Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
When I bought my vehicle new I was offered an extended warranty for such & such price. I turned it down. When my new vehicle warranty period was about up then the extended warranty offers started coming in the mail and phone. I turned them down too. That was over 12 years ago and I haven't had the need yet for an extended warranty service. Good maintenance and not driving it to death keeps it healthy.
I've sold cars, electronics, and appliances, and extended warranties for all three. In my experience the vast majority of the time, a failure that is truly caused by a manufacturer's defect (which is all most warranties really cover) will happen during the factory warranty period. The only time I would ever recommend an extended warranty is with brand new technology that really doesn't have a track record yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've sold cars, electronics, and appliances, and extended warranties for all three. In my experience the vast majority of the time, a failure that is truly caused by a manufacturer's defect (which is all most warranties really cover) will happen during the factory warranty period. The only time I would ever recommend an extended warranty is with brand new technology that really doesn't have a track record yet.
In general I would agree that most extended warranties are not worth the money. However it seems that auto manufacturers are going out of their way to add "brand new technology that really doesn't have a track record"that make today's cars more expensive to repair, and more fragile.

When ABS controllers are a $1000 a pop, When AWD driveshafts have non-replaceable U-joints at $800 a pop, when to replace a ac/heater blower or core, the entire dashboard must be removed, when control arms have non-replaceable ball joints, when brake rotors must be replaced, not turned, when *everything* is controlled by a computer costing $$$ (gas pedal, fog lights, side windows, self-adjusting power seats), when everything has a sensor (rain, oil and coolant level, etc), $100 HID headlite bulbs.

And don't even get me started on all the "self-driving" features being added to new cars today.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:13 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
In general I would agree that most extended warranties are not worth the money. However it seems that auto manufacturers are going out of their way to add "brand new technology that really doesn't have a track record"that make today's cars more expensive to repair, and more fragile.

When ABS controllers are a $1000 a pop, When AWD driveshafts have non-replaceable U-joints at $800 a pop, when to replace a ac/heater blower or core, the entire dashboard must be removed, when control arms have non-replaceable ball joints, when brake rotors must be replaced, not turned, when *everything* is controlled by a computer costing $$$ (gas pedal, fog lights, side windows, self-adjusting power seats), when everything has a sensor (rain, oil and coolant level, etc), $100 HID headlite bulbs.

And don't even get me started on all the "self-driving" features being added to new cars today.
That's the problem. The cost to get these cars fixed. New technology with CVT (transmission), computer chips, simple little sensors, ect..... These repairs can cost hundreds if not a thousands (transmission).

Old 09-14-2016, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 953 times
I purchased a car October 4th 2014 and the car was totaled out October 19th 2014 and it was paid off through my insurance company and I had no idea that I still had my warranty on the car my gap insurance and now I'm just now finding out a month ago that I still have warranty on your car are there supposed to reimburse me for the time the car was totaled or just a list of money

Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashunda87 View Post
I purchased a car October 4th 2014 and the car was totaled out October 19th 2014 and it was paid off through my insurance company and I had no idea that I still had my warranty on the car my gap insurance and now I'm just now finding out a month ago that I still have warranty on your car are there supposed to reimburse me for the time the car was totaled or just a list of money
At the time you could of probably contacted the warranty company, cancelled the policy and gotten any pro-rated amount back, but since you didn't do that it is probably too late. You can always check. Worth a call at least.

Old 10-12-2023, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 205 times
Default car warranty help

Does anyone have a recommendation on whether Olive or Toco is the better option for an extended car warranty plan? Trusted reviews rated Olive as best rated extended car warranty, but I'm seeing a lot of bbb complaints about them, too. Source: https://trustedcompanyreviews.com/top-companies/best-extended-car-warranty/"

Last edited by paulie23; 10-12-2023 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: messed up a word

Old 10-13-2023, 06:14 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
This thread is more than 10 years old.I'd start a new thread if I were you.

You'd be surprised how many people only read the OP or first page and post...when the topic has long since moved on.

Your question is a good one. it deserves to be noticed so you can get some answers.
Tucking a new topic -- even if it's sort of related -- doesn't often work too well.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:49 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
I had one on a Mercedes I had and when I sold it I was paid back the pro-rated amount.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:35 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashunda87 View Post
Can you clarify, are you talking about some extra extended warranty/service plan you purchased from the dealer or the standard manufacture's warranty that comes with the vehicle?

If it's the standard manufacture's warranty on that vehicle, that is just a feature of the vehicle and you get butkus back if the car is totaled.
If it's some additional warranty/service plan you purchased from the dealer or online, state laws will determine how much of a pro rated refund you get back.

GAP Insurance is handled like any other "insurance". When it doesn't apply, you notify them and they determine if you paid premiums for any period no longer in force. Odds are, they may say the premium covers the GAP regardless of how quickly it paid out. Some GAP policies are annual so a single premium covers the entire year be it paid out on day 1 or day 364.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:30 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie23 View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on whether Olive or Toco is the better option for an extended car warranty plan? Trusted reviews rated Olive as best rated extended car warranty, but I'm seeing a lot of bbb complaints about them, too. Source: https://trustedcompanyreviews.com/top-companies/best-extended-car-warranty/"
None.

Trusted Company Reviews describes itself as:
Quote:
TrustedCompanyReviews.com (TCR) is a free online resource aimed at helping consumers compare leading products, services, and companies. TCR accepts advertising compensation from companies that we review and feature on our site, which impacts the location and order in which products, services and companies are presented, and also impacts the score that is assigned to it. Company listings on this page DO NOT imply endorsement. TCR does not feature all providers on the market. Except as expressly set forth in our Terms of Use, all representations and warranties regarding the information presented on this page are disclaimed. The information, including pricing, that appears on this site is subject to change at any time.
They provide paid for reviews for anyone who pays for them. Pay get a review. Pay more, get a higher review. Same as everyone else does in that space. Reconcile the paid reviews which the companies buy and pay for with say Yelp or Trustpilot user reviews. The truth is somewhere in the middle. As a general rule of thumb, people are about ten times more likely to go salty on the internet about a bad experience than they are to write a review about a positive one. But that's true across the board and lots of businesses don't have all those negative reviews.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/carchex-cockeysville-2
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/carchex.com

Factory extended warranty is the only thing I'd bother. If you're Doug Demuro with a massive audience the Carmax warranty isn't too bad. If you're Joe Schmoe I really doubt you'd get the same treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive