Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 04:14 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,277 times

Advertisements

For the real world, yep a small 4banger is a heck of a lot easier to work out than a full size truck for many jobs. Course the small bed that makes it so handy can be a problem when u need to get a large load of material, for that a full size truck w/a trailor comes in handy, which I have both, lol. If u need sumthan to get around in heavy snow get a Subaru, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 04:21 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Search engine results pertaining to the history of 4-wheel drive are contradictory. At any rate, with specific reference to pickup trucks, I wonder how these vehicles could have been useful with only rear wheel drive. Even on dry surfaces, the traction is not always the best. I guess no one here is old enough to have owned a pickup that had only rear wheel drive.
LOL. I remember plowing snow with my Dad's '72 Ford F250 Camper Special 2WD. We put chains on the back tires and that thing would push snow all day long.

My first work pick up was an '82 Ford F100 2WD. I remember driving over the snow drifts across fields in South Dakota in the winter.

My Dad used to say the only difference between 2WD and 4WD is the length of chain it takes to pull them out of the ditch (4WD goes in deeper LOL).

Every time there is a snow storm here in the Twin Cities the first video is some idiot's 4WD pick up or SUV sitting on it's roof in the median.

I have an AWD SUV and I'll say this, the only thing that 4WD/AWD is good for is taking off on hills or just taking off in general. Very little benefit once underway and no help in braking.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:54 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Every time there is a snow storm here in the Twin Cities the first video is some idiot's 4WD pick up or SUV sitting on it's roof in the median.
These forums are always loaded with these comments but what everybody leaves out is how many of these so called incidents did the drivers actually use the 4 wheel drive. I'd imagine only 1 out of 10 with a 4X4 actually put it into 4hi BEFORE it is needed, if at all. Yea I've seen 4X's have their tail go around on acceleration in the snow, I'd bet loads of money that they weren't in 4 wheel drive---as only the rear was spinning so sending the rear around. A 4X4 is only a 4X4 if the 4X4 is engaged. I can hit it from a stop in my truck (4X4) and it might lurch sideways (frt and rear kind of like a crab) until it catches. Then it goes straight.

I'm not denying that a 2 wheel drive truck can be driven in the snow as many are and do fine if driven right. Now drive a 4X4 (in 4 wheel drive) and that same vehicle handles much better so if you have a 4X4----PUT IT IN 4hi BEFORE you need it, not after as then it will be too late. I've heard too many times people stating to use 4X4 afte you have a problem, well then it's too late. Take for instance a snowy, but plowed highway. You might hit dry patches and some sections which are bad. Side streets are slick and snowy. I put my truck in 4HI before leaving the house. While on the highway I am in 4HI. Therefore I am in 4 hi on those snowy patches and as I turn onto the bad side roads, not after when I possibly could have gone into a skid. The dry sections won't hurt it one bit.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
^The above post reflects a lot of naiveté about driving a 4WD on slick roads. Driving in 4WD is great for acceleration and climbing hills when roads are slick, but when decelerating or driving down a significant downgrade on slick roads, having 4WD engaged is no advantage and, in fact, can be a detriment. Why? In those circumstances, the front driveline "drag" can actually cause the front wheels to break traction and slide, causing a loss of steering control of the vehicle. Not surprisingly, a lot of situations where one sees a 4WD in the ditch are those on downhill grades or where the vehicle was attempting to decelerate. Many drivers of 4WD's also mistakenly think that they can drive the same speed downgrade in a 4WD that they can going upgrade--a HUGE mistake. I would note that front-wheel-drive vehicles need to be driven with the same caution when driving downgrade or decelerating on slick roads--for the same reasons.

Take my word for it--I've been driving 4WD's in the mountains in adverse winter driving conditions for over four decades. I know what works and what doesn't.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^The above post reflects a lot of naiveté about driving a 4WD on slick roads. Driving in 4WD is great for acceleration and climbing hills when roads are slick, but when decelerating or driving down a significant downgrade on slick roads, having 4WD engaged is no advantage and, in fact, can be a detriment. Why? In those circumstances, the front driveline "drag" can actually cause the front wheels to break traction and slide, causing a loss of steering control of the vehicle. Not surprisingly, a lot of situations where one sees a 4WD in the ditch are those on downhill grades or where the vehicle was attempting to decelerate. Many drivers of 4WD's also mistakenly think that they can drive the same speed downgrade in a 4WD that they can going upgrade--a HUGE mistake.

Take my word for it--I've been driving 4WD's in the mountains in adverse winter driving conditions for over four decades. I know what works and what doesn't.

Yep.

I drive a Wrangler, and I poke along when the snow is bad. I see the jerk in his Expedition blow past me and I think....well, I'll see ya in the ditch in about 5 minutes.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:30 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL. I remember plowing snow with my Dad's '72 Ford F250 Camper Special 2WD. We put chains on the back tires and that thing would push snow all day long.

My first work pick up was an '82 Ford F100 2WD. I remember driving over the snow drifts across fields in South Dakota in the winter.

My Dad used to say the only difference between 2WD and 4WD is the length of chain it takes to pull them out of the ditch (4WD goes in deeper LOL).

I have an AWD SUV and I'll say this, the only thing that 4WD/AWD is good for is taking off on hills or just taking off in general. Very little benefit once underway and no help in braking.

........."Very little benefit once underway "...

I strongly disagree.

2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4

December 3 I am heading from Arkansas back to MN to bring my wife's urn back to MN for funeral mass and burial. Since heavy snow was forecasted for MN for the next day, I decided to not stop and drive the 898 miles straight thru and beat the snow. The freeways were good all the way and at 10:30PM exited the freeway for the final 12 miles on a state hwy.

State hwy was good in town ,but the minute I left the city limits the truck would slide across the road into the other lane. I stopped , got out and checked............ solid ice. I went another half mile at 20 mph and I had no control over the truck whatsoever. THIS WAS AT 20 MPH

I then put it into 4wd and drove carefully at 45mph.

The truck never crossed the center line nor swayed

I don't see any way I could have made that last 11 miles w/o using the 4wd.

I know, I know, there are posters who state they can drive their 2wd truck anywhere with not even any weight in the back.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:42 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
........."Very little benefit once underway "...

I strongly disagree.

2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4

December 3 I am heading from Arkansas back to MN to bring my wife's urn back to MN for funeral mass and burial. Since heavy snow was forecasted for MN for the next day, I decided to not stop and drive the 898 miles straight thru and beat the snow. The freeways were good all the way and at 10:30PM exited the freeway for the final 12 miles on a state hwy.

State hwy was good in town ,but the minute I left the city limits the truck would slide across the road into the other lane. I stopped , got out and checked............ solid ice. I went another half mile at 20 mph and I had no control over the truck whatsoever. THIS WAS AT 20 MPH

I then put it into 4wd and drove carefully at 45mph.

The truck never crossed the center line nor swayed

I don't see any way I could have made that last 11 miles w/o using the 4wd.

I know, I know, there are posters who state they can drive their 2wd truck anywhere with not even any weight in the back.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet.
Nor do I-45 miles and hour on ice.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,847,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
^The above post reflects a lot of naiveté about driving a 4WD on slick roads. Driving in 4WD is great for acceleration and climbing hills when roads are slick, but when decelerating or driving down a significant downgrade on slick roads, having 4WD engaged is no advantage and, in fact, can be a detriment. Why? In those circumstances, the front driveline "drag" can actually cause the front wheels to break traction and slide, causing a loss of steering control of the vehicle. Not surprisingly, a lot of situations where one sees a 4WD in the ditch are those on downhill grades or where the vehicle was attempting to decelerate. Many drivers of 4WD's also mistakenly think that they can drive the same speed downgrade in a 4WD that they can going upgrade--a HUGE mistake. I would note that front-wheel-drive vehicles need to be driven with the same caution when driving downgrade or decelerating on slick roads--for the same reasons.

The following post was written after I thought I read more to the quoted post above. For some reason I thought there was a line aimed at me about using speed so I quoted and answered but upon reading further I don't see that line. Perhaps it was edited out before I hit reply with quote or perhaps I had a brain fart, perhaps it was another post. Oh well. I leave the following post as written just to further clarify my points in my previous post but I don't mean to come across as a smart #$$ as I agree to a lot of the reply's.

Gotta love the internet, where everything needs to be spelled out word for word.

Not once did I mention the use of speed or being able to go faster when in 4X4. I actually mentioned that 2 wheel drives driven correctly can be quite capable but a 4X4 driven THE SAME WAY (as in slow, smooth, and cautious) is even more capable. I also stressed that if you have a 4X4 the time to engage the front axle is before you need it, NOT after it is needed. My little blip about me hitting it from a stop hard and having the whole truck crab sideways a bit from a stop is not in traffic. That same manuver will spin the #$$ around pretty quick if in 2 wheel drive but in 4HI the whole truck moves a bit to side and then it goes. Yes, I get immature and have the kid come out in me when I find a large, empty parking lot without any parking blocks to have fun in. It happens. It also gets me practice as to what my truck will/won't do when SNOWY. On the road all acceleration, turning and stopping are done smooth and easily. I also ignore speed limits, as in I drive slower and my foot comes off the accelerator when hitting snowy and slick spots while on the highway. I may not live in the snowiest section of the country but I do like to seek it out and have driven a bunch in it.

In my examples as well I mentioned SNOWY and slick, NOT ICY. Ice doesn't care how many wheels are driving. I've mentioned that in other posts, but a typical snowy road 4X4 is better. Does that mean everybody needs to go out and get a 4X4 if they expect to have any snow? NO. Not at all, but if you have one, put it in 4hi. Sections of dry road won't hurt when in 4hi, that way it is engaged when you need it, or at least when it may be helpful. But there is a reason there are a lot of 4X4's in places with a lot of snow. A lot of people get 4X's for hauling boats as well because having that extra set pulling helps get a boat out of the water, especially when the front wheels will be on the drier and non slick section of the ramp.

I myself have always had 4 wheel drive as I like to drive out on the beach to go surf fishing. Is it needed? Again, not necessarily if you have wide tires tires and a posi or locker and air down extremely low. Even in our super soft mid-Atlantic and Carolina beaches. I had a bronco in another life with 38" super swampers and on one of my trips to the OBX a U-joint went and grenaded the driveshaft (imagine that!). But that didn't stop me as I aired down to about 5lbs and just floated with my "front wheel drive" bronco for the rest of the week, then drove home. But 4 wheel drive sure makes it better. Now put over sized tires on that 4X and air them down considerably and you have a truck that glides over the sand effortlessly with a lot less strain on the motor. Can I still get stuck? Sure.

Last edited by marlinfshr; 02-08-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:13 PM

818 posts, read 1,016,955 times
Four wheel drive is only optimal if you live where there is a good amount or snow in the winter or you go off roading. I rarely need to use it, but it is good to have when the snow flies. I had a S10 two wheel drive and when it snowed I would fill up the bed with snow and rarely got stuck. Grippy tires are just as good as 4wd sometimes. Hills are where you can have problems without it. Also tire inflation pressure can make a difference, lower pressure for better grip. Higher for fuel economy.
I run 45-50psi on my load range E for better economy and load handling, they will go up to 85 but that would be a terrible and dangerous ride.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 02-08-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 07:23 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Four wheel drive is only optimal if you live where there is a good amount or snow in the winter or you go off roading.
I used my truck three times today in 4wd, once was even in low range in my driveway parking my trailer. 4wd shines in mud and rain as well as snow and ice. I have a very healthy respect for black ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive