Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That "stuff" enables a family to spend time together instead of gazing zombie-like into their smart phones. Not everyone considers "quality family time" to be a simple walk in the park or going to a restaurant. I, for one, value the time spent with my growing children and provide them life experiences that they will hopefully remember and do the same with their children. Not only that but passing down outdoors and survival skills that most "city kids" will never know how to do unless they can find a video on YouTube to tell them how.
All very true, but when someone decides to engage lots of activities that require this kind of "stuff," they need to do it with their eyes wide open regarding the total cost of engaging in these activities rather than pissing and moaning about it later. I believe that's the point everwinter was tyring to make, not that people shouldn't do these things at all.

I myself have had horses for 25 years. I wouldn't trade some of my experiences hauling them around the country and riding for anything, but there is a significant ongoing expense involved that I understand and accept. If I can't afford to go to a trail ride because the tank on the truck is empty and gas is spiking, I don't clean out my bank account to go anyway then complain about the cost; I just accept it and stay home.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
I think that conversation should be separate from why people should or shouldn't own a truck. I don't know many folks who go out and buy a lot of toys just because they have a truck. At least for us, when choosing a hobby we decide if it's something we want to do, and then if it requires a truck we know that won't be an issue. If we didn't have one, we just don't get into that hobby. We definitely wouldn't go buy a truck just to do it.

But people complaining over having all these toys don't sound like they can prepare or stick to a budget very well, which is probably a conversation in one of the other forums here.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
All very true, but when someone decides to engage lots of activities that require this kind of "stuff," they need to do it with their eyes wide open regarding the total cost of engaging in these activities rather than pissing and moaning about it later. I believe that's the point everwinter was tyring to make, not that people shouldn't do these things at all.

I myself have had horses for 25 years. I wouldn't trade some of my experiences hauling them around the country and riding for anything, but there is a significant ongoing expense involved that I understand and accept. If I can't afford to go to a trail ride because the tank on the truck is empty and gas is spiking, I don't clean out my bank account to go anyway then complain about the cost; I just accept it and stay home.
True...but in my experience I haven't heard anyone "pissing and moaning" about the understood costs of these activities. Granted that may be the point to his post and from his viewpoint. ATVs, Boats etc. all cost money for fuel and maintenance and I guess some people get caught off guard with the sunk costs of owning recreational "toys". Probably why you see so many on craigslist

Old 05-30-2014, 11:16 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Yep. Been here since 2001.
How much time do ya have left?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Not sure what you mean?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,100,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
phlinak, I think you are suffering from smug pollution.
I think you are suffering from cranial-rectum insertion.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Guess you have never been in the woods or deserts then, there are no hotels where there are no roads
When I'm ready to get busy, the woods and the deserts are not where I'm heading, thank you very much.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
How much time do ya have left?

Ha just figured it out. I'm in Alabama, not Huntsville Texas.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

This is the point that I've been trying to make and that many of you are failing to see or failing to acknowledge because you view everything I say as a personal attack against you.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
This is the point that I've been trying to make and that many of you are failing to see or failing to acknowledge because you view everything I say as a personal attack against you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I think that conversation should be separate from why people should or shouldn't own a truck. I don't know many folks who go out and buy a lot of toys just because they have a truck. At least for us, when choosing a hobby we decide if it's something we want to do, and then if it requires a truck we know that won't be an issue. If we didn't have one, we just don't get into that hobby. We definitely wouldn't go buy a truck just to do it.

But people complaining over having all these toys don't sound like they can prepare or stick to a budget very well, which is probably a conversation in one of the other forums here.
And to be fair here philinak, you specifically were asking me how much my truck cost, maintenance cost, etc.... Assuming that the cost of ownership and maintenance on my truck were more than a Prius or <insert your car of choice here>. That has absolutely nothing to do with people and their expensive hobbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.