Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:38 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If I buy a vehicle with a 3-on-the-tree (which I think would be super cool since it's the only stick shift I've never driven), would it be a problem taking it to the shop? After all, how many people, including mechanics, know how to drive a 3-on-the-tree? I wouldn't want them to wreck my transmission because they're trying to figure out how to drive it. Do you think this will be a problem or am I creating my own trouble?
If you are going to go for a rig this old, you would be better off being prepared to do all your own maintenance. It's not hard or complicated.

One 3-on-the-tree setup that I know about is mid-60's GMC trucks. Turns out that the axial free play in the shifter mechanism is pretty critical, for years my Dad had trouble with that shifter, but once I set the end-play per the factory manual it worked a lot better.

The vast majority of such will have an unsyncronized first and revers gear, impatient knuckleheads will tend to grind them if they don't go in immediately.

Resolve that you will be the only mechanic and the only driver and enjoy. Otherwise it's not going to be a good experience. Unless you live next to Sunsprit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
One 3-on-the-tree setup that I know about is mid-60's GMC trucks. Turns out that the axial free play in the shifter mechanism is pretty critical, for years my Dad had trouble with that shifter, but once I set the end-play per the factory manual it worked a lot better.
There were no significant changes to the system from that point to the end of production in 1987.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Back in the 80s I had a 74 Dodge van with a slant six and 3 on the tree. It was a total dog with VW vans passing me while going up mountains. The shift mechanism was real sloppy and could be put into and out of "lockup" mode without a crowbar. The thief who tried to steal it out of a mall parking lot didn't know that and left it sitting there with the ignition hot wired. Real theft protection.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Where in the heck are you going to find one ?
I currently have 2.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:39 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
i prefer a 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seat ...

Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
I've been driving a stick since 1973, but never drove 3 on a tree.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:01 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I had 3 different cars that were 4 on the tree, that boggled a lot of people.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:02 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
They made 'em through 1987. Chevy trucks were the last vehicles to have them, in the 1987 model year. I read that the F-series trucks were second to last, with 1986 being the final model year for them. I'd love to find a 1987 Chevy truck with a 3-on-the-tree, just to say I have the last model... but this vehicle is older. I'm not telling you where it is because I want it for myself... :-P

Theft prevention - who can steal a vehicle he can't drive?
Novelty - who else has one?
Bench seat with a stick shift. 'Nuff said. (I know that some floor-mounted sticks came with bench seats... my '82 Dodge Ram was like that... but for my wife's build, perhaps a column-mounted stick is better.)

I just might. First thing I'll certainly do is ask if any of the mechanics at whatever shop know how to drive one.

And so I shall. Truthfully, I'm not nuts about newer rides. My brother had a 2001 Corvette with a 6-speed stick and it had this stupid "skip shift" function whereby it would be mechanically locked out of shifting into 2nd and 3rd... so you'd go straight from 1 to 4 if you're not under hard throttle. Frankly, there's no point to having a stick shift if you cannot control what gear you select. Leave it to a modern computer to tell you what you can and can't do. I'll pass.

Let's talk about just how great they are, shall we?

Oxygen sensor replacement on 1996 Tahoe: $151 (and if you have to get all four of 'em done, just hit that "times 4" on your calculator to assess the damage!)
Oxygen sensor on vintage vehicle: $0 (no oxygen sensors!)

Alternator on 1996 Silverado: >$200 (couldn't replace it myself)
Alternator on 1996 Ford van: >$200 (couldn't replace it myself)

Alternator on 1982 Dodge Ram: ~$36 (and I was able to replace it myself)

Transmission replacement job on 1996 Tahoe (automatic) last week: $2,560
Transmission replacement job on 1982 Dodge Ram (manual) in 2005: $1,000 (even adjusted for inflation, it's barely half of the Tahoe's cost)

And I can't imagine what the replacement cost will be on one of those new 8-speed or 9-speed automatic transmissions. When one of those goes blooey, empty the bank account and max out the credit card.

My brother's 2008 HHR SS started having engine trouble. At 56,000 miles. He doesn't drive it rough. Engine replacement cost: $8,000 as estimated by dealership. My guess is that an older engine wouldn't cost even half that much to replace.

Essentially, I'm sick of newer vehicles. Give me a good old-fashioned straight six where I can see the road through both sides of the engine compartment, where the exhaust stinks if you're behind it, and where you don't need jacks nor fancy tools to change the oil.
I agree with every point made!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:52 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
My wife wouldn't like the manual window and door locks... but I think she'd get used to it. Not long ago she pointed out an old truck in a parking lot that she thought looked cool... so I looked over... it was an early 1980's Dodge Ram. *score*

I guarantee that if anyone tried to jack a 3-on-the-tree, they wouldn't even be able to move it.

I've never heard of that. Would it have a fifth position for reverse? (If yes, what would've stopped them from making a FIVE on the tree? )
Just think of the letter H when driving a stick.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
And so I shall. Truthfully, I'm not nuts about newer rides. My brother had a 2001 Corvette with a 6-speed stick and it had this stupid "skip shift" function whereby it would be mechanically locked out of shifting into 2nd and 3rd... so you'd go straight from 1 to 4 if you're not under hard throttle. Frankly, there's no point to having a stick shift if you cannot control what gear you select. Leave it to a modern computer to tell you what you can and can't do. I'll pass.

Let's talk about just how great they are, shall we?

Oxygen sensor replacement on 1996 Tahoe: $151 (and if you have to get all four of 'em done, just hit that "times 4" on your calculator to assess the damage!)
Oxygen sensor on vintage vehicle: $0 (no oxygen sensors!)

Alternator on 1996 Silverado: >$200 (couldn't replace it myself)
Alternator on 1996 Ford van: >$200 (couldn't replace it myself)

Alternator on 1982 Dodge Ram: ~$36 (and I was able to replace it myself)

Transmission replacement job on 1996 Tahoe (automatic) last week: $2,560
Transmission replacement job on 1982 Dodge Ram (manual) in 2005: $1,000 (even adjusted for inflation, it's barely half of the Tahoe's cost)

And I can't imagine what the replacement cost will be on one of those new 8-speed or 9-speed automatic transmissions. When one of those goes blooey, empty the bank account and max out the credit card.

My brother's 2008 HHR SS started having engine trouble. At 56,000 miles. He doesn't drive it rough. Engine replacement cost: $8,000 as estimated by dealership. My guess is that an older engine wouldn't cost even half that much to replace.

Essentially, I'm sick of newer vehicles. Give me a good old-fashioned straight six where I can see the road through both sides of the engine compartment, where the exhaust stinks if you're behind it, and where you don't need jacks nor fancy tools to change the oil.
1. The 1-4 skip shift is quite easy to bypass.

2. Oxygen sensor rarely go bad and the rear O2s simply monitor cat converter function...almost no need to replace them.

3. There should be a major price difference between an alternator for a carbed engine from the 80s and one for a later MPFI engine. The later alternator has much more responsibility and probably knocks out way more amps for good measure.

4. You overpaid for your transmission on the Tahoe. My dad's '97 Chevy (actually, my uncle's now) trans needed a rebuild--stator pump bit the dust, trans = scrap. <$1400 with non-factory crap guts and a cooler lobbed in for good measure. That's on you.

You may have a point on the 8/9-speed gizmos, but by the time those are out of warranty, the aftermarket fixes will be waiting.

Your brother's mistake was driving/buying/owning an HHR. I drove one with a coworker for the lab I used to work for. The AC compressor seized and took out lots of electronics for about a $3000 repair. What a pile. Wasn't even comfy. I was glad anytime I got to take my F150 for lab sample runs over that POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive