Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 943 times

Advertisements

I have a bmw 325i 2006 had tune up did and valve cover gasket replacement and the car cuts off at stop idilling shaking when it comes on please help me 2 weeks ago had completely Feul pump did what is the problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:32 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I had a 91 Honda Civic that did this exact same thing. It would just randomly shut off without any warning or any pattern. Took it to specialized Honda shop for diagnostic and they checked every sensor and component and never found anything wrong. Ended up selling it to the shop so they could use it for parts. Darn shame too since it was such an awesome little car.
I had a 91 civic that did the same thing. Ended up being the main relay under the steering column. When they get old the solder joints go bad and the connection is broken. The relay doesn't work so it doesn't turn on the fuel system. Car would stop running without warning. Part was easy to replace (plug in) and cost only $30

Old 04-17-2016, 11:20 AM

131 posts, read 220,790 times
I had a bad fuel pump ground wire cause that. Test ground wires by isolating them and running 12v through them with something with higher current like a spare headlight. A ground wire can be semi-faulty so putting an electrical load on it like running enough current through it to illuminate a headlight will show you if it has a good connection or not based on how bright or dim it lights up.

Did you try checking out Alero specific forums becasue that might be a common symptom/problem that other owners can quickly point out.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,818 times
My car did the same thing and they thought it was my alternator but since lights stayed on it was an electrical issue.. Well turns out I just had corroded battery terminals they needed tightened and cleaned and now runs great. Maybe check that or your ignition switch.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:41 PM

131 posts, read 220,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Graff View Post
My car did the same thing and they thought it was my alternator but since lights stayed on it was an electrical issue.. Well turns out I just had corroded battery terminals they needed tightened and cleaned and now runs great. Maybe check that or your ignition switch.
Yes, I had times where battery terminal even looked clean and felt tight but it did if fact need to be taken off and cleaned which solved the problem.

Some cars were also know to have ECU's with substandard capacitors that eventually leak and cause mysterious problems. Early 90's Mitsubishis and others were so prone to it that a cottage industry sprouted up repairing these ECU's +TCU's. My car, '93 Eclipse, is one of those so not only do I have my ECU upgraded with better capacitors, I also keep a good spare ECU around just to swap in to verify or rule out as the problem.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 767 times
I have a 1998 chevy caviler. Twice now it has shut down while driving with no warning at all

Old 11-18-2016, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 686 times
I have a 1995 buck regal custom 3.8, and mines is doing the exact same thing. However it starts up right after shutting off... Someone help please tell me where to start. Also when it did **** off the service engine light comes on then turns off when the car is turned off. I turn it on on no service light that's happened twice never happened before. And I don't want to get rid of it because it only has 96,000 miles and I own it. Help

Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 609 times
Hello I have a Peugeot 307 auto it cut out last night night while driving and wouldn't start back up
What could be the problem

Old 04-24-2017, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 564 times
I have a 2014 Jeep Compass, it turnd off while i was pulling in a parking lot. But i put it in Nutural n turnd it back on.
An im just wondering what is the problem.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Loose nut behind the wheel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive