Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
I highly doubt anyone who can afford to shell out 100-120k on a new Range Rover cares about the depreciation curve. This occurs to most uber expensive "mainstream" cars that are in the 100k+ price range. Even after 5 years (and 55% depreciation), they're still too expensive for most people to buy.
You are wrong.
I have money bc I care about everything I spend money on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
The other side of your point, though....

If everyone you have met that has/had one has complained of a litany of issues, many of which were very expensive to repair, and one in fact that did get taken back under lemon law...

Should I then get one to make sure? Or, should I listen to the horror stories and decide that maybe it isn't the car for me?

Apparently, that's not a part of an evaluation.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:38 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I would totally love a Jag or Land Rover, but every single friend who has one (newer models) has it in for repairs all the time.
You must have some interesting friends. So how many of these friends own Jags? Just curious because not only do I not have any friends who own one, I rarely see many on the road in a major metropolitan area of several million inhabitants.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
Purely personal experience, but I've noticed that the lower-end models have better reliability. We had a RR Sport that also visited the dealer with alarming frequency, but the Evoque and LR2 have been a complete 180; you'd think you're driving a Toyota.
The Freelanders are lower end and have bad reliability. My neighbor bought one brand new, got home and the temperature gauge lit up! It came from the factory WITH low coolant. Its first day with her it was towed back to the dealer. It was fine for the first 30k miles then started having so many issues she traded it in on a. gasp.. Hyundia Tucson which as been flawless..

Head gasket on my partners 02 Disco blew at 60k.. blew engine. My sister's 03 Disco made it to 90k before the head gasket needed work.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
They're just selling people Hyundais and telling them they're jaguars.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Default Mechanics kids will be going to University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Never heard anything positive about them, only as a status symbol. I had a Mechanic who worked on them made good money as he was one of the few that would deal with them. Now we are getting a dealer so it will be interesting. I always wondered how they could drive them in Africa and all these remote places and not break down or have mechanics as part of their entourage. LOL
We had a guy for years in New Westminster called John's electric and the dealers would send them their unsolveable problems. His yard would pretty much be deep in Jeep and Jaguar. Rovers seem to be the up and coming vehicle in BC as well. This too shall pass.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 PM

85 posts, read 260,913 times
I am on my 6th Land Rover in ten years.

They are fantastic.

Reliability improved in '08 but all marques have had their share of issues & recalls.

Agree 100% on the depreciation of the Range Rover. Many are bought by companies and most of those purchased are owned by people who don't care about depreciation. Otherwise sales would decline, yet they are increasing.

I know a lot of people who own new F150's. They have a LOT of issues.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM

42 posts, read 71,972 times
London's wealthiest streets -with houses hitting 20 million plus are full of Range Rovers
Since Day 1 Range Rovers have generally been very unreliable - how they managed to sustain sales to some of the nation's wealthiest and demanding citizens for 40 years is some achievement.
JLR sales are small beer compared to Germans

Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM

906 posts, read 1,766,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are wrong.
I have money bc I care about everything I spend money on.
No, I'm not wrong. My post specifically referred to people who could afford and *would actually buy* a 100k+ car. Buyers in that price range don't care about depreciation because all cars in that price range have terribly steep depreciation curves.

Many of us (including myself) could theoretically shell out 100k on a car, but wouldn't do it because we have better things to do with our assets.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
celebs love them. they are gorgeous vehicles.

The reliability is pretty bad. My friend's new 120k+ RR SS seriously lives in the repair shop.
They end up last place in many reliability ratings. But, then again, if you have enough bucks to squander on them in the first place....who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive