Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed down my choices to these two similar but different smaller cars. I'm leaning more towards the Golf since I like how it looks more and I love Germany so driving a German car would mean something to me. However, I've read alot of good reviews and the MPG on the new Mazda 3 is very impressive at 40 mpg on the freeway.

I'm a single late 20's male and I really don't care about speed...I got that out of my system with a GT Mustang when I was younger. I care about maintenance and reliability. I'll be getting the basic model as well.

It's been a while since I test drove these two so I'm going to do that before making any decisions but what do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 AM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
I've owned a couple of Mazdas and think you can't go wrong with buying a 3. I recently drove a Golf as a rental car and was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it (I own a Beemer and prefer German cars if you can accept the cost to buy and maintain them). Mazda 3 reviews have been excellent.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:58 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,352 times
I'd get the Golf. I'm biased because I drive my Jetta. Don't get me wrong, Mazda is a wonderful brand, too. I think whatever you choose, you'll be fine.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
I loved my Jetta VR6 and my parents' '09 Jetta is a great car, so I certainly think you couldn't go wrong with the Golf The 2.5 isn't a bad engine at all if you're not really looking for a super-fast car; still torquey enough, and surprisingly quick passing on the freeway if it's in "sport" shifting mode or you're using Tiptronic.

The Mazda 3 is probably more reliable, especially in the long run, and with the new redesign they're finally not comically bad-looking! The last generation was one of the goofiest looking cars on the road, even though the Mazdaspeed 3 was one of the best hot hatches around. The Golf feels a bit more solid at high speeds, mainly because it's 300lbs heavier, but the Mazda3 feels a lot more nimble and sporty. It's plenty peppy; it has less HP and torque than the Golf and the engine is buzzier, but they actually move about the same.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, really.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:49 AM

774 posts, read 2,383,491 times
I've owned 3 new Mazda's (2 Mazda 6's and a Miata).
They've generally been good cars but I have a couple of complaints:

1. I'll never buy any car that has a plastic oil filter housing. I was going down the highway and it cracked and spewed oil everywhere, almost blowing the engine. Mazda dealer just blew it off stating they'd convert it to a conventional filter for $150.

2. Mazda's warranty is substandard in my opinion. My other mazda 6 would just die while going down the road. After about 20 minutes, it would start again and run fine. It was towed to the dealer at least 5 times. They couldn't really find the problem and stated that basically: "if it doesn't do it here, it's your problem".
I actually had one dealer tell me that mazda won't respond to any of these problems, but if I had a Hyundai, they would work with the dealer to sort it out.

That said, I would think the Mazda 3 is a lot cheaper, so that might be a factor too.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,257,246 times
I would go with the golf, but then again I am biased too. I love my GTI

Old 02-14-2014, 07:10 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,898,855 times
You can get a left over '14 WRX for under $24K (base). If AWD, 5 speed manual, and a turbo interest you, you can't beat it.

The '15 Golf and Mazda3 are made in Mexico.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The '15 Golf and Mazda3 are made in Mexico.
This is concerning me as well, but otherwise drive both and pick whichever you like more. The Mazda may on average be more reliable than the VW. In any given single example though, it's impossible to say that for sure. I've enjoyed driving both Mazdas and VWs. The last Jetta I drove last year (same as Golf, just with a trunk) was a fantastic highway cruiser, very comfortable, in addition to having good driving dynamics. I drove it about 2000 miles.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:44 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
...1. I'll never buy any car that has a plastic oil filter housing. I was going down the highway and it cracked and spewed oil everywhere, almost blowing the engine. Mazda dealer just blew it off stating they'd convert it to a conventional filter for $150. ...
The Mazda 3 and the 2.5L Golf both have the plastic oil filter housing. I'd avoid taking any such car to a typical oil fast lube type place. They have a tendency to be too rough with the housing. When I'm changing my own oil, I personally prefer the plastic filter housing. It requires a special tool or two depending on the canister type but it's a lot cleaner and faster IMHO.

I'd take a Golf R over a Speed 3, but base models? I'd take the Mazda. Neither is particularly fun to drive without their go-fast engines. The Golf might be slightly more comfortable on the inside but not enough to justify the increase in price.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I've owned both, and drove all three for at least seven years.

As much as I've loved both Golfs I've had (87 and 98), my Mazda (06) has proven to be so much easier on the pocketbook as far as repairs go. VWs seem more solid on the road.

You can't go wrong with either car. I'd flip a coin! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive