Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM

36 posts, read 53,150 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly questions but this is from personal experience:

I have never driven a van but I have noticed that most of the “slower” drivers are driving vans(at least the ones I have encountered so no offense to anyone who may drive a van). I remember my dad had an older work van that would only go up to about 80 or 90 MPH. (This was a very old van though) Any reason for this? Is it the way the van is built or is it just the driver?

I should add, the speed limit for our freeway is 60 MPH.(the least is 45) These people are going about 45-50.

Last edited by mandy97; 02-14-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
Most people who drive vans have enough sense not to drive really fast.

For a given engine size, air resistance is probably going to determine top speed. Vans will be worse than SUVs which will be worse than cars.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy97 View Post
This may be a silly questions but this is from personal experience:

I have never driven a van but I have noticed that most of the “slower” drivers are driving vans(at least the ones I have encountered so no offense to anyone who may drive a van). I remember my dad had an older work van that would only go up to about 80 or 90 MPH. (This was a very old van though) Any reason for this? Is it the way the van is built or is it just the driver?

I should add, the speed limit for our freeway is 60 MPH.(the least is 45) These people are going about 45-50.
aerodynamics, weight-to-power ratio, transmission geared for hauling.

on a side note ...

Sabine Schmitz's Nurburgring Van challenge part 1 - BBC - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
I've driven a couple dozen 15 passenger and high top extended conversion vans. I am usually one of the faster drivers, but in these I didn't want to drive over ~70. Those vans are like sails. A stiff sudden wind can equal an attempted lane change on the highway. Not fun with a dozen guys or a ton of gear.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
I can't speak for those folk driving V-10 or turbo diesel powered vans ...

but mine is definitely on the pokey side with a 5.2 Dodge V-8 and modest HP driving a well equipped Class B RV.

I get to use the OD lock-out frequently to climb grades and small hills at altitude around WY. So I stay to the right and try to keep out of the way of faster traffic; I'll pull over if needed to accomodate traffic if I get a few folks behind me.

The trade-off is I get much better fuel economy at 60-65ish than I do at 75 mph (the legal limit on our Interstate Highways).

Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
High weight, high center of gravity, poor driving dynamics. Driving one like it's a Porsche doesn't work.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,859 times
Most vans are driving slow because they have candy and 12 stolen children inside weighing it down

Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I've driven a couple dozen 15 passenger and high top extended conversion vans. I am usually one of the faster drivers, but in these I didn't want to drive over ~70. Those vans are like sails. A stiff sudden wind can equal an attempted lane change on the highway. Not fun with a dozen guys or a ton of gear.
I've owned quite a few work vans and minivans for various practical and work-related reasons over the last 30 years and agree with this...vans in general are neither nimble nor sporty; they are utilitarian beasts. I will typically drive a van much more conservatively than I would a higher-powered, less-utilitarian vehicle. My 8-cylinder Ford work van has plenty of speed and power if I romp on the go-pedal, but probably uses a gallon of gas every time I do that to pass LOL.

I'm not a slow driver by any means and nor will I be driving 50 in a 70 (depending on winter road conditions) but I definitely drive differently depending on the vehicle.

Also consider that many people driving "work vans" may actually be working and driving their employer's vehicle on the job, or parents ferrying around children, and people who enjoy driving in a more sporty manner probably tend not to buy vans of any sort in the first place.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Vans are hauling a lot of weight and tend to not be very aerodynamic but if you get a Van properly loaded (some weight down low like luggage under the seats) and with dual fuel tanks you can probably gain enough time with steady cruising over having to stop for gas more often. I used to wish my Van was equiped with dual controls so I could take a break and let my passanger drive without stopping.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I think it's a combination of van drivers learning by experience that beyond a certain speed their fuel economy falls off, and that most vans I have driven did not have the confidence-inspiring handling that encourages "sporting" driving.

As demonstrated by Ms. Sabine, a driver who knows what they are about can go pretty fast in a van - I think it's just that most van owner/drivers are not interested in going fast.

On a related note you see a lot of Gold Wing motorcycles going rather slow. The Wing is not an inherently slow bike by any means, but it attracts a lot of riders who for whatever reason are not interested in pushing the envelope. (I know this because one group I used to ride with in Colorado included a guy with about an 84 Wing, and he kept up with the rest of us hooligans quite well, thanks...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive