Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:55 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Like many car guys/gals I've been pretty excited about the prospects of the Pontiac G8.

Now, the latest Auto Week says they will only be offered with automatics. My 80 y/o mom and metrosexual brother-in-law will be thrilled to hear that, I guess.

I don't get it. The platform already has the V8/manual combination in Australia. Other than Lutz, are there any enthusiasts left in GM?

HEY GM - there's a difference between "driving" and "operating a motor vehicle". Do something for the former.
I think that they want to only sell automatics b/c they know consumers would rather talk on the cell phone and drive and not worry about shifting w/ a manual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 05:36 PM

17 posts, read 39,698 times
First off the G8 will be offered in a manual but it will be a limited production vehicle for 2008 model year. I am one of the biggest Pontiac dealers and I will only be getting 12 to sell for 2008 MY. But I saw it recently and it is a HIT!!!

A lot of you are sadly mistaken and I wish the public knew more about all the achievements GM has made in quality recently. Not to mention they back there cars with a fully transferable 100,000 mile 5 year warranty.
Anybody see all the new products GM has come out. All are better looking and driving than most of the cars out there and GM has been rewarded by all editors. The CTS, new Vibe, G8, Malibu, G6 GXP Street Edition, Yukon Denali, Escalade, Yukon or Tahoe Hybrid, and on and on.
Get with the program before you bash the cars your country makes!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfibraio View Post
First off the G8 will be offered in a manual but it will be a limited production vehicle for 2008 model year. I am one of the biggest Pontiac dealers and I will only be getting 12 to sell for 2008 MY. But I saw it recently and it is a HIT!!!

A lot of you are sadly mistaken and I wish the public knew more about all the achievements GM has made in quality recently. Not to mention they back there cars with a fully transferable 100,000 mile 5 year warranty.
Anybody see all the new products GM has come out. All are better looking and driving than most of the cars out there and GM has been rewarded by all editors. The CTS, new Vibe, G8, Malibu, G6 GXP Street Edition, Yukon Denali, Escalade, Yukon or Tahoe Hybrid, and on and on.

Please, American cars were trash from the 70's until the early 2000's. I am sure they have come a long way but I will never forget how bad they were, and let's not forget about terrible resale values.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfibraio View Post

You wont know its a "HIT" until you see sales figures. And GM has definitely been making strides in quality, but go drive a Accord (basic Japanese transporation) and then, say, a G6 and youll see the difference. Like I said, the Accord is basic Honda stuff, but is still many years ahead of its American competetion in terms of ergonomics, engine durability, build quality, etc. There's a reason its been the best selling car (and the Camry too) for as long as it has. Whats sad is that Honda came to these shores DECADES after the Big 3 were making automobiles, and passed them not long after. Speaking of "getting with teh program", how long did it take the Big 3 to get with the program before they finally realized "duh, maybe we should look at our quality issues"???? I find it funny how the Accord is better quality wise than most American cars, and thats not even considered a over-engineered car like a Lexus or Acura. As for new American designs? Theyre getting better, but are still fugly. In fact, most cars these days are quite fugly. And the Vibe? Thats a Toyota anyways. I figured a dealer rep would know that kind of info. And the whole Denali, Escalade, Tahoe thing is also retarded. Theyre pretty much all the same vehicles, just rebadged and with a few gimmicky options to spruce them up. Give me a Land Cruiser or GX470 ANY DAY over a POS Escalade. And tell GM to quit puttin on bling-bling-yo rims on their SUVs, they do no good when it comes time to off-road. Not like any GM (besides Hummers) has good off-road prowess anyways, but hey!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Please, American cars were trash from the 70's until the early 2000's. I am sure they have come a long way but I will never forget how bad they were, and let's not forget about terrible resale values.
Depends on the car. The '90s (and '80s) Lincoln Town Cars/Ford Crown Victoria/Mercury Grand Marquis used the same engine that police cars and taxi cabs had. They were well known to run up hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal repairs. I expect my '95 Town Car, with 115,000 miles to last a long time.

Also certain models of Chevy and Ford trucks were known for their longevity.
Same with several other models of other cars.

Claiming that all of them were trash from the '70s to the early 2000s is a gross generalization.

And there were quite a few European cars that didn't exactly have admirable records... some models of the Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW, etc in the '70s-'90s were trouble-prone.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Claiming that all of them were trash from the '70s to the early 2000s is a gross generalization
Id agree with you here. But the funny thing is, I cant think of a stand-out performer either. About the closest thing I can think of were the Ford F-series, but even those were plagued with problems.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id agree with you here. But the funny thing is, I cant think of a stand-out performer either. About the closest thing I can think of were the Ford F-series, but even those were plagued with problems.
Some of those owners of 200,000 or 300,000-mile F-series would probably disagree about them being plagued with problems.

I can think of a stand-out performer... the Lincoln Town Car.
Many owners have run up an easy 200,000+ miles on them. Even my doctor had an '89 TC and drove it to 250,000 miles when he bought a '99 TC.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Some of those owners of 200,000 or 300,000-mile F-series would probably disagree about them being plagued with problems.

I can think of a stand-out performer... the Lincoln Town Car.
Many owners have run up an easy 200,000+ miles on them. Even my doctor had an '89 TC and drove it to 250,000 miles when he bought a '99 TC.
Well, 250K is pretty good for an American car, but Ive had Toyota's that had that many miles, with several in our club with over 300K and were tickin like the day they were born. Of the 2 years I owned that truck (87 Toyota p/u), the only repair I made was I had to replace an axle because I ripped the CV boot on a rock while off-roading. 250K on a Japanese car is considered "just breaking it in". Seriously, the engines in those trucks are probably the most reliable on earth (22R, 22RE), no joke. Ive seen some with 600K and still kickin. Amazing!

As for the F-series, my bro's old work truck was a 85 Ford F-150 (2WD), which did have a little over 200K on the odo, BUT had 2 trannies and a new motor (which also needed a new head a year after replacement). Thats pretty bad. I never knew why the owner didnt pony up and get a new work truck for the guys, but thats another story.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Well, 250K is pretty good for an American car, but Ive had Toyota's that had that many miles, with several in our club with over 300K and were tickin like the day they were born.
250k is pretty good for any car. There are quite of few imported cars which didn't last anywhere near that figure. Do you think only imported cars can reach high-mileage figures?

Quote:
Of the 2 years I owned that truck (87 Toyota p/u), the only repair I made was I had to replace an axle because I ripped the CV boot on a rock while off-roading. 250K on a Japanese car is considered "just breaking it in". Seriously, the engines in those trucks are probably the most reliable on earth (22R, 22RE), no joke. Ive seen some with 600K and still kickin. Amazing!
I'd rather have an engine that is just as reliable, but has a lot of torque (torque=fun to drive). For instance, some years back, the car with the highest mileage with a nonrebuilt (original) engine listed in the Guinness Book of World Record was a 1979 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with 576,000 miles (425-cu-in engine).
Both of us can list examples of a particular car... like someone in Australia who is a member of a Cadillac mailing list and owns a '74 Fleetwood Brougham with 440,000 miles or the person on a Lincoln message board who owns one with 470,000 miles. A better indicator, though, is the overall record of thousands of cars.

Quote:
As for the F-series, my bro's old work truck was a 85 Ford F-150 (2WD), which did have a little over 200K on the odo, BUT had 2 trannies and a new motor (which also needed a new head a year after replacement). Thats pretty bad. I never knew why the owner didnt pony up and get a new work truck for the guys, but thats another story
Again, posting one example does not mean it happens to all of them. There are quite a few F-150s out there driving around with the original engine and transmission.
I can also post single examples of a Volvo or Mercedes or BMW or Toyota, etc which needed a new trans or engine before it reached 100,000 miles.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
Quote:
IMO, if its a sporty car with a sporting engine, it should ONLY have a manual, like Honda does.
Honda civic is a sports car? Maybe i read you wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive