Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I was just curious if anyone else has had a hard time getting interest in private sales? I posted my 328i on craigslist and Ebay classifieds several weeks ago and havent even gotten an email. My car is a grand cheaper than the others in the area with the similar make/mileage so I dont think its my price. Usually someone would at least give me an annoying low ball.

Is craiglist a bad place to try to sell my car or am I just approaching this in the wrong way?

BTW Im underwater in my car loan so I cant look into carmax or the dealer because theyre lowballing me like crazy. Theyre offering me 14k on the same car theyre trying to get 21k for on the lot.

Why Craigslist and eBay? I consider those "scammer" sites. I only put my cars on Cars.com when I sell them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Dorky or not, it's still just wrong.

A Beemer (Beamer) is and always will be a motorcycle.

A BMW car is a Bimmer.

Boston Chapter BMW CCA - Bimmer vs. Beemer
Finally, what took us so long?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Finally, what took us so long?
+1

I was thinking the same thing. what's next?...people saying BMW has a V6? haha

Old 01-22-2014, 12:25 PM

180 posts, read 377,989 times
OP has his answer....it's a BMW.....those cars hold their values horribly. Unless you have all service records, carfax on hand, and can reasonably assure the visitor that the car is not a maintenance headache....of course they low ball or ignore.

Tons of European cars being sold because the quoted repair bill exceeded the value of the car. Your average CG, EBay, etc. regular is smarter than the average bear: your going to have to prove this car has been babied.

I passed on a great deal on an Audi A4 in favor of an older lexus for the same price for the same reason. No service history to prove it's not a lemon.....a lexus lemon I can afford to repair....an audi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Why Craigslist and eBay? I consider those "scammer" sites. I only put my cars on Cars.com when I sell them.
In what way are they scammer sites? Ebay's policy is heavily in favor in the buyer.

Craigslist is a mixed bag but it's expected given it's a classified site.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post

I passed on a great deal on an Audi A4 in favor of an older lexus for the same price for the same reason. No service history to prove it's not a lemon.....a lexus lemon I can afford to repair....an audi?

as a owner of both nameplates....lexus dealer prices isn't that cheap by far. If you can DIY (which I do usually), both aren't too bad in terms of cost of maint....the e46 is pretty reliable car overall. I do admit Toyota/lexus are more reliable than bmw....but to be fair...many drivers drive their bmw far harder.

Depending on which gen of the a4, some are pretty horrible....esp. the older ones.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Some cars and models get more interest than some and depends on the the season. I had a Forester sitting on ebay online ads for almost a year and suddenly around September I was getting multiple interests for no reason.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:39 PM

180 posts, read 377,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
as a owner of both nameplates....lexus dealer prices isn't that cheap by far. If you can DIY (which I do usually), both aren't too bad in terms of cost of maint....the e46 is pretty reliable car overall. I do admit Toyota/lexus are more reliable than bmw....but to be fair...many drivers drive their bmw far harder.

Depending on which gen of the a4, some are pretty horrible....esp. the older ones.
I purchased the lexus off craigslist. It's my beater car for winter so it primarily needs to not die. Worked out well!

I'd be comfortable buying a BMW with a proper service history or a newer one. Lexus is quite boring....excellent condition though.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times
I have a late-model Honda Accord and could have sold it twice as it was sitting in my garage. I had the garage door up and people have come to my door asking to buy it. I know when i get ready to sell it will go fast.

As to your BMW, does it have reasonable miles to years owned and is it in good condition? BMWs tend to have the image of high maintenance. That could be why no bites. If you are underwater perhaps the best course of action is to let it go for what you can get.

And, how do you get underwater for a car? I can see a mortgage. Did you somehow buy more than your paycheck?

Old 01-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minos16 View Post
I purchased the lexus off craigslist. It's my beater car for winter so it primarily needs to not die. Worked out well!

I'd be comfortable buying a BMW with a proper service history or a newer one. Lexus is quite boring....excellent condition though.
having proper service history goes for any car.....just imo.

lexus is beyond dull. I find almost any Toyota is like a driving a toaster oven. Its comfortable & gear twds silent driving....to the point of disconnect. My wife loves her lexus....it sort of figures since I see a lot of females drive lexus in general.

In general, bmw mechanically is an excellent car. Everything is built around making it a fun car to drive....like having that battery in the trunk. The issues are more towards the gizmos....like the infamous pixel displays.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Some cars and models get more interest than some and depends on the the season. I had a Forester sitting on ebay online ads for almost a year and suddenly around September I was getting multiple interests for no reason.
It would have probably sold within weeks in CO. Every city/state/area can be reasonably biased toward certain types of vehicles. I know they love their Subarus (4-wheel drive) in most parts of that state but in So Cal, not so much!
It boils down to supply and demand.

Buying new European luxury/performance vehicles have always been bad investments from what I have seen. More so if the vehicle is used for commuting.

They lose their value much faster because they are high maintenance and costly to maintain even for DIYers since the parts costs more.

I remember, putting my Honda NightHawk for sale for a month before relocating to AZ (before recession) and got zero hits.
I took it with me, rode it another 4000-5000 miles for 2 more years and sold it for more money (1 year into the recession) before relocating back to CA.
Sometimes, it is just dumb luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive