Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 03:26 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times

Advertisements

Escape Hybrid/ Mazda Protege Hybrid. Same car
Good mileage and reliability. 4 cyl is over 30 mpg.
Also, Ford Sport Track. Also Mazda. Not so good on mpg, but good on reliability as it's Mazda.
If you really want something older/cheaper, 1st gen CR-V or RAV 4. Not fancy but very good cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
I wish I had kept my old mazda 6 instead of trading it in

Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Surprised the Dunlops don't cut it, winter sport are thought of favorably by guys around here (PacNW) who use them for skiing. Granted, snow tires on my sport pickup do not improve its poor winter manners much, either, absent 300 lbs of weight over the rear wheel wells. Some cars/trucks just aren't cut out for snow. Hence my AWD 911 P-car, but that was a choice I made.

If you're already planning to have kids, the answer is before you. Cross that bridge when you come to it, not before. Out west, $3K would only buy an Outback parts car, not including sales tax. May you have better luck; east coast has corrosion stuff to worry about, as you say.

Like the other guy indicates, once "a baby" and all that BS is in the pipe, all bets are off unless you're independently wealthy or in a growth field. Gaming it all out, may wish to wait until the crazy train has left the station before buying any more vehicles (woman moved in, pregnant, clamoring about "furniture" and other garbage no man cares about). Until then, mass transit is probably an attractive option in the winter months? Assuming available, of course.

Mildly surprised the S4 didn't win out as your do-everything car. AWD of various flavors are great do-everything cars here in the land of constant winter rain, marginal traction, and (rare) snow. In my case: test drove an S5, found it gorgeous but uninspiring, hence the AWD P-car as both the sports car and snow runabout. Problem solved.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Surprised the Dunlops don't cut it, winter sport are thought of favorably by guys around here (PacNW) who use them for skiing. Granted, snow tires on my sport pickup do not improve its poor winter manners much, either, absent 300 lbs of weight over the rear wheel wells. Some cars/trucks just aren't cut out for snow. Hence my AWD 911 P-car, but that was a choice I made.

If you're already planning to have kids, the answer is before you. Cross that bridge when you come to it, not before. Out west, $3K would only buy an Outback parts car, not including sales tax. May you have better luck; east coast has corrosion stuff to worry about, as you say.

Like the other guy indicates, once "a baby" and all that BS is in the pipe, all bets are off unless you're independently wealthy or in a growth field. Gaming it all out, may wish to wait until the crazy train has left the station before buying any more vehicles (woman moved in, pregnant, clamoring about "furniture" and other garbage no man cares about). Until then, mass transit is probably an attractive option in the winter months? Assuming available, of course.

Mildly surprised the S4 didn't win out as your do-everything car. AWD of various flavors are great do-everything cars here in the land of constant winter rain, marginal traction, and (rare) snow. In my case: test drove an S5, found it gorgeous but uninspiring, hence the AWD P-car as both the sports car and snow runabout. Problem solved.

the S4 at the time was a little too pricey for me I couldn't find a certified one for under $40k while I got my 370Z for 24k. I didn't get it certified but I should have (no issues but for peace of mind). I also wanted something that barely anyone had around here and was a pure sports car. I test drove a G37 coupe and while it was still very fast it felt like a boat.

the Dunlops do work very well but if I still had the car instead of springing for another set every few seasons I started considering a second car, also to keep the Z out of the snow/salt/crap. If I don't go that route though, an S4/S5 could be in the future. I drove my uncle's S5 and it was amazing.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM

358 posts, read 886,658 times
Perhaps a Subaru WRX. You get both AWD for snow and performance for the nice weather

Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 PM

yeah I have been thinking about them. I don't like the new one though (loved the concept but they toned it down a lot)

Old 01-27-2014, 06:11 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Honda Civic's a no brainer, I had a 2006 coupe and it was great in the snow.
Agreed. My 94 hatchback plowed through snowdrifts better than a lot of SUVs I saw that had slid off the road.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM

374 posts, read 492,184 times
Older Mercedes are awesome in the snow. They are like tanks, safe and cheap to insure due to how safe they are rated. The leather seats, sunroof and impeccable condition of most, (as owners usually love them and maintain) is a huge plus. Just make sure if you get one it has been maintained. A maintained older Mercedes is a gem, a unmaintained one an expensive endeavor. I have quite a few Mercedes and love each of them.

Just be careful of the years of 93-95 they are great but make sure wiring harness was already replaced as that is the years they had green " disintegrating " ones

Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM

109 posts, read 161,075 times
I have an old Subaru Forester as my "beater" car, and its been great this winter. That way I don't have to take the "nice" car out in storms, plus I didn't get round to putting snow tires on it.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:43 PM

^ I should have done that to start off. but I wanted this car so bad lol

what year is your forester? I heard early 2000's models and earlier had head gasket issues but my dad has a 2009 and put 90k on it so far and no issues at all (even has the same tires with tread life left!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive