Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The BRZ or the Focus
BRZ 13 61.90%
Focus 8 38.10%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Just pick up a used sports car, your insurance, maintenance, and gas will keep you poor at 19. Good luck.

jeez you guys are boring. If the kid has the money, NOW is the time to use it on a car! If not now, when? When hes married with kids?

Insurance wise, call a broker NOT an agent for quotes. Brokers can sell a bunch of different companies and agents are assigned to one company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 03:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
For myself? I'd get the BRZ. I'd also get it manual, even if you've never driven one before; I learned to drive manual by buying a manual and having to figure out how to get it home. It may take a few days or a week to get used to it but after you do, it's great.

The Focus is more practical, definitely, and the insurance is going to be much more affordable; they're still fun cars, I just err on the side of RWD at all costs. But I can see where for the vast bulk of people, it'd be a better choice... also, when you're young and you want to go out with all your friends, it's sort of a downer having a 2-seater. I got my S2000 at 23 and that was the main thing I missed about the Jetta VR6 I had before it.

The insurance is going to be a big issue, though... I'm the last dullard who's going to tell you to drive a Sebring and save for a down payment on a house when you haven't even finished school yet or figured out what you want to do with your life and where you want to do it - and at 19, you probably don't know, even if you think you do - but I ended up in a situation where I had a $400/mo car payment and no one would insure me for less than $250/mo because I was 20, lived in CA and had a speeding ticket. When I first got the car, it was fine because I had a well-paying job, but then the economy tanked and I found myself out $650 per month for my car, and out $800 for my apartment and no job, so it ate into my savings and took me years to recuperate them. I really wished I would have just gotten a used Prelude or another Jetta at that point, and had a $200/mo car note and a $150/mo insurance payment.

But, I know you can get good deals on financing a Ford now, and the insurance for a 4-door hatch are generally lower... so it may be the most sensible thing for you to do, now. Heed my advice and get a stick... then you can get the ST and have the best of both worlds!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post

If I wanted to go with the Focus, would a 2012 Focus hatch be better?
Seems like the only used ones are the 2013 models, and yes it would be a better choice, cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
jeez you guys are boring. If the kid has the money, NOW is the time to use it on a car! If not now, when? When hes married with kids?

Boring...

More like Realistic.

There are plenty of used vehicles that are way cheaper, potentially better than either the Focus ST or the BRZ. If you like the BRZ look to the Nissan 350Z, you can snatch a used one for 16k with around 30-40k, it has way more speed and torque and is way better for the track than the BRZ will ever be.

If you want a hatchback alternative look to the Subaru WRX hatchback or Mazda 3 speed turbo, used.

Last edited by MJ7; 02-14-2014 at 05:21 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 07:04 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,158,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHardy View Post
Really appreciate the advice it man.
No worries. I work in the automotive industry, so if you have any other questions, holla.
Quote:
If I wanted to go with the Focus, would a 2012 Focus hatch be better?
I wouldn't think so, unless you could get a killer deal on it. Cars in the first year of a new generation are always a bit suspect. It's funny, if you sell a car a year after you buy it, you take the largest hit on depreciation in that first year, but used car dealers seem to think that doesn't apply to them. Case in point - we bought my mom's Civic for $17.5K in 2008, then, when my dad crashed it and we were looking for a replacement to show the insurance company, try as we might, we couldn't find one below $18K. Hondas do retain value much better than Fords, but I've seen one-year-old Focuses on dealer lots advertised for more than I could have bought a new one for (once incentives are factored in).

Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
is it just me or is there not one problem or issue with this report about the BRZ?
It's just you. There are vibration issues with the engine that Subaru is aware of but won't fix. Frustrates my friend to no end and made him consider taking the depreciation hit and selling the car not even a year after he bought it.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Unless he's planning on getting married and having kids in a year, he's got plenty of time to become a good driver and then buy a kick-ass car (assuming we're talking about the BRZ - if he wants the Focus, I think that's a perfectly acceptable first-timer's car). Buying a performance car as your first one is a dangerous proposition. Insurance rates for teenagers are high for a reason.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
For myself? I'd get the BRZ. I'd also get it manual, even if you've never driven one before; I learned to drive manual by buying a manual and having to figure out how to get it home. It may take a few days or a week to get used to it but after you do, it's great.
That's a decent enough idea provided you read the limited warranty on the gearbox really carefully. Damage to the clutch that can be attributed to inexperience/inevitable poor technique/abuse (even unintentional) might not be covered and clutches, while still less expensive than auto transmissions, are still not cheap to replace.
Quote:
I just err on the side of RWD at all costs.
Just out of curiosity - why? If it's for performance, I get it. Safety-wise, however, FWD is much better (to say nothing of AWD, but I didn't see an Impreza in the OP's consideration set, although I personally believe he should be looking at it vs. the Focus - not at the BRZ).
Quote:
The insurance is going to be a big issue, though... I'm the last dullard who's going to tell you to drive a Sebring and save for a down payment on a house when you haven't even finished school yet or figured out what you want to do with your life and where you want to do it - and at 19, you probably don't know, even if you think you do - but I ended up in a situation where I had a $400/mo car payment and no one would insure me for less than $250/mo because I was 20, lived in CA and had a speeding ticket. When I first got the car, it was fine because I had a well-paying job, but then the economy tanked and I found myself out $650 per month for my car, and out $800 for my apartment and no job, so it ate into my savings and took me years to recuperate them. I really wished I would have just gotten a used Prelude or another Jetta at that point, and had a $200/mo car note and a $150/mo insurance payment.
Sound advice. You don't even have to drive a Sebring in order to save money - there are plenty of affordable cars you can buy if you go the used car route that are practical, reliable and fun. I offer my first new car - a 2008 Impreza hatchback 5-speed (non-WRX) as Exhibit 1. Room for five, AWD, a decent hatch, simple and reliable, great resell value, not super-expensive to buy or insure - and it still had 170 hp (10 more than the Focus) to play with if the mood ever struck.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
A pink Cadillac. After all Bruce says its better than a Subaru

Old 02-14-2014, 10:03 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
I am really liking the new Mazda 3. It is sporty and has great lines, affordable and with most Mazdas it should be very reliable. I would say it has the flowing sports car look of the Subaru and the practicality of the Ford. Ultimately it is up to you but my money is on the Mazda.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I am really liking the new Mazda 3. It is sporty and has great lines, affordable and with most Mazdas it should be very reliable. I would say it has the flowing sports car look of the Subaru and the practicality of the Ford. Ultimately it is up to you but my money is on the Mazda.
Great point. Though I haven't driven the new one yet, I would bet even money that it handles as well as, if not better than the Focus. While I wouldn't go so far as to say it has BRZ's looks in any way, it does look good (certainly better than the clown-faced previous gen 3).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive