Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Texas regular plates are about $65, and emissions/ safety inspection is about $40. When I started driving,(1981) the plates were $15.90 and safety was like $12. But one of our democrat legislatures & governors tripled the plate fee. Really hit a 16 yr old student in the wallet, and I never forgot it.

I was just telling a friend of mine the same thing the other day. The scumbucket democrat that TRIPLED the registration fees was Governor Mark White. We had a good run with Bill Clements as governor and then this tax and spend idiot was elected. Before White, the fee for vehicles was based on the weight of the vehicle. The heavier the vehicle, the higher the fee. It only made sense. Then that idiot tripled the amount, and then charged for the AGE of the vehicle, with older cars costing less! His way of thinking was that poor people drove older cars, which was probably true, but the older cars were heavier, thus tearing up the roads more, which is where the registration money goes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Michigan is currently $79. No statewide inspection required.

Historically, my dad used to have to pay $16 a year in Wisconsin, back in the 1950s, which in terms of today's dollar, was about twice as high as it is now. In the '50s, it was $1.50 in Mississippi, and Louisiana plated cars for two years, for $2.50 as I recall. And that included a new physical plate every time.
Yep, Michigan is cheap and my older truck is only $54.00.
It's an extra ten bucks for access to all state parks (you get an extra sticker on your license plate).
Here registration is due on your birthday; I just got my reminders today.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
I would think that the Salt Belt states:
Salt Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fare poorly in terms of automobile cost of ownership.

As an experiment, I sprayed the back of my license plates (unpainted galvanized steel) with clear polyurethane. The license plate screws were pitting after only a month of salt exposure, so I replaced them with stainless steel screws.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:43 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
The state auto tabs/plates in Arkansas cost only $3 if you have a DD214 showing you are a veteran.

Otherwise, $27

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Here in Washington a tab renewal is about $50, all in.
Yes, I just paid $43 to get new tabs. Not bad compared to California, where I paid a couple hundred or more per year!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Some of the figures quoted may be misleading. Some states have very low license plate fees, but then charge a separate personal property tax on vehicles that can be several hundred dollars per year. Kansas is one of those.

In some states, the registration fee is a flat fee for just about any vehicle. Texas is an example. Some states base the registration fee only on the weight and age of the vehicle. New Mexico is one of those. Some states base the registration fee on both the weight and the value of the vehicle, the latter declining as the vehicle ages. Colorado and Wyoming do this, as an example.

Using my former state of Colorado as an example, a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive new model pickup will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 or more per year for plates (no, that's not with sales tax, that's just the registration fee)--that figure dropping every two years until the truck is 10 years old, when it will bottom out at $100+ per year. Wyoming is somewhat less initially, but doesn't does not bottom out as low.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I was just telling a friend of mine the same thing the other day. The scumbucket democrat that TRIPLED the registration fees was Governor Mark White. We had a good run with Bill Clements as governor and then this tax and spend idiot was elected. Before White, the fee for vehicles was based on the weight of the vehicle. The heavier the vehicle, the higher the fee. It only made sense. Then that idiot tripled the amount, and then charged for the AGE of the vehicle, with older cars costing less! His way of thinking was that poor people drove older cars, which was probably true, but the older cars were heavier, thus tearing up the roads more, which is where the registration money goes!
Yes, that was him. And I voted against him in the next election! Really reflects on your job when they put the guy you defeated back in office in the next election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree. It's probably one of the most expensive vanity plates I know of. If another state is greater than$75/year, please chime in.
Check out the vanity plate prices here in Texas. There are all kinds of special plates available.

Options & Pricing

Most expensive is a 1 yr registration for a 7 letter custom plate for $395..... on top of the regular $65 annual registration fee. Of course if you prepay for 10 years they drop it to $79.50 per year + the $65 fee per year!

Cheapest is $55 for 1 yr plus the $65 fee, or $29.50 for 10 years prepaid plus the $65 fee per year.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
S

Using my former state of Colorado as an example, a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive new model pickup will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 or more per year for plates (no, that's not with sales tax, that's just the registration fee)--that figure dropping every two years until the truck is 10 years old, when it will bottom out at $100+ per year. .
I remember a few decades ago about a Colorado extended family that got a dealer''s license, listed all their family cars as inventory, traded in enough cars every year to maintain the minimum dealer volume threshold, and drove all year on dealer plates. They saved thousands of dollars on license fees for about a dozen cars.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,616 times
Austin, Texas here...Pickup is $64.25 and Towed RV is $57.50. This is for one year. There are also yearly inspection and emission fees but don't remember what they cost us. I have been known to stretch the inspections out a bit so I average a new inspection about every 14 months.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I remember a few decades ago about a Colorado extended family that got a dealer''s license, listed all their family cars as inventory, traded in enough cars every year to maintain the minimum dealer volume threshold, and drove all year on dealer plates. They saved thousands of dollars on license fees for about a dozen cars.
Colorado has really cracked down on that in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive