Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 AM

12,897 posts, read 13,566,665 times

Advertisements

To get downtown I have drive about two miles of roads that never get plowed in the winter. If I have to go the back way its two miles of rocks dinging my finish every day.The old guys use to say if you can only afford one vehicle it should be truck.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,583,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Making it impossible for me to se in front me.

Blinding me with their mirrors (which sit higher and reflect the sun at me)

Fumigate/Pollute (whichever you prefer) the hell out of this planet

Look, if you're in construction, sure use one, obviously you are hauling a lot of stuff, all the time. But if you work in an office...I cannot se the point of this one bit.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,583,670 times
Quote:
I didn't think about liking sitting up high over everything, guess that would be nice in heavy traffic at times.
Why? so you see a sea of cars?

I can justify having a truck (or a 4x4) in a mountainous/snowy area where it is harder to navigate otherwise; we live in Florida, flat lands no snow...that's why it is hard to justify aside from construction/landscaping/hauling type jobs.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,674,814 times
My brother is a pretty big executive. At a job or two ago he pulled his truck into executive parking. It was not an hour until the president showed up and made a snide remark about him driving a truck.

Within two weeks same president ask to borrow it to move some stuff for his wife. My bro says he was constantly ask to loan the truck "that didn't belong in exec parking."

Sums it up.

I will drive a truck till I die!

Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM

3,653 posts, read 4,784,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Why? so you see a sea of cars?
Nope! So you can see the break lights of the cars stopping up ahead of the car in front of you in which the driver is texting and not paying attention or for some other reason wants to wait until the last second to stop. Just 1 example of why it's nice to see over and ahead of other traffic for safety.

Or how about the other idiots who go racing up to a car that's stopped or moving very slow in front of them and then suddenly whip around him at the last second making anyone following have to slam on their breaks because they thought all was clear up ahead.

See, sitting up higher I could have seen either of the cars up ahead so I could have started slowing down before the car in front of me did, therefore avoiding a possible accident.

It's nice to have a view of ALL traffic around you so you can have a better idea of everything that is going on so problems can be avoided.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,515,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
First, what's wrong with somebody wanting to keep a $30.000 plus vehicle nice? That pick up may be their "sports car" or their "luxury car" and they don't want to get it scratched up.

Next, whats wrong with SUV's. They are among the most versatile vehicles out there. The SUV's I'm talking about are basically pick-up trucks with a cap but they have easier access to the things forward in the "bed" through doors.

When I was growing up station wagons were pretty popular because of their usefulness. But at some point they stopped being produced, about the same time that the old 2 door full sized SUV's added rear doors and all the smaller and mid sized ones came out as well. Then you basically had station wagons with the option of 4 wheel drive to even add to their usefulness and later AWD for those in snowy areas that don't intend to ever go off road. Very versatile vehicles for a family.

What can be more versatile then that?

Oh, a 4 door pick up which is basically an SUV with an open cargo area.

There is a reason such vehicles are very popular.
The reality behind a SUV is for many of the owners where I live a sedan would do just fine.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,145,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
The reality behind a SUV is for many of the owners where I live a sedan would do just fine.
I like an SUV because I'm short and I feel like I can't see when I'm driving a car. Sitting up higher allows me to see the road. I made a mistake of buying a crossover last time I bought a vehicle and it is NOT the same as an SUV. It sits too low. When I trade it in, I'll be getting an SUV.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:42 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,199,841 times
Quote:
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Be cause we want STEEL around us instead of poly-fiber-whateverthehellitis,and so we can haul a large payload ... and in case we have to shove little import toys like yours OUT of our way!

Old 02-15-2014, 11:43 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,809,834 times
People drive trucks because we live in America, and you can drive whatever you want without needing to justify it to those that have nothing better to complain about. With that said, I prefer an SUV for more interior space and the ability to lock my expensive tools inside, but also have a trailer for hauling the heavy duty stuff.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM

450 posts, read 793,738 times
I don't know but this morning I saw a pick-up truck drive past a Seven Eleven without stopping. Isn't that against the code?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive