Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Acura MDX (used 2014) 42 85.71%
Nissan Pathfinder (new 2014 or 2015) 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:09 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,111,732 times

Advertisements

Had them both, although different times & generation, where Pathfinder was 8 yrs older and MDX a 2008 (which we loved).
The MDX is hands down a much better option between the two, probably one of the best value midsize SUV available (although myself I'd go for a diesel engine option - Tuareg or Q7).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
Get the MDX. Yes, it costs more than the Pathfinder but when you look at the complete package, especially in terms of features, engineering and driving dynamics, the MDX offers some of the best value on the market. And get the all wheel drive model if you can. Acura has one of the best all wheel drive systems on the market.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 PM

486 posts, read 829,040 times
What about the GX460? I test drove a MDX and it was very nice but it felt like a was driving a mini-van.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,541,556 times
The MDX has been the gold standard in this category since day one, and while you can use regular fuel while tolerating a slight loss of power, premium fuel is recommended.

AWD will add an extra $2,000 to whichever trim level you select, since it's no longer standard effective with the 2014 model.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersion View Post
What about the GX460? I test drove a MDX and it was very nice but it felt like a was driving a mini-van.
Coming from a minivan, in no way does the MDX feel like you are driving one! I'm in my second minivan, and Im ready for my minivan days to be over! I don't particularly care for Lexus. I've driven several Lexus vehicles, and while they are very nice, they just don't excite me.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:38 AM

819 posts, read 1,397,387 times
Regarding the MDX's advance package, I found over the past two weeks (just bought a Q7) that most Acura dealers were not willing to move much on the price of the ones with the advance package because each dealer is only getting a small allocation of advance models, so they're content to wait for someone willing to pay more for it. Got a lot more movement on the Tech version.

Also, two additional things to consider. One; if you were going to finance, Acura's advertised 0.9% for 36 months program is only available on the base MDX, not on the tech, entertainment or advance models. Two, I found the entertainment package to be worthless. The 'wide screen' that comes with the advance package version of the entertainment package is not really a wide screen, in fact it can't even display high definition content. Your picture is displayed in low definition 480i resolution just in the center of the screen if you're only viewing one source. If you're viewing two, then you get use of the whole screen for two 480i pictures side by side. The DVD player can't play BluRay, so if you buy those for high def at home, they are useless in the car. Same goes for the HDMI inputs; picture gets downgraded to 480i.

Once I found out about that, I couldn't justify paying an extra $7k or whatever it is to go from Tech to Advance just for effectively two features I felt had value (adaptive cruise and lane keeping). The ACC was really cool though, tried it on both the MDX and the Jeep GC. Wish I had gotten it on my Q7 but the vehicle we negotiated on didn't have it.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,806,684 times
^ I was just looking at the ACC feature. It seems you have to proactively hit the resume button when the car in front of you starts moving again. Doesn't sound all that convenient to me.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 44,835 times
Aside from the interior/exterior features, don't forget to consider the maintenance cost and resale value.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,397,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ I was just looking at the ACC feature. It seems you have to proactively hit the resume button when the car in front of you starts moving again. Doesn't sound all that convenient to me.
Ah, that part I didn't test. Some cars ACC has a "low speed follow" mode that should be able to handle stop and go but not all have it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Regarding the MDX's advance package, I found over the past two weeks (just bought a Q7) that most Acura dealers were not willing to move much on the price of the ones with the advance package because each dealer is only getting a small allocation of advance models, so they're content to wait for someone willing to pay more for it. Got a lot more movement on the Tech version.

Also, two additional things to consider. One; if you were going to finance, Acura's advertised 0.9% for 36 months program is only available on the base MDX, not on the tech, entertainment or advance models. Two, I found the entertainment package to be worthless. The 'wide screen' that comes with the advance package version of the entertainment package is not really a wide screen, in fact it can't even display high definition content. Your picture is displayed in low definition 480i resolution just in the center of the screen if you're only viewing one source. If you're viewing two, then you get use of the whole screen for two 480i pictures side by side. The DVD player can't play BluRay, so if you buy those for high def at home, they are useless in the car. Same goes for the HDMI inputs; picture gets downgraded to 480i.

Once I found out about that, I couldn't justify paying an extra $7k or whatever it is to go from Tech to Advance just for effectively two features I felt had value (adaptive cruise and lane keeping). The ACC was really cool though, tried it on both the MDX and the Jeep GC. Wish I had gotten it on my Q7 but the vehicle we negotiated on didn't have it.
Thanks. I read your report on the MDX and why you went with the Q7. I just went to our auto show, and they didn't have a Q7 to look at!!! Or if they did I missed it and I was looking for it! I was very disappointed.

I'm not that worried about the entertainment system. I've had one in the last two minivans I've had. It is very convenient for sure. But in the days of iPads, tablets, gaming systems, ereaders, etc....I'm not sure it's necessary anymore.

I do like the things the advanced package offers, but not sure I can justify the cost. When it comes down to it, I think it will come down between the MDX because it's my favorite, the pathfinder because I can probably get the best deal on this one, and the Q7 because it's a good competitor, and the Infiniti QX60, though I feel like it's lags a bit compared to the others.

I will probably spend a good week really comparing these and seeing who can give me the best deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive