Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 09:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,495,418 times

Advertisements

The limits above are a little ridiculous, 120?!?!. Most people ride on tires that are rated for 90-115, only sports sedans or other performance car types run higher rated tires for say 130+

As for Germany, the cost of a license is over $1,000 US dollars and takes a lot of time in class and driving to achieve. They also have the keep right law which is strictly enforced and they look for other offenders such as tailgaters. That right there is a big difference, the US is more concerned about speeding than other more important safety concerns and it shows in the ticket prices.

If I was an officer I'd pull people over for doing say 85-90 on the highway but generally leave those in the 70-80 alone. I'd also be on the lookout and ticketing people for the following more than speeding;
-failure to use signal
-improper lane change
-headlights not on at appropriate times (dusk, inclement weather)
-high beams on in traffic
-lights out
-cell phones
-etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
The limits above are a little ridiculous, 120?!?!. Most people ride on tires that are rated for 90-115, only sports sedans or other performance car types run higher rated tires for say 130+
A speed limit is just that -- a limit, not a requirement. If your car isn't equipped to drive 120, then don't drive 120. Problem solved.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Exactly what qualifications are required to do 120mph while someone in the next lane is doing 90? You act like this is some technically complicated feat.

"Race track speeds" can work just fine on properly designed highways and with properly educated and disciplined drivers.
How much race track experience do you have? I have 25+ years and I am not qualified to drive on the highway doing 125 when cars next to me are doing 90.

Just last week at Daytona Speedway one of the best road racers in the world was doing around 120+ when he pulled out to pass and ran right into a much slower stalled car. He is still in the hospital with broken limbs and a think a broken back.

But I guess your a much better driver than he is.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Right, because the driving situations on a track and on a highway are exactly the same, and therefore the experiences from one translate directly to the other.

I hate to be the guy who says "but on the autobahn..." but the fact is under the right circumstances people manage 120/90 speed differentials all day every day without incident. It's really not that difficult.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD
How much race track experience do you have? I have 25+ years and I am not qualified to drive on the highway doing 125 when cars next to me are doing 90.

Just last week at Daytona Speedway one of the best road racers in the world was doing around 120+ when he pulled out to pass and ran right into a much slower stalled car. He is still in the hospital with broken limbs and a think a broken back.

But I guess your a much better driver than he is.
Actually, his post says he isn't qualified since he doesn't have the nonexistent endorsement.

It's pretty regular (as in daily occurrence) to get passed by cars doing 120 on the autobahn. I've only driven in Germany once for a few days. We were in minivan, so we were doing about 80 (the recommended speed) getting regularly passed by cars doing 90-120. It wasn't a problem. There's very little traffic in the left lane as they treat it as a passing lane. As soon as they pass the predominant flow of traffic doing 75-80, they get into the travel lanes. It's a little odd. You double and triple check when you get over into the passing lane. Cars coming up at you doing 120+ are on you much faster than you'd expect.

In general, there's much better sightlines on the autobahn, the pavement is better, and most importantly, people drive differently. Nobody drives at 50-55 in the leftmost lane there which is a daily occurrence here in America. I didn't see anyone weaving through traffic. The times when traffic was heavy and the 120 mph guys couldn't go faster, they just waited.

At any rate, good drivers can make mistakes. You're never supposed to out drive your line of sight on a public road. That isn't a rule that applies on a track. Different situations.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-04-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You were doing good until you suggested 120 MPH on most interstates. You are not qualified to drive 120 MPH on the highway with other cars in the next lane doing only doing 90. Dumb suggestion.

What is wrong with that? I was driving up to 90 coming in to work today passing some cars going only 60.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:42 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Short answer: Look at the local speed limits on a case-by-case basis.

Some sections of interstate are appropriate in basic design and prevailing traffic conditions to make an 75 to 85 mph speed limit reasonable, others are not. Same thing for other non-interstate highway.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What is wrong with that? I was driving up to 90 coming in to work today passing some cars going only 60.
NFN but you were driving while stupid. I guess the only consolation is that there are many drivers who speed so you are not the only stupid driver.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, his post says he isn't qualified since he doesn't have the nonexistent endorsement.

It's pretty regular (as in daily occurrence) to get passed by cars doing 120 on the autobahn. I've only driven in Germany once for a few days. We were in minivan, so we were doing about 80 (the recommended speed) getting regularly passed by cars doing 90-120. It wasn't a problem. There's very little traffic in the left lane as they treat it as a passing lane. As soon as they pass the predominant flow of traffic doing 75-80, they get into the travel lanes. It's a little odd. You double and triple check when you get over into the passing lane. Cars coming up at you doing 120+ are on you much faster than you'd expect.

In general, there's much better sightlines on the autobahn, the pavement is better, and most importantly, people drive differently. Nobody drives at 50-55 in the leftmost lane there which is a daily occurrence here in America. I didn't see anyone weaving through traffic. The times when traffic was heavy and the 120 mph guys couldn't go faster, they just waited.

At any rate, good drivers can make mistakes. You're never supposed to out drive your line of sight on a public road. That isn't a rule that applies on a track. Different situations.
We don't have an Autobahn in the US so that type of driving does not apply to us. That being said I have seen many videos of HS crashes on the Autobahn so it is not foolproof there either.

Common sense speed limits work here except for the know it all's who can handle any speed because they think they can.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM

When this whole thread is a thought experiment, "we don't have an Autobahn" is a cop-out response. The question posed here isn't "what do we have" but what could/should we have. If you're comfortable with the "common sense" speed limits that seem to based on a list of criteria with "common sense" somewhere near the bottom of that list, fine. But that doesn't make those of us who disagree "know-it-alls."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive