Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 06:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,606,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Really?

How much additional money did you spend to acquire your Titan, pay for its registration, insurance, and regular maintenance?

In your situation, it may be cost-effective and practical but even if it's just sitting in your driveway, it's still costing you much more than the $7.98 a trip you believe it's costing you.

That's the point I'm trying to get through to you.

Please think about it.

While it really is none of your business, I'll tell you anyhow.

I paid $10,000 for the truck. Registration was $69, and the insurance (Full coverage with a $500 deductible) costs me $38 per month. And this is my daily driver, so it does NOT sit in my driveway. It's driven every day of the year.

And sitting in my driveway it costs me nothing but insurance. It's paid for.

But.... now I have to ask how that matters. Obviously it costs money to purchase ANY vehicle. Everyone pays registration and insurance, so those numbers cannot be factored into the cost of driving the truck. It's cheaper to insure than our 2014 Toyota Venza. Imagine that! Even if I had a prius, I'd have to pay those fees. And maintenance is required on ALL vehicles. I can guarantee it's cheaper than a Prius, Merecedes, Porsche, or Lexus! My oil changes cost me ~$35. My air filter is $8 and spark plugs are $3 each. Aside from that, the truck hasn't required any other maintenance.

Your argument is invalid. But thanks for playing!

Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,513,851 times
I know this is a bit off topic but this thread reminds me of the guys from here in nyc who go out and buy 7-9 passenger suv's and are either single and/or have no family to haul around. I never understood that. And from what I've witnessed it tends to be more the black hip hop type who does this here in NY. To each their own but why on earth would I want to drive a 7-9 passenger vehicle as my dd when 98% of the time there's no more than 2 people in it including the driver? Makes me think you're making up for what u lack in other areas.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM

I don't know why they do it in NY, but I know we owned an 05 Expedition for space and comfort. It made an 11 hr trip from Orlando to Huntsville a breeze. We only stopped twice for fuel and to use the restroom. I DD it for a long time until buying my Titan. Then once it began to sit in the driveway (my wife had a Camry) we took it and the Camry and traded them both on a Venza (mpg of a car, but space of a small SUV).

Old 05-30-2014, 07:43 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,618,429 times
I don't have to justify what I drive. I have a 3/4 pickup and camry. My wife has a camry. The pickup sees a lot of use. Sometimes it takes me 40 miles to work. Other times I'm hauling camping stuff. Other times I'm hauling equipment.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,727,430 times
It's America and I enjoy freedoms that we have.

If someone wants to:

Drive a truck
Drive a car
Walk everywhere
Marry someone of same sex
Buy a gun
Don't buy a gun
Etc, etc

It's none of my business

Old 05-30-2014, 09:29 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,080,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
That pretty much sums it all up.
Sadly, many people in the U.S. feel the need to buy lots of junk (boats, pets, motorcycles, horses, 4 wheelers, campers, snowmobiles). Then they tell themselves they have to buy even more, such as a larger house, land, or a truck because of these things they've bought. Then people wonder why they're broke or they complain about gas costing too much fill a tank.
That "stuff" enables a family to spend time together instead of gazing zombie-like into their smart phones. Not everyone considers "quality family time" to be a simple walk in the park or going to a restaurant. I, for one, value the time spent with my growing children and provide them life experiences that they will hopefully remember and do the same with their children. Not only that but passing down outdoors and survival skills that most "city kids" will never know how to do unless they can find a video on YouTube to tell them how.

If/when there is a food shortage/power grid attack/whatever...how many people do you know can head to the forest and kill/clean/cook their own food? Or are you relying on society to save you? And no, I am not a survivalist or plausibly think those things could happen but still....they could and why not be prepared. There...that's the Boy Scout coming out in me. It is about life skills and being self sufficient. If you are not into that...fine. Free Country. I just hope my family looks back on the time spent together fondly and hopefully helped them in their younger lives to become productive adults.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That "stuff" enables a family to spend time together instead of gazing zombie-like into their smart phones. Not everyone considers "quality family time" to be a simple walk in the park or going to a restaurant. I, for one, value the time spent with my growing children and provide them life experiences that they will hopefully remember and do the same with their children. Not only that but passing down outdoors and survival skills that most "city kids" will never know how to do unless they can find a video on YouTube to tell them how.

If/when there is a food shortage/power grid attack/whatever...how many people do you know can head to the forest and kill/clean/cook their own food? Or are you relying on society to save you? And no, I am not a survivalist or plausibly think those things could happen but still....they could and why not be prepared. There...that's the Boy Scout coming out in me. It is about life skills and being self sufficient. If you are not into that...fine. Free Country. I just hope my family looks back on the time spent together fondly and hopefully helped them in their younger lives to become productive adults.

Well said. I think more people should spend more time as a family outdoors without internet access. A lot of outdoor activities are facilitated by a truck. Another check in the box for the truck.

Haul your family of 4 and 4 bicycles in your Prius and let me know how that works out for you. Although I did see a man yesterday carrying home some 10ft sticks of crown moulding in his Prius. It was tied to his passenger side mirror and routed through the back of the car and out the hatch. I giggled to think that he got home and saw that about 1 ft had been eaten off by the pavement as he went over bumps and it ground into the pavement.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:57 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,618,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Well said. I think more people should spend more time as a family outdoors without internet access. A lot of outdoor activities are facilitated by a truck. Another check in the box for the truck.

Haul your family of 4 and 4 bicycles in your Prius and let me know how that works out for you. Although I did see a man yesterday carrying home some 10ft sticks of crown moulding in his Prius. It was tied to his passenger side mirror and routed through the back of the car and out the hatch. I giggled to think that he got home and saw that about 1 ft had been eaten off by the pavement as he went over bumps and it ground into the pavement.
It sounds like another vote for a SUV, pickup or other utility vehicle. I am all for going out and having new experiences. I prefer to start my adventures where the asphalt ends. Whether its out on a lake paddling around trying to snag a trout, on a trail heading to the top of a mountain, or seeing where the trail leads. That is my idea of a good time and a great way to spend some free time.

At my job, I seem to be the one who takes care of the small projects and stuff that needs fixing, hauled away, built. That is in addition to the other duties I am responsible for.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 AM

At the end of the day, there are just as many arguments FOR a pickup truck as there are against it. Trying to validate a claim by assuming people don't need one just won't work.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,080,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Standard internal OOO message:

"I will be out of the office and unreachable from <date> returning to the office on <date>. I will have no access to any communications whatsoever. Unless you are within 4 miles of our campground CB radios will be useless, Carrier Pigeons may be considered a snack for the dog and message by trained squirrel will more than likely end up as pets for my daughter. Please contact <backup engineer> in case of emergencies."

Typically we drive into the forest until we get no bars on the phones and then set up camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive