Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I think the 429 was the big motor in 74. I know we didn't have it. More likely found in state highway patrol cars. We were inner city with really no need for them.
Yes, the 429 engine had a lot of torque (as did the big 460 engine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm sorry but a police radio isn't much good if they didn't get a license plate number on the car. Cars like the GT500, ZR1, GTR, SLR, and others can do 200MPH, they'll find an exit and be miles away before a police car can radio in assistance and get to those areas. On the interstate there are too many exits and too much ground to cover if you're dealing with a super fast car.
A helicopter could get the license plate number.

Also, in many places you can't really drive a car at 200 mph because of the dips and bumps in the road which would cause the driver to lose control.

A few years ago, someone took a Ferrari Enzo up to 194 mph on Pacific Coast Highway, near the city of Malibu, just because he crashed it.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You got to have an airport nearby for that to work.
actually a busy airport........like 30+ flights an hour.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmioquartiere View Post
Dam! you've got all the answers. You're my hero.
Gotta remember all the security cameras

Old 01-12-2014, 07:13 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Police package means a heavy duty alternator, battery, shocks. That's about it. I drove one for 30 years. I would never ever ever buy a used police car.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Police package means a heavy duty alternator, battery, shocks. That's about it. I drove one for 30 years. I would never ever ever buy a used police car.

Don't you know that a police package means you can ask 2k more for your vehicle and some fool will pay it?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Easy.......just drive into an airport parking garage (they can't fly over)!

Then what? lol

Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A helicopter could get the license plate number.

Also, in many places you can't really drive a car at 200 mph because of the dips and bumps in the road which would cause the driver to lose control.

A few years ago, someone took a Ferrari Enzo up to 194 mph on Pacific Coast Highway, near the city of Malibu, just because he crashed it.
I have seen enough street racing videos to know that the right car can outrun the police before a chopper could be called in, before a radio could assemble backup on all the off ramps, before a cop could read a license plate. 200MPH may not be doable on most interstates, but I've seen many videos where these cars will go 160-180.

Does anyone ever wonder about "America's Wildest Police Chases"? You ever wonder why all the cars that run are minivans, old beat up cars, and old trucks? Because those are the videos where they catch people. How many sports cars have you seen on this program that the cops run down and catch?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have seen enough street racing videos to know that the right car can outrun the police before a chopper could be called in, before a radio could assemble backup on all the off ramps, before a cop could read a license plate. 200MPH may not be doable on most interstates, but I've seen many videos where these cars will go 160-180.

Does anyone ever wonder about "America's Wildest Police Chases"? You ever wonder why all the cars that run are minivans, old beat up cars, and old trucks? Because those are the videos where they catch people. How many sports cars have you seen on this program that the cops run down and catch?
Yes, maybe 160-180 mph. It depends on the road and conditions. Almost impossible to drive that fast on the streets out here... too much traffic and/or traffic lights.

On the freeway, again, too many bumps and dips... a car going that fast would probably get airborne and the driver would lose control.

I saw a police chase involving a Corvette. I think he took it up to 120 mph, then crashed into the back of a big semi-truck and ended up off the road.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, maybe 160-180 mph. It depends on the road and conditions. Almost impossible to drive that fast on the streets out here... too much traffic and/or traffic lights.

On the freeway, again, too many bumps and dips... a car going that fast would probably get airborne and the driver would lose control.

I saw a police chase involving a Corvette. I think he took it up to 120 mph, then crashed into the back of a big semi-truck and ended up off the road.
Lol yes, that's pretty much the only "sports" car chase video that these programs will show. 99% are them chasing down minivans and old beaters, the other 1% are sports cars who crashed, not that they caught up with.

I know 150MPH is doable on highways or interstates, because I've done it. 160-180MPH in a high quality car on a decent road with little traffic, which is common out here, not everyone lives in a bustling metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive