Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm shopping around for a replacement for my '95 Chevy Blazer has 214,000 on the clock. I was looking at a '06/'07 Chevy Equinox, but after doing some extensive research I discovered that the Equinox has serious climate control issues (heater blows cold air; A/C blows hot air) and GM refusing to recall the vehicle! So I'm settling on another vehicle. Any-hoo, I've looked at a couple of cars and I insist emphatically that I take the car to my mechanic - repeat, MY mechanic as he will be the one servicing my car for years to come. However, ever since Irene and Sandy, I'm being anal retentive as I want the frame rails, main seals, the entire undercarriage checked and double checked! No lookee, NO BUY, No exception! I answered a Craigslist ad, went out to see the car, and the guy got mad at me claiming that I was turning it into a "all-day affair". Obviously I didn't buy his car. Maybe I'm being a P*I*T*A* but I want a vehicle that will give me years of trouble-free service. I hate to admit but I've actually been considering a couple of car lots...maybe they won't be so confrontational!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Well, it -is- a PITA if you want to take the seller's car for an all-day checkup. As a seller, there's no way I'd let you take the car on your own which means I have to take the whole day off as well -- and then there's no guarantee you'd buy it! Especially if it's for ,say, a $5,000 car. I'd rather deal with a less persnickety buyer.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:03 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I answered a Craigslist ad, went out to see the car, and the guy got mad at me claiming that I was turning it into a "all-day affair".
It really can be. When I had found a used car I was serious about buying a few years ago, the mom & pop dealership let me take it to a Honda dealership around the corner to have it checked out, and one of their employees went with me.

We were there for over six damn hours. I feel bad for the poor kid that got stuck with me.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
The rule of thumb is never buy vehicle in and or around an area that has been hit by a hurricane because you'll have more flood damaged vehicles.

It's always best to look outside of the affected area unless the seller / sellers will put in writing that the vehicle has "NO FLOOD DAMAGE" which will be very hard.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:13 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Eh...Don't let your CL experience thwart you away. CL is goofy because people (yes, even you and me) are goofy. One guy might not be patient and one guy is a whack job and one guy is normal but thinks he should get what the dealer is asking with a CPO warranty.

Also, you can check yourself for flood damage, no mechanic needed. Here are some tips; start the car with the Heat/AC off, then crank the fan. If dust blows out, the car is likely been in a flood. Check the seat rails for rust. Stick your hand up under the console to see if there is muck. Check the headliner for stains. Check for a musty smell. Check the trunk, and under the spare and the trunks carpet, for signs of water penetration.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:43 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
OP, this is not a Q, this is a statement, which is OK to do. I do understand where you coming from and feel, you should not be buying off c-list at all. Simply buy from dealer and a certified vehicle.
Will or not it be a good car, that will only time show. Will or not be a good car your mech will inspect - that will only time show.Buying used is ALWAYS a crap shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive