Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM

237 posts, read 496,078 times

Advertisements

FYI, the issues with MINI's automatic transmissions occurred in the first generation CVT which hasnt been in production for 8 model years now. There's a lot of misinformation regarding the MINI, this thread is a good example.
j
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
FYI, the issues with MINI's automatic transmissions occurred in the first generation CVT which hasnt been in production for 8 model years now. There's a lot of misinformation regarding the MINI, this thread is a good example.
j
There just isn't a lot of infor like this unless a person is wanting to dig.

Three of my co-workers bought Mini's when they first came out and they really enjoyed them for awhile... then the problems started and they got rid of them and will not buy another.

The first couple of years are so critical when launching a new model because this often establishes the Mark's reputation for years after.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:57 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Unfortunately, I need my car for work which can involve a great deal of travel (local, national, international, you name it). I just bought a co-op unit which has a dedicated parking space, but as I say, parking is outdoor. I have a 2009 BMW 328i which has been great in LA, but I am looking to find something smaller more hassle free as my NYC lifestyle will not involve as much driving.
Have you considered a 500L?
Another tardis...

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,323,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I like the Fit but the 500 makes me smile. The fit is an appliance.. A toaster oven.
The fiat will make you want to drive to the Fiat cafe in nolita and stare at your car as you mangia.
Lol.
Indeed, which could pretty much apply to Hondas in general.

Me personally, I like Fiat the most.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 AM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,005,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Space and reliability? Honda Fit.
^^^ Absolutely this!!!!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Looking at the Fit and asking those that own them, for me that was 3 people, All love the car. One of the owners was a socially consious Doctor that prefers it over a Hybrid anyday. For these people driving the car is fun. What I am going to add to my former comments is that if you want a fun car all three choices will work. If you want a fun car that will keep you under the radar then buy the fit. Especially if you want all the fun and don't care what other people think. Of these three all are saying something to the people that see you drive them. I think that the fit does not say much as it is more of a sleeper car than anything else. Then again do you care what other people think? From what I am hearing it is a fun car to drive and will offer few problems in the long run. The perfect small commuter car.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:46 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,406,105 times
Would you still recommend the Fit after all the crash test results? i was really interested in it but got so much negative feedback on it, that I changed my mind….

Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,261 times
How about a Yaris hatchback? They haven't been selling so well so maybe you could get a deal. I like the older ones better, maybe find a certified used Yaris. Or if you have the room, keep your car and pick up an old Ford Festiva, they get 40 mpg in town and ya can even haul something as large a washing machine in them if need be. They do have Mazda engines and are very reliable. Just another couple ideas for ya to think about.

The 500 and Mini are cute cars, but like a pretty girl ya have to look at the entire package not just the outside wrapping.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,406,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
How about a Yaris hatchback? They haven't been selling so well so maybe you could get a deal. I like the older ones better, maybe find a certified used Yaris. Or if you have the room, keep your car and pick up an old Ford Festiva, they get 40 mpg in town and ya can even haul something as large a washing machine in them if need be. They do have Mazda engines and are very reliable. Just another couple ideas for ya to think about.

The 500 and Mini are cute cars, but like a pretty girl ya have to look at the entire package not just the outside wrapping.
Why do you think they haven't been selling well? Is there an issue with them? I am unable to keep my Murano, i hate this car with a passion and just want to get rid of it ughhhhh. I need a car that i can keep for at least 5 years , low maintenance

Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
Would you still recommend the Fit after all the crash test results? i was really interested in it but got so much negative feedback on it, that I changed my mind….
Regardless of what one thinks of the small offset crash test by IIHS (some think it's not that relevant), I wouldn't buy that model Fit with the new 2015 due out soon anyway. The crash test was with 2014, and the changes are significant such that it could change the results. Many large cars also did poorly on this test. I was kind of sad to see it come out right after my mother bought a new 2013 Camry for example; the Camry did poorly despite being much larger than the Fit.

Anyway, what will happen is manufacturers will try to adapt to the test in redesigns. Since the Fit is already at redesign it is likely to incorporate things that will help.

The big deal to me with the current Fit is that the mpg is not so great for a car so small. Many larger cars including Honda's own Civic have already surpassed it. But for such a small car it is extremely useful in what you can get inside it. It's hard to beat in that area. Car and Driver constantly picks it in that segment for being great to drive too. The main knock is usually outside appearance. It's certainly not nearly as cute as a Fiat 500 (not the ungainly 4-door 500L though which is not cute) or Mini Cooper (again the small one as the larger ones are not as cute but they do a better job than the Fiat).

For the OP in this thread who talked about antiquing but wanting a small car in the city, the Fit is ideal, except maybe for the reasonably cute. The 2015 may cure that to some degree for some people. There is a seat change in the 2015 that makes for less cargo room but it still beats others in this segment for how it can be configured.

Other subcompact hatches not really mentioned here include the Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, and Scion xD (they do still sell that right?) in addition to the Yaris. The Yaris and 2 are pretty low rent inside. Unlike other Mazdas you can't option up the 2 very much. All are varying degrees of less cute than a Mini or 500 and have less cargo utility than the Fit (even with 2015 change). All those should be pretty reliable though I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive