines of the Talon TSi or Eclipse GSX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id agree once again. The WRC market here is much larger than most originally thought. I was one of them, staying up until 3am to watch Rally Sweden on Speedvision. lol Anyways, the success of the WRX and Evo has been quite astonishing to myself, and to the automakers. And had Ford brought us the RS, I would have also considered buying one, but the problem is that my fave WRC drivers are Makkinen and Solberg (which pushed me in the WRX direction--which I never bought anyways haha). lol As of now, Im more partial to the Evo myself (IV), what a machine!

Power wise though, I dont think the RS can hang with any WRX or Evo. Wouldnt it fit more along the lines of the Talon TSi or Eclipse GSX?
I think the older 4-cylinder RS was about 210 or 220HP. So it wasn't a powerhouse. But it also did not compete in quite the same market strata as the Evo (neither does the standard WRX for that matter -- it saves that task for the STi) and so it didn't cost nearly as much. But even if they had brought it here, the dealbreaker would have been that it was still FWD.

On the same token, Mitsu is thinking of making a "mid-market" Lancer Turbo with AWD to compete in the "one step below hyper" market where the standard WRX is.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Whoever gave me negative rep for this post telling me I "need to be nicer" to someone who calls me "kid" can bite me.
Wasn't me ki...er, "friend."

Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, GM is God. Yes, GM offers the most dynamic engines and chassis on the planet. Yes, GM is the master of reliability. Yes, GM is the supreme definition of build quality. Yes, unless its a GM, it sucks. There, we get the point already, youre victorious!!! Now, go home. Oh, and take your stack of biased, cro-magnon man GM Performance magazines with you (they make good TP!).
I guess it would surprise you that I have a Lotus, Toyota and Nissan (All turbocharged) in the garage next to the 9 second Camaro then? My daily right now is a GMC 2500 HD. Sold the EVO about 10 months ago as my wife got sick of driving it too...real crappy daily driver IMO.

Oh wait, I also own a custom 1000cc 220hp Canadian made Skidoo with a GASP Austrian engine! (rotax) lol

Almost forgot the customized Yamaha Roadstar as well!

I simply love cars, and can give credit where it's due and am not blinded by brand loyalty. Take a lesson.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I guess it would surprise you that I have a Lotus, Toyota and Nissan (All turbocharged) in the garage next to the 9 second Camaro then? My daily right now is a GMC 2500 HD. Sold the EVO about 10 months ago as my wife got sick of driving it too...real crappy daily driver IMO.

Oh wait, I also own a custom 1000cc 220hp Canadian made Skidoo with a GASP Austrian engine! (rotax) lol

Almost forgot the customized Yamaha Roadstar as well!

I simply love cars, and can give credit where it's due and am not blinded by brand loyalty. Take a lesson.
So you have a Esprit, a Supra, MR2 turbo or Celica All-Trac, and a 300ZX or Skyline, eh? Yeah, thats almost believable.

And another thing... if you bought a EVO expecting it to be a great daily driver, it just goes to show that you know absolutely NOTHING about Evos. Who the heck expects an EVO to be a good daily driver? LOL

Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Uh.....how 'bout them Patriots, eh?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:21 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
Has anyone ever checked out the Aussie V8 Supercars? They are simply amazing to me. It beats the dopes over at NASCAR. Even their doors open! Those things are doing 300 KPH (180 MPH). All the while they are beating and banging their way around the track. Ford vs. Holden (GM). It's my next favorite after WRC.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfry View Post
Has anyone ever checked out the Aussie V8 Supercars? They are simply amazing to me. It beats the dopes over at NASCAR. Even their doors open! Those things are doing 300 KPH (180 MPH). All the while they are beating and banging their way around the track. Ford vs. Holden (GM). It's my next favorite after WRC.
The American cars at NASCAR have been doing 180 mph since the 1960s.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
So you have a Esprit, a Supra, MR2 turbo or Celica All-Trac, and a 300ZX or Skyline, eh? Yeah, thats almost believable.
Ah, no.

Elise, MR2 Spyder, 200sx SE-R. In case you missed it, I have custom turbocharged and built cars for the last 20 years. Sold the business a year ago. All of these cars were aquired from various customers and/or shops along the way and rebuilt by myself to how I wanted them. I might be a little older than you think.

Would you like to see pictures.

Quote:
And another thing... if you bought a EVO expecting it to be a great daily driver, it just goes to show that you know absolutely NOTHING about Evos. Who the heck expects an EVO to be a good daily driver? LOL
It actually does make a great daily driver - 4dr, AWD, decent on gas (For an AWD car) etc...just not for me anymore. I'm getting a little to old for the harsh ride and seats on a daily basis. That's all. Other than that, the car was a pussycat. Mildly modded, 12.0@116mph car.

So...what do YOU drive boy wonder?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Would you like to see pictures.
Hey, this is an automotive forum... if you post pics, I will post pics of my project!

Quote:
It actually does make a great daily driver - 4dr, AWD, decent on gas (For an AWD car) etc...just not for me anymore. I'm getting a little to old for the harsh ride and seats on a daily basis.
To be a good citizen in the eyes of these people you HAVE to drive a freakin chuck wagon. Not me! (68 DeVille, 95 Fleetwood Brougham, 93 9C1/Caprice).

Have you considered biodiesel for your 2500?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive