Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:06 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times

Advertisements

"When we come to the place
where the road and the sky collide
. . .
I'm just pulling away from yesterday
behind the wheel of a stolen Chevrolet"

Jackson Browne - The Road and the Sky - YouTube

"Twenty thousand miles to an oasis . . . "

Texarkana R.E.M. - YouTube

Creedence Cleawater Revival - IT CAME OUT OF THE SKY - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Speeding usually comes first, then the music to match it.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Speeding usually comes first, then the music to match it.
I agree. I always speed on the highway if conditions allow. The combination of the speed plus the risk of getting caught makes an otherwise boring drive a lot more fun. The music definitely enhances it, and the two together make each more enjoyable. But I don't require any type of music to speed. Speeding just comes naturally to me.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I don't listen to a ton of music in the car. I enjoy the sound of the car itself
Exactly! The whine of an 8-71 blower is music to my ears (you can quiet it by drilling holes in the top pulley to let the air escape from the 4" Bando belt).
AIC does it for me, to get me to speed. What is cool is that when I am an in NH, once or twice a year, the speed limit is 70 mph... so you don't get arrested until you hit 100.. (30 over is a no-no). There is no such thing as a speed limit where I live now, though I still have trouble driving on the left side of the road,)
To answer the question, I totally agree with the 'sound of the car itself' (you are only in 3rd gear in a 928, and I routinely did Boston to Rochester in 4 hours, but I will deny that ever happened), followed by AIC, Nirvana, Black Sabbath, CCR, Stevie Ray, and a huge range of audio artists. Have about 6 Tb of audio recordings.
Never went faster than 160 mph on a public road... scared the cr*p out of me.... even with a performance car designed for that speed, it starts getting 'light' on the road, and things happen in an instance.

So in summary, 'Would' by AIC has the tendency to make me drive way over the speed limit. Perhaps I have a neurological disorder on this end...

Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,095 times
This is a very good song

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNVhKQ5CJpw

Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Golden Earring - Radar love - YouTube

Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Jim Nesbitt anyone ? Very grateful to have bought that K-tel 24 Great Truck Drivin' Songs tape back in 1978, or my world would be so empty. Speeding outlaw truckers have needs too. Let's honor their lost way of life, back before the days of national child support laws and the CDL.

I Ain't Never Been Passed~Jim Nesbitt.wmv - YouTube

truck drivin' cat with nine wives jim nesbitt - YouTube

Some other noteworthy trucker songs to get smoke blowin' from the stack:

C.W. McCall - Convoy
Dave Dudley - 6 Days on the Road
Eddie Rabbit - I Love a Rainy Night

Many truckers would use Sheriff of Boone County by Kenny Price to slow down on, rather than my prefered Grateful Dead's Casey Jones.

If my trucker offerings did not please, then here's something more sophisticated for you.

Greased Lightning - YouTube

Old 02-24-2014, 04:33 PM

358 posts, read 886,537 times

CRAWLING FROM THE WRECKAGE - DAVE EDMUNDS - YouTube'

This one?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Default Covers all bases

This one covers all

Anthrax - I am the law [With Lyrics] - YouTube

Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yesterday I was driving home from work when Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream" came on. Naturally I turned up the volume and sang along. At one point I noticed I was flying past other cars and checked my speed. I was going over 90! I'm not a speeder anymore. It's been nearly 8 years since my last ticket.

That song really lends itself to letting it go. At least for me. What songs do it for you? What songs, when played while you're driving, seem to subconsciously encourage you to open it up?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjobdArtiA

This one ALWAYS makes me speed in the search for the nearest utility pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive