Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,400 times

Advertisements

I have a 2007 Silverado 4wd with Hankook Dynapro Mt LT 285/70R17. I do not take the vehicle off rd and I rotate the tires every 5,000 miles. Did not have any problems until I reached about 29,000 miles and I started feeling a vibration. after 3 trips to discount tire I was told that my front left tire was out of round. I was really surprised because the tires were wearing fine and still looked like there was plenty of life left in them. They pro rated my tire and I didn't want to have a new tire on one side and one with 30,000 on the other side so I bought another tire. Now Im getting The same vibration out of the other tires. Should I be getting more miles out of these tires? Should a set of $1,200.00 tires last longer? At this point I don't know If I should buy 2 more tires or cut my losses and ride these out for a while and go to a different brand. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,925 times
It's not uncommon, that's for sure.

I bought 4 Firestone Winterforce tires in 2011. 2 of them had bad belts and had a horrible shake/vibration. I bought two more and they were fine.

They were only $70 a tire ... if it were more expensive, I would be inclined to switch to a different tire.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Definitely not uncommon. I have experienced out of round tire from a brand new set. Ever since then I have my tires road force balanced to ensure they are not defective. I highly recommend it on your next set. I spent a lot of time and money trying to correct something that could not be corrected, simply because I was unaware of the defect.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
Thread title is Out of round tires?

Don't scare my like that! Here I thought you were going to say that all the stores are out of round tires and we're going to have to get the square ones from here-on-out.

I was looking at the reviews on your tires. (tirerack.com). Looks like what you're experiencing is par for the course. Some say rotate at 2500 miles to avoid cupping.

If you're going to get something new, I like the Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires for the truck. They're a bit stiff for the first 1K miles but then ride very nicely, handle snow easily and wear well.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If you're going to get something new, I like the Michelin LTX A/T2 Tires for the truck. They're a bit stiff for the first 1K miles but then ride very nicely, handle snow easily and wear well.
BFG A/T > All other A/T tires.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
BFG A/T > All other A/T tires.
To each his own I guess but I don't agree. That's what came on my truck and they sucked before they hit the 30K mark.

Apparently, I'm not alone in thinking the Michelin's are better than the BFG. Link below.
BFG rating 6.4 out of 10. If this were a grade in school, it's a F.
Michelin rating 8.7 out of 10.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Old 08-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Most MT tires won't have a mileage warranty, they are meant for rock, mud, and sand. I think you got a decent number of miles out of them for all street driving. I like what I have now on my truck, Firestone Destination ATs.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,353 times
My bf has a 1996 Toyota Tacoma (in good condition) that had newish Hankook (maybe Dynapro) tires on it when he got it a a few years ago. He has been having an ongoing problem with vibration in the truck on the highway. He has had the truck aligned and numerous tire balances done. He did recently have the truck completely gone though by our good mechanic to rule out other causes and they found nothing, so it must be the tires. The truck also sits a lot as he doesn't drive it every day so maybe it is more prone to out of round.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
To each his own I guess but I don't agree. That's what came on my truck and they sucked before they hit the 30K mark.

Apparently, I'm not alone in thinking the Michelin's are better than the BFG. Link below.
BFG rating 6.4 out of 10. If this were a grade in school, it's a F.
Michelin rating 8.7 out of 10.
Not sure what ratings your were looking at but the consumer ratings for BFGs was 8.21 and the Michelins were 8.47.

3000 reviews of BFGs vs. 500 reviews of Michelins, that says something as well. The Michelins are also apparently not as aggressive as the BFG's which would be a concern of mine.

You are right however, to each his own... I would try the Michelins for sure. I ditched my last set of BFGs which had about 70k on them and tried out some Yoko Geolander A/T's this time around. I only have 15k on them right now but very happy so far on a dry 7700#diesel 4x4.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
My bf has a 1996 Toyota Tacoma (in good condition) that had newish Hankook (maybe Dynapro) tires on it when he got it a a few years ago. He has been having an ongoing problem with vibration in the truck on the highway. He has had the truck aligned and numerous tire balances done. He did recently have the truck completely gone though by our good mechanic to rule out other causes and they found nothing, so it must be the tires. The truck also sits a lot as he doesn't drive it every day so maybe it is more prone to out of round.
Rim(s) could be dented. Sometimes that is overlooked as a cause as rims that have been driven on generally have some issues anyway. And a new set of tires won't fix it as they will eventually settle into the dent and be out of round by lack of support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive