Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Very disingenuous....I wish they'd just be honest about why speed traps are important. They don't give a rat's *** about safety. They just want the revenue.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...had-met-before

"According to Conklin’s personnel file, he appeared to be a seasoned officer who frequently called in sick, showed up late for work and court, failed to follow up on investigations and didn’t write the number of tickets that were expected"

Most PDs have quotas, whther they are called that or not (usually "performance standards")."Quota" or not, once a set amount of revenue is counted into a city/county budget as a line item, a failure to provide that revenue stream will result in somebody's ass on the line.

Look upstream and follow the money. The ticket revenue is already earmarked to fund something.

If tickets were used primarily as discouragement instead of revenue, the derived income shouldn't be in any way utilized directly for planned spending. If you're counting those chickens before they've hatched, then the cops damn well sure will be told to generate the revenue. And in small towns, that's often the only source of revenue.

A few years ago the NJ State Police went on a work slowdown as their contract was up. Down at the southern end of NJ there are a lot of small (and not so small) towns that do not have their own police force and use the State Troopers as their only means of protecting and serving.

When the Troopers went on their work slowdown, all those small towns were complaining that their incomes were down due to a lack of tickets being written... So of course, small towns don't want people warning others of speed traps. It cuts into their budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If tickets were used primarily as discouragement instead of revenue, the derived income shouldn't be in any way utilized directly for planned spending. If you're counting those chickens before they've hatched, then the cops damn well sure will be told to generate the revenue. And in small towns, that's often the only source of revenue.

If you look closely how the money from a traffic ticket is distributed, over half of the fine goes to various pork barrel silliness.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, folks, here's what you need to do. First, grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you and your desire to speed, no matter WHAT Mommy told you.

Second, there is no such thing as a speed trap any more than there's a robbery trap or a murder trap. If you were speeding, and you were ticketed for speeding, you weren't trapped. You made a deliberate decision to disobey the law, you got caught, and now you're whining about it because you're not adult enough to accept the consequences of your own actions and so somebody, ANYBODY, other than you just MUST be to blame for the consequences of YOUR actions. And there must be nefarious reasons for the laws because you don't like them and that's obviously, in your mind, the only thing that matters.

Third, if you only obey the traffic laws, any of them, when cops are visible, and that's your reason for obeying them when you do, and you whine about cops hiding from you so that you don't know when to obey the traffic laws and when not to, you seriously need to be off the road, because you aren't mature enough to navigate a multi-thousand pound vehicle on the public roadways and are a danger to yourself and others. I mean, just LISTEN to yourself for a minute.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, folks, here's what you need to do. First, grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you and your desire to speed, no matter WHAT Mommy told you.

Second, there is no such thing as a speed trap any more than there's a robbery trap or a murder trap. If you were speeding, and you were ticketed for speeding, you weren't trapped. You made a deliberate decision to disobey the law, you got caught, and now you're whining about it because you're not adult enough to accept the consequences of your own actions and so somebody, ANYBODY, other than you just MUST be to blame for the consequences of YOUR actions. And there must be nefarious reasons for the laws because you don't like them and that's obviously, in your mind, the only thing that matters.

Third, if you only obey the traffic laws, any of them, when cops are visible, and that's your reason for obeying them when you do, and you whine about cops hiding from you so that you don't know when to obey the traffic laws and when not to, you seriously need to be off the road, because you aren't mature enough to navigate a multi-thousand pound vehicle on the public roadways and are a danger to yourself and others. I mean, just LISTEN to yourself for a minute.
And I suppose you ALWAYS drive the exact speed limit or lower?

Try that shyt in New Jersey...you'll get run over...even in the right lane.

And I would not even mind speed traps and everything else - if they'd AT LEAST be honest about it...it's a tactic for raising revenue. Public safety has zilch, zero, nada to do with it. They could give a rat's arsehole for the public safety.

Want proof of this? Call them when some crazed madman busts down your door. See how long it takes them to get there. They won't come until you're dead and the madman who killed you is LONG GONE.

Serve and protect my ass.

And I still say if they got a right to hide, then I have a right to give away their hiding spots. And I sure do appreciate it when someone coming the other way warns ME about a dirty friggin State Revenue Raiser hiding in the bushes!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Yep, based on all the available evidence in your posts, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a motor vehicle on public roadways. Go try the racetrack, where innocent lives won't be at risk.

Do I drive over the limit? Occasionally, but you know what the BIG difference between you and me is? I don't think I'm entitled to, I know that I've made a decision to do something wrong, I acknowledge it if caught and I NEVER blame everyone else for the consequences of my own actions or pretend that the laws are for any reason that I can come up with to try to weasel out of responsibility for what I choose to do. You, on the other hand, have done pretty much nothing else but exhibit the opposite attitude - it's all about you, the world revolves around you and your desires, and nothing is your fault, ever. Like I said, grow up. The world doesn't revolve around you and your desire to speed, no matter WHAT Mommy told you.

If I drive under the limit it's under conditions like the other night where there was black ice (glad I was driving slow like everybody else AND giving the car ahead of me plenty of room or there would have been a third accident in addition to the two already there) or for some other similar road condition related reason (including the "flow of traffic" being below the limit - I don't get my panties in a twist and try to figure out how to get two cars further ahead in that situation).

Old 01-27-2014, 03:51 PM

Madam, you just bought yourself a one-way ticket to Ignoreland, via ValuJet Airlines. Have a nice flight.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
And I suppose you ALWAYS drive the exact speed limit or lower?

Try that shyt in New Jersey...you'll get run over...even in the right lane.

And I would not even mind speed traps and everything else - if they'd AT LEAST be honest about it...it's a tactic for raising revenue. Public safety has zilch, zero, nada to do with it. They could give a rat's arsehole for the public safety.

Want proof of this? Call them when some crazed madman busts down your door. See how long it takes them to get there. They won't come until you're dead and the madman who killed you is LONG GONE.

Serve and protect my ass.

And I still say if they got a right to hide, then I have a right to give away their hiding spots. And I sure do appreciate it when someone coming the other way warns ME about a dirty friggin State Revenue Raiser hiding in the bushes!
Why don't you just consider it a tax then?
How many times do you speed a year and how many times were you ticketed?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why don't you just consider it a tax then?
How many times do you speed a year and how many times were you ticketed?
But that's JUST the point!

I want them to be freaking HONEST about it.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:

Regardless of your opinion on how to drive, do you feel like it is OK for the police to arrest or ticket someone for holding a sign up on the side of the road? That is what this thread is about.

And, you yourself have argued in other threads that it is perfectly OK to disobey left lane laws in Texas because there is no sign telling you of the law, but yet others are supposed to obey other laws regardless of signage or police presence?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:

TexasHorseLady I am with you. Unfortunately some of these people actually believe they are entitled to do what ever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive