Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:48 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
At "regular" dealerships, you don't have to have the "hustle" is all I'm saying. It's all in how you approach the dealer and the relationship you start with said dealer.

You know, if you went to say Joe Smith Ford and paid full sticker, then you wouldn't have to haggle and it would be much easier and pleasant experience as well. That's what Carmax is asking you to do. Why do we allow for different standards because they tell you that they're different?

In my opinion, the your first part of the response is a part of the hustle. It requires a bit of work by what you said, ie, from knowing how to approach the dealer and obtaining a relationship with the him/her.

It's a 'let me get to know you so I can get a good deal' hustle, when in reality that's really not your true mission. Neither is it theirs- theirs is commission, baby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
I try to have relationships with folks in all professions. Not just car dealers, but plumbers, and contractors, dentists, lawyers, teachers, you name it... What's wrong with giving people your loyalty if you like the services they provide? You're right, RELATIONSHIPS do take quite a bit of work, you have to go out and meet people, you have to spend quality time with them, you have to be a good listener. If you see that as a "hustle", then I respect your opinion, I'm not here to sway your opinions. I just offered a different perspective that has worked well for me in my own life.

On that note, if you really want to see another way of looking at things, you can read this book in about two to three nights...

| The Go-Giver | By Bob Burg and John David Mann

It did wonders for the way I build relationships with people and has been instrumental in my successes.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,171 times
CarMax has a $99.00 processing fee which is great compared to the dealer. Other dealerships have reconditioning fees anywhere from $800-$1500. Also the processing fees can go up to $700. Atleast at CarMax nothing is hidden it is what it is. They don't sell wrecked junk and are upfront with the carfax. My two cents

Last edited by mikemike8787; 01-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Miss spelling

Old 10-05-2017, 05:03 PM

712 posts, read 530,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Carmax is plain and simple a clever way to charge customers full price for used vehicles, not only that, they are more than happy to offer you less than true value on any trade-in you may have. Besides that, they will not negotiate, so, you get retail prices, less for your trade, and no chance of "working a deal", all under the guise of "we make it easy for you by not negotiating".

I wouldn't set foot in a Carmax.
+1
Carmax is great when you want to pay thousands extra! Just do a quick search on cargurus.com with best deal listed first and look at the same models on carmax. Carmax usually thousands over what is being ASKED for(ie before negotiation) at a regular dealer. How is carmax still in business, you ask? People are idiots. That's how.

Here's a quick example:
Did a quick search for a 2011 hyundai sonata

CarmaxAsking

10,599 for a base gls with 96k
12k for a limited with 100k

Did the same search on cargurus and found
Crowley nissan selling the same car for 8,642. WITH 83K miles
https://www.crowleynissan.com/vehicle/17N0907A
Lia hyundai of enfield
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE - $8,999 with 68k Miles
There's literally a ton of cars selling around that price.

This is BEFORE any HAGGLING. This is the asking price. You are getting RIPPED OFF at carmax. It's all a lie. You can buy a car for thousands less with ZERO haggling at a normal dealership.

You don't need to believe me. All it takes is a quick search.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Old thread, but I wonder how badly the OP regretted getting a Fiat, if that's what he eventually bought. Fix It Again Tony!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
+1
Carmax is great when you want to pay thousands extra! Just do a quick search on cargurus.com with best deal listed first and look at the same models on carmax. Carmax usually thousands over what is being ASKED for(ie before negotiation) at a regular dealer. How is carmax still in business, you ask? People are idiots. That's how.

Here's a quick example:
Did a quick search for a 2011 hyundai sonata

CarmaxAsking

10,599 for a base gls with 96k
12k for a limited with 100k

Did the same search on cargurus and found
Crowley nissan selling the same car for 8,642. WITH 83K miles
https://www.crowleynissan.com/vehicle/17N0907A
Lia hyundai of enfield
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T SE - $8,999 with 68k Miles
There's literally a ton of cars selling around that price.

This is BEFORE any HAGGLING. This is the asking price. You are getting RIPPED OFF at carmax. It's all a lie. You can buy a car for thousands less with ZERO haggling at a normal dealership.

You don't need to believe me. All it takes is a quick search.
I tired to explain this same scenario to a female friend car shopping and she was like, I like carmax, price dont matter to me because I keep my car forever. People spend 3-4K extra for a 90 day piece of mind warranty and day 91, that car is no different than any other used car on another dealers lot. If anything, for a piece of mind, take that $2-4k extra you would have spent at car max and just get a bumper to bumper warranty from that dealer or atleast a power train warranty and you still might come out less than carmax.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:15 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Carmax is much more expensive than a car you can find on your own. I use Carmax to test drive various models so I can decide which one I will buy, then I search for better deals at sites like this one: https://www.cargurus.com

Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times
In general, you're going to pay more at CarMax, but there are some upsides to using them. They offer pretty solid warranties on their vehicles, the buying experience is similar to going to Wal-Mart, and you can test drive just about anything you want there instead of having to go to different dealerships.

I will say, depending on the vehicle, it might be a better idea buying at CarMax. For instance, I would love to have another late 2000's model Mustang GT, but I want one that is stock and low miles. That's getting hard to come by, and I've noticed that those who do have these and sell them (private party) will sale them at or more than what CarMax sells them for, at least in my area. So, sometimes, you're better off buying from CarMax and you have the option for the warranty, which is a pretty good warranty to have.

Having said that, my example is more of an exception rather than the rule. Most people who buy from CarMax do not like to negotiate or just don't know how to negotiate, so they feel they're spending the money more on the convenience and speedy "check out" rather than the car itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive