Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Going back to the OP and the questions on trim, options, etc. Every dealer I looked at had that on-line. In fact, each vehicle had a link that took you to the window sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
A couple years ago I was in the market for a 40mpg range commuter car and read up on all of them on the internet. I also drove around looking at them and reading window stickers. Then I started inquiring about price and availability by e-mail. I wanted base line with auto----No more.
I made the mistake of giving my real number to several and it didn't take long for the calls to come in. My decision ultimately turned to a base fiesta sedan. Then came the calls stating they had this or that with all these options and when should I come in for a test drive. I even got a call from a dealer after I stopped by inquiring about a base model they had in stock, which of course was just sold, only to get a call stating that they just got a trade in of a perfect low mileage small SUV with 4wheel drive?????? and the idiot got upset when I said I wasn't interested and that the SUV wasn't even close to what I asked about. Where do they get these idiots.

I bought a fiesta from the dealer who answered my initial e-mail with price and in stock. Simple really. 2 simple questions where the dealer who answered got the sale.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:27 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
I did a lot of those ride and drive events at the car show. Luckily I gave my decoy email cause I probably have a thousand messages lol

Old 02-13-2014, 01:51 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Salespeople don't get paid unless they make a sale, so they will exhaust every lead until they make a sale. If they keep calling, just politely tell them you bought another car and they will stop since it will just be a waste of time for them.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
I've been in the market for a car since this time last year. So I finally narrow down what I want (and I knew it all along really) 2012 or newer Black Sonata with Power Seats, preferably in the SE trim. I test drove one of these and I feel it's the best fit I've found thus far.

Anyway, I've over the past two weeks I've been seriously looking for this car at the right price, right miles, and in good condition. I prefer email initially and I send inquiries asking for simple info. What trim is this (many don't say), Does it have power seats, does it include a spare tire, do you have the car I'm looking for (if it's a Hyundai dealer)...They all ask for my phone number. If I do give it, all they want to do is make an appointment. They won't tell me anything.

Has anyone had luck actually negotiating or getting info through the email? Is it just dealers around me stuck on having you come in? Even the "internet sales" department isn't helping me without seeing me face to face. Funny I'm just as frustrated now as I was months ago with the car buying process.
ask for their home phone #

call them at 3am and ask if they want to buy a mule

Old 02-13-2014, 02:08 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Decoy emails, prepaid decoy phones and prepaid credit cards. These are the ways to be able to give out info and just walk away if your not interested, without having to worry about someone hounding you or making "accidental" unauthorized charges.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Its a little more tricky with a used vehicle, but generally speaking, you identify the exact car you want, and the exact price you wish to pay, and you present the deal. no muss; no fuss; no 'negotiating' with a car salesman!

Of course they want your phone number, and of course they want you to come down to the dealer so they can blow smoke up your butt. A lot of people get fooled into thinking that you have to 'be nice' to someone who just became your best friend , and car sales people take advantage of that by getting you in front of them and making nicey nice.

Don't fall for it. They are entitled to make a decent living, but that doesn't make them your "friend", or someone who is likely to be looking out for you!

Old 02-13-2014, 02:26 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
I somewhat understand not wanting to do the entire deal online. Before I commit my time and efforts to coming to the dealer (which is already stressful), they could at least tell me simple info about the car. I do not even mention price. I'm just trying to see if they even have what I am wanting.
To be fair you can find out what you want to know by going on their website.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 PM

60 posts, read 289,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
To be fair you can find out what you want to know by going on their website.
Not in these particular cases. Hence why I asked. If it was listed on the site I wouldn't bother asking. I've shown up at dealerships and have been surprised by a car missing an option I was wanting (ie a Limited sonata with manual seats or an SE with no Push Start button). If they can spend 5 minutes trying to make me come in they can spend a couple less just answering the question I inquired about. They're not doing me a favor.

My issue is not that hey call me. It's that they call me and won't listen to what I have to say or answer any of my questions.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
I bought a car two months ago without ever talking to anyone via phone about the car. I did have to talk to them about payment via phone but it was much easier that way. I just dealt with the email salesman, title person, everyone email, they all said email was easier. The other places I emailed about other cars called me non stop, I'd eventually answer and say I bought another car but thank you....all calls stopped then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive