Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I think this is very model/design dependent. In one of my car clubs, just about everyone (with a similar model) who ran out of fuel also also toasted their fuel pump.
If that's the case, that's just a flat-out defect with the pump or the application of it. The fuel pump will run for all of 5 seconds after a vehicle runs out of gas and be essentially under no mechanical load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
LOL! I knew someone would get on the "evil AAA member actually getting what they pay for out of their membership" bandwagon. Damn those poor people expecting to drive to the grocery store!

I hope you are never faced with the choice. Well, maybe I do...
I couldn't care less about what you do with your AAA membership. To be blunt, I said it was a rather dumb thing to do. Here's a thought, buy one less package of ding dongs at the store and buy a lousy gallon of gas. Better yet, cancel AAA and buy a full tank.

Unfortunately for you and your sentiment, I am not nearly dense enough to even consider purposefully running out of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
LOL! I knew someone would get on the "evil AAA member actually getting what they pay for out of their membership" bandwagon. Damn those poor people expecting to drive to the grocery store!
That's not what he said. He said your money management sucks, and I agree. I'd drop the AAA if money was that tight and buy a couple tanks of gas with what it costs. Also I have no idea what good driving to the grocery store will do you since you have no money.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
If that's the case, that's just a flat-out defect with the pump or the application of it. The fuel pump will run for all of 5 seconds after a vehicle runs out of gas and be essentially under no mechanical load.

I couldn't care less about what you do with your AAA membership. To be blunt, I said it was a rather dumb thing to do. Here's a thought, buy one less package of ding dongs at the store and buy a lousy gallon of gas. Better yet, cancel AAA and buy a full tank.

Unfortunately for you and your sentiment, I am not nearly dense enough to even consider purposefully running out of gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's not what he said. He said your money management sucks, and I agree. I'd drop the AAA if money was that tight and buy a couple tanks of gas with what it costs. Also I have no idea what good driving to the grocery store will do you since you have no money.
There are bullies on every forum aren't there? Regardless of the question or the subject matter. It's a fascinating study on the human psyche...kind of like Internet Anthropology...

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM

Even more fascinating: Those who think purposefully running out of gas and waiting on the side of the road for AAA to deliver a gallon of it for "free" is actually a good idea.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM

255 posts, read 660,389 times
I always pretend that 1/4 tank = empty. After replacing a handful of GM fuel pumps in my younger days, no more letting them burn up!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
DH gets very hot if I run low, the bearings inside the fuel pump are lubricated by the gasoline it is submerged in, he says. (DH=35+ years GM master tech)

OTOH it could be an attempt to scare me into not playing Russian roulette with running it low
Fuel pump motors are hermetically sealed and the pump bearings are permalubed. The gasoline serves as a coolant only through submersion and the return line. Besides, the lubricity of gasoline is terrible. Maybe DH is confusing it with diesel fuel?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:35 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
Quote:
There are bullies on every forum aren't there? Regardless of the question or the subject matter. It's a fascinating study on the human psyche...kind of like Internet Anthropology...
They aren't bullies, your initial question is just above the standard threshold for stupidity. If your thought process is along the line of "Should I drop $5 on fuel or run the tank empty and sit around for an hour for a truck to show up with fuel" then something is very wrong and it’s not the forum. If you can't afford fuel or food then I dearly hope that you don't have a cell phone, cable television or internet because that would be something else...

Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,651,584 times
Running out of gas once won't hurt anything.

That said, AAA doesn't give free gas here. I used that service once on one of my earlier cars and I had to pay for the gas, in cash to the driver. They reminded me of such on the phone. It's possible the policy has changed in the intervening years but I doubt it.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:52 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Some of you need to take a serious chill pill. I'm all for personal responsibility and things, but **** happens and people get stuck making tough choices. The OP put this in their first post...

Quote:
Was curious, because I'm super broke this month - no money till the first (problem with Soc Sec benefits because of moving -all will be well as of next month).
They're on a fixed income, something got screwed up and now they're short on money and have to make a tough choice. Why pile on with criticism about how they manage money? This isn't the "personal finance" section. They asked a pretty straight forward automotive question. Just answer the damn question. You should all count yourselves fortunate if you've never had to make the choice the OP had to make as many other people have. Sometimes even the very financially responsible find themselves in a tough place and have to make a tough decision. My parents are pretty comfortable now, but there were times growing up when I know they had to make similar choices and it was never easy. I had to make some tough choices when I was out of work for five months in 2009 and had a pregnant wife and two kids to support. Have some ****ing compassion.

/rant

Old 01-23-2014, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
I always try to keep my tank half full just in case. You never know what might happen. One year we had a massive snow storm, power went out, and most gas stations had to close because they could not pump. The few that remained open had lines around the block.

One day I had let my tank get down to about 1/8th, figuring I would stop on the way to work and fill it. When I woke up to go to work, I couldn't find my #$%% wallet. No cash, no credit cards, and no ATM card, and only 1/8th tank of gas. Luckily I had enough gas to make it to work, but had to borrow money from a co-worker in order to get home. I did find my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive