Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfibraio View Post
First off the G8 will be offered in a manual but it will be a limited production vehicle for 2008 model year. I am one of the biggest Pontiac dealers and I will only be getting 12 to sell for 2008 MY.
Please clarify. Will '09 be the year when a manual is readily available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfibraio View Post
First off the G8 will be offered in a manual but it will be a limited production vehicle for 2008 model year. I am one of the biggest Pontiac dealers and I will only be getting 12 to sell for 2008 MY. But I saw it recently and it is a HIT!!!

A lot of you are sadly mistaken and I wish the public knew more about all the achievements GM has made in quality recently. Not to mention they back there cars with a fully transferable 100,000 mile 5 year warranty.
Anybody see all the new products GM has come out. All are better looking and driving than most of the cars out there and GM has been rewarded by all editors. The CTS, new Vibe, G8, Malibu, G6 GXP Street Edition, Yukon Denali, Escalade, Yukon or Tahoe Hybrid, and on and on.
Get with the program before you bash the cars your country makes!
I wish more people would open their eyes regarding the new GM products such as the G8, CTS (Car of the year), Malibu (Top 10), Tahoe, Pickups etc.

Light years ahead of the products they had out in the 90's. Well said.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Honda civic is a sports car? Maybe i read you wrong
They have the Si models (200 hp) which are pretty decent and make great track cars with small suspension mods. Dont confuse the Si with run of the mill EX or LX models, theyre worlds apart.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'd rather have an engine that is just as reliable, but has a lot of torque (torque=fun to drive)
So if what you said was true, Id have "fun" driving a Duramax GMC everyday? GOD NO!!!!! Those are SUPER torquey, but about as fun as a lobotomy. Id rather commit suicide by slashing my throat with a butter knife than be sentenced to drive one of those behemoths everyday.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They have the Si models (200 hp) which are pretty decent and make great track cars with small suspension mods. Dont confuse the Si with run of the mill EX or LX models, theyre worlds apart.
A "hotted up" 200hp Civic in the land of 270hp run of the mill family sedans is not saying much.

Hondas are not sports cars. Period.

They CAN be "sporty" but they are not sports cars. Sorry.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
A "hotted up" 200hp Civic in the land of 270hp run of the mill family sedans is not saying much.

Hondas are not sports cars. Period.

They CAN be "sporty" but they are not sports cars. Sorry.
Here we go again.... A 200hp Civic keeps up with many sedans that are much more powerful. Ever heard of power-to-weight ratio?

And all Hondas are not sports cars? Say that to people that own these:
http://www.used-car-buffalo.com/vehicles/2007HondaS2000.jpg (broken link)

The S2000 had a 2.0L 4 cylinder that made 240 hp and ran high 13s stock. At its debut, it was faster than a 5.7L Camaro Z28 SS and was FAR SUPERIOR in the handling dept too. And the Acura NSX is a aluminum body, mid-engined V6 exotic that gave Ferrari's a run for their money, for about 1/3rd of the price.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
250k is pretty good for any car. There are quite of few imported cars which didn't last anywhere near that figure. Do you think only imported cars can reach high-mileage figures?

I'd rather have an engine that is just as reliable, but has a lot of torque (torque=fun to drive). For instance, some years back, the car with the highest mileage with a nonrebuilt (original) engine listed in the Guinness Book of World Record was a 1979 Cadillac Sedan de Ville with 576,000 miles (425-cu-in engine).

Both of us can list examples of a particular car... like someone in Australia who is a member of a Cadillac mailing list and owns a '74 Fleetwood Brougham with 440,000 miles or the person on a Lincoln message board who owns one with 470,000 miles. A better indicator, though, is the overall record of thousands of cars.

Again, posting one example does not mean it happens to all of them. There are quite a few F-150s out there driving around with the original engine and transmission.
I can also post single examples of a Volvo or Mercedes or BMW or Toyota, etc which needed a new trans or engine before it reached 100,000 miles.
Ahh hello Fleet! I am a fellow Cadillac aficionado. Right now i'm doing a resto job on my '68 DeVille and I picked up a '95 Fleetwood this past summer...

For anyone wondering I can attest to the numbers Fleet is giving. Americans have ALWAYS made the best cars in the world... its just a matter of finding them. Yes finding them... thats because the Big 3 have put out more models than any other car company... Americans have engineered more engines as well. Hell some American engines were put into production cars for over 40 years!!!! And they still to this day provide competitive performance, even in their stock form.

People who put the label of junk on American cars, of any decade, are terribly misinformed. First of all most of these people don't even know how their car works and they will label it as junk just because it gives them some minor problems... thats what really kills me. Just about any full-size American car has always been a success... always. The junk cars you speak of in the 70's and 80's are the result of American innovation in trying to change over to a whole different style of car... your going to get failures its simple statistics.

I have not been pleased with what the big 3 have been rolling out the door over the past 6 years or so... but thats changing and everyone knows it. I will never buy a foreign car, not that their junk, its just that it doesn't do this country any good to buy them, nor the American manufacturer that I am loyal to, GM.

People are gradually getting more and more ignorant to cars and everyone is basing their opinions off of someone else. Get in there and see for yourself, educate yourself on the mechanics of the machine that you trust your life with on a daily basis. Learn that buying a foreign car is only destroying the economy that you live off of.

I will always be a Cadillac fanatic but I will always make it an effort to keep the Big 3 on top, in the US at least.

Long live GM and Ford and Chrysler!!!

Hey Fleet, what clubs are you part of? Spend any time on CadillacForums.com? CadillacLasalleClub.org? Good to see a fellow enthusiast

Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here we go again.... A 200hp Civic keeps up with many sedans that are much more powerful. Ever heard of power-to-weight ratio?

And all Hondas are not sports cars? Say that to people that own these:

The S2000 had a 2.0L 4 cylinder that made 240 hp and ran high 13s stock. At its debut, it was faster than a 5.7L Camaro Z28 SS and was FAR SUPERIOR in the handling dept too. And the Acura NSX is a aluminum body, mid-engined V6 exotic that gave Ferrari's a run for their money, for about 1/3rd of the price.
Handling? Well just as you have a power to weight ratio you should have a handling (if it could be quantized) to weight ratio... and then compare. The Camaro is land barge compared to those cars yet still is competitive.

Hey, why don't you explain forced induction to all these people.... Can you make 1500HP out of one of those 2.0L blocks?

Looks like true power is only possible with American made blocks...

Nelson Racing Engines - "We Build Horsepower!" (http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/engines-tt.html - broken link)

Yeah that is a private company, but my point is these American blocks have much more potential for power than foreign blocks do.

Oh wait... your going to say something about those being "quarter mile" blocks... What about the GM Ecotec blocks? Yeah... forget those foreign blocks, i'll stick with Domestic thank you.

Fact is... foreigners are finally starting to wake up to something that Americans have had mastered for just shy of a century.... TORQUE. HP is a product of torque... torque is what an engine is all about in my opinion, without torque you can't move anything. Foreigners don't make torque until their engines are nearly red-lining (for the most part).

Like I said people... educate yourself on the workings of your car and engines in general.... you will realize misconceptions that you once had.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:43 AM

609 posts, read 2,243,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Handling? Well just as you have a power to weight ratio you should have a handling (if it could be quantized) to weight ratio... and then compare. The Camaro is land barge compared to those cars yet still is competitive.

Hey, why don't you explain forced induction to all these people.... Can you make 1500HP out of one of those 2.0L blocks?

Looks like true power is only possible with American made blocks...

Nelson Racing Engines - "We Build Horsepower!" (http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/engines-tt.html - broken link)

Yeah that is a private company, but my point is these American blocks have much more potential for power than foreign blocks do.

Oh wait... your going to say something about those being "quarter mile" blocks... What about the GM Ecotec blocks? Yeah... forget those foreign blocks, i'll stick with Domestic thank you.

Fact is... foreigners are finally starting to wake up to something that Americans have had mastered for just shy of a century.... TORQUE. HP is a product of torque... torque is what an engine is all about in my opinion, without torque you can't move anything. Foreigners don't make torque until their engines are nearly red-lining (for the most part).

Like I said people... educate yourself on the workings of your car and engines in general.... you will realize misconceptions that you once had.
How many American cars are in the F1 circuit???

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,407 times
Ooooo! The kid takes a hard left to the jaw. He's reeling, struggling to stay on his feet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive