Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,029 times

Advertisements

My 2013 Nissan Altima was just totaled in an accident. I have an extended warranty. Will I be reimbursed (pro-rated) for my warranty? The car is just over a year old.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
Talk to your insurance adjuster.
The extended warranty covers the engine, driveline,etc,,,. They did not fail did they? No fault of their own I assume.
Hopefully you have GAP insurance to cover the difference between value and loan payoff.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Yikes, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

You would have to read the fine print, but normally, especially if an extended factory warranty, yes, they will refund the pro-rated difference. They would most likely make out the check to the lender, however (if not paid off) if it was folded into the loan.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:52 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Take a look at Nissan's FAQ's here. https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/faq
Select the "Service Plans" tab. There are 2 FAQs depending on what specific plan you have

Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
My 2013 Nissan Altima was just totaled in an accident. I have an extended warranty. Will I be reimbursed (pro-rated) for my warranty? The car is just over a year old.

Thanks!
Hmmm...I am a little confused. You have a manufacturer's extended warranty for the car, and also an automobile insurance with one of the majors insurers (Allstate, State Farms, etc.). Right?

In the case of the manufacturers extended warranty: most manufacturers will give you a refund for the days months or years that remain in the extended warrant. For example, I had an extended warranty on a 2009 Forester. Subaru sent me a refund, upon my request, for a period of two years I had left on the extended warranty when I traded the car for another.

The automobile insurance has nothing to do with the extended warranty. And yes, the insurance will prorate your car accordingly. If you had anything that increased the value of your car installed (wheels, stereo head unit, and so forth), make sure you tell the insurance company.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-22-2014 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Quote:

Thanks!
You can have the vehicle service contract(VSC) cancelled effective the date of the loss.
The refund will be sent to the lienholder unless you provide verification that the lien is paid in full, which I assume since it's a 2013, it is not.
You'll have to get paperwork to show the date of the loss, and probably complete a cancellation request.

Who is the VSC company you are with?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:16 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
You can have the vehicle service contract(VSC) cancelled effective the date of the loss.
The refund will be sent to the lienholder unless you provide verification that the lien is paid in full, which I assume since it's a 2013, it is not.
You'll have to get paperwork to show the date of the loss, and probably complete a cancellation request.

Who is the VSC company you are with?
The extended warranty is directly from Nissan. I do have a loan. I bought the car with no money down. I am waiting to see what my payout will be. According to various web sites, my car is worth about 25k+/-, that's almost exactly what I owe on it. I paid about 32k with taxes, extended warrenty, ect....

My insurance policy says they pay out current market value.

First time in my life I wished I leased! LOL

Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Interesting question, Spanky . . .

An Extended Warranty usually doesn't "kick-in" until after the original factory warrant has lapsed. Since your Nissan is a 2013, I believe the original factory warranty is still in force so your optional extended warranty should be fully refunded, not pro-rated.

Considering your misfortune, sounds like you deserve a little Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
If you paid for the extended warranty yourself out of pocket up front then you would, depending on what your contract says, get reimbursed. If it was financed, then the loan company would benefit since it didn't come out of your pocket.
Leasing, you'd still be responsible for the damage.
You should be able to read your contract stipulations and get advice from your insurance agent/company.
Bummer is correct, your extended warranty wouldn't kick in until the original warranty expires.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:46 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Quote:
The extended warranty is directly from Nissan. I do have a loan. I bought the car with no money down. I am waiting to see what my payout will be. According to various web sites, my car is worth about 25k+/-, that's almost exactly what I owe on it. I paid about 32k with taxes, extended warrenty, ect....

My insurance policy says they pay out current market value.

First time in my life I wished I leased! LOL
Your policy booklet might say to have the selling dealer make the cancellation request, but that sometimes takes forever, as they are a middle man. Also the dealer is usually not the most reliable people to do something for you unless you're buying something from them. Just get the cancellation request form from the finance manager at the dealer.
The link that reed303 posted is on point. The second question under Service Plans gives you the correct address to send the cancellation request to.
Questions can be made to Nissan Consumer Affairs ( 1-800-647-7261) but they're going to tell you the same thing to either go to the dealer or send it to that address.

When did the loss happen, is everything resolved yet? Chances are, if your loan is not paid in full from the insurance and you have no GAP, then your lienholder may already be initiating a cancellation request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting question, Spanky . . .

An Extended Warranty usually doesn't "kick-in" until after the original factory warrant has lapsed. Since your Nissan is a 2013, I believe the original factory warranty is still in force so your optional extended warranty should be fully refunded, not pro-rated.

Considering your misfortune, sounds like you deserve a little Good Luck.
Incorrect. The service contract is in effect the day you buy it. Whether or not it covers anything due to manufacturer warranty being active is a different story.
The refund will only be 100% if it is within the first 60 days and no claims filed. After that it is calculated pro rata from the effective date/miles which are stated in the booklet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive