Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,644 times

Advertisements

Are there any advantages of buying from Carmax vs a dealer? I am in the market for a new Fiat and I notice that the dealers seem to have slightly lower prices and more incentives. This seems counterintuitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
CarMax -is- a car dealer.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
CarMax -is- a car dealer.

I know, I meant a "dealer" dealer-- like a Chrysler/Fiat dealership as opposed to Carmax.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I do not see where CarMax has brand new Fiats. They do have some low mileage, nearly new used ones that may have been bought cheap out of new inventory, but are now used as the title has been issued/changed.

If you can get a brand new one from a Fiat dealer... why bother with a more expensive one at CarMax anyway?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I do not see where CarMax has brand new Fiats. They do have some low mileage, nearly new used ones that may have been bought cheap out of new inventory, but are now used as the title has been issued/changed.

If you can get a brand new one from a Fiat dealer... why bother with a more expensive one at CarMax anyway?

I don't want a brand new one. I don't believe in buying new cars because they depreciate so quickly. A 2013 or 2012 is fine with me.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I know, I meant a "dealer" dealer-- like a Chrysler/Fiat dealership as opposed to Carmax.
There is no difference between the two (except the fact that the Fiat dealership can sell you a brand-new Fiat). They both get their used inventory from trade-ins or auctions.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:56 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
If not brand new, then just get it anywhere. There is no big advantage of a Fiat dealer over any other dealer for a used 500. It's far more important to go over the car to make sure it is in good working order, accident free, and is as advertised than who your buying it from. It will be under the manufacturer warranty regardless.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Carmax IS a dealer...It is the equivalent of an automotive food court...It has some brand new cars, many used cars. Their pricing is sometimes competitive, sometimes not, and you can usually do a bit better if you look hard.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM

113 posts, read 619,486 times
Carmax is pretty much no games, it is what it is. Its that simple, your trade is this, the car is this and your payments are this. They have a service dept that will look over the vehicle, change the oil and do some work if needed, send it to detail and sell it.
The dealer knows that vehicle, thats really all they work on if a Fiat dealer, so the tech will know what to look and fix if needed, and do computer updates while in the shop. Then comes the fun part, most dealers will play games, some not as bad as others, but you need to be ready to negotiate. You will usually get a very low offer on your trade, dealer fees, mark up on the interest rate on financing. So just know you will have to do your home work, see what KBB has for a value on your trade, look at what similar cars are selling for, be educated. Get pre-approved at your local bank and see what your interest rate will be. That way you can be educated and make a good choice. I personally buy my cars from the dealer and always buy certified pre-owned so I get the warranty coverage at no extra cost usually. I usually have to leave the dealer and wait a day or two and wait for that phone call, that phone call that the salesman talked to the owner/salesmanager and they can now do this and save you this and get a much better deal. Most of the time people fall in love with a car and want to take it home that day and act with there heart and not brain. They will tell you that there is someone coming in later to test drive the car, and they already talked numbers and might not be here. So just be ready for the games.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
one possible benefit to Carmax is they offer being able to bring in a particular vehicle from another store's inventory; could be a small fee but that may be part of the final price if the car is bought.
On the flip side, the Fiat dealer could offer a certified used car with it's extended factory warranty where Carmax or any other used lot could only offer a 3rd party ext warranty (if that's a value to the consumer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive