Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times

Advertisements

I recommend using the Costco auto program, depends on where you live, there might be some limitations on availability of qualified dealers.

https://www.costcoauto.com

Costco already has a pre-negiated cost which in my experience it is very competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM

17,583 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I recommend using the Costco auto program, depends on where you live, there might be some limitations on availability of qualified dealers.

https://www.costcoauto.com

Costco already has a pre-negiated cost which in my experience it is very competitive.

Yeah, I'm planning on using the USAA Car Buying service when my vehicle finally dies.. 160k miles on it.. I'd love to have it last another 7 years until my house is paid off, but.. Don't see that one happening.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/car_...kredirect=true

I hate the negotiation thing when buying a car.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
I agree with Ultrarunner; go directly to the fleet manager and follow his advice.

If you're able to buy a car for substantially under sticker (Hyundai is really aggressive in this regard in their quest for market share), then you can go that route; I purchased a new 2007 Elantra for $4,600 under sticker at a dealer here in suburban Los Angeles (Cerritos).

Just check the ads in your local newspapers, or even do as others in this thread have suggested by going to the manufacturer's website, building your vehicle the way you want it, and then submit it to them for their best price.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I agree with Ultrarunner; go directly to the fleet manager and follow his advice.
Can anyone go to see the fleet manager? How does that work?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM

382 posts, read 804,180 times
Negotiating is a waste of time. I tell the dealer I can afford $xxx.xx a month and to make it happen. If he comes close, I sign the papers and leave.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Negotiating is a waste of time. I tell the dealer I can afford $xxx.xx a month and to make it happen. If he comes close, I sign the papers and leave.
Really? I'm glad it works for you, which is all that matters. But wow, I can't believe anyone would do that.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:26 PM

382 posts, read 804,180 times
I sold cars when I was in-between jobs years ago. Getting a job as a car salesperson takes seconds, I sort of did it for fun. Anyway, if you "win" the negotiating pissing contest, the dealer will get their money one way or another. This usually happens with the loan guy. Just keep it simple...

Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I am curious what you do if there is only one dealer in your city. There are 3 Honda dealers and 3 Toyota dealers in our area but only one Lexus, one Infinity, one Acura, one Audi dealer here. Is it best to play with the zipcodes on the Internet sites in cities that are hundreds of miles away? Certainly, calling on the phone, ( and being honest as to your home city) , I have found yields very little. Maybe others have had better luck.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:27 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Brother wanted a loaded Honda Odyssey... they were at a premium in the SF Bay Area.

He called a Dealer in Bakersfield and spoke with the owner who told him Honda made him put one on the floor and he really wanted to move it because he has trouble moving the high end stuff.

In short, a quick trip to Bakersfield and saved a bundle...

Old 01-14-2014, 07:03 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Really? I'm glad it works for you, which is all that matters. But wow, I can't believe anyone would do that.
That's how I do it too.

Three caveats:

1. I know what I can afford monthly based on my cashflow.
2. I don't view cars as "investments" i.e. as a financial instrument or stock, etc. I see them as an enjoyable utility.
3. At this point in my life I'm usually driving a new car, so "reliability" is irrelevant.

I'm fully aware that this is not the best bottom line financial approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive