Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Yeah, 'cause your one experience trumps millions of other postive experiences.

If one unreliable example was all it took, there would be no manufacturers left to like, as they ALL have had their share of turds. I've had bad Hondas and Toyotas. And completely reliable Fords and GMs (including my current Volt).

Gotta love people that can admit that they are closed minded. Makes it so much easier to know who to completely ignore.
I just read this and have owned nothing but reliable Hondas and a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 160,000 problem free miles. What were the makes and years of your Hondas and Toyotas? Based upon my experiences, you have got to be making this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Less than 20% of them. The bulk are still producedin Mexico. Youd have to really look to make sure you get an American built one.
This is true. Point is, you can. Although I don't understand people's fears of Mexican-built cars. If it's cheaper to build vehicles to comparable standards in Mexico, all it means is more profit for a domestic company (money stays here, gets reinvested in the American economy).

Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I just read this and have owned nothing but reliable Hondas and a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 160,000 problem free miles. What were the makes and years of your Hondas and Toyotas? Based upon my experiences, you have got to be making this up.
Not 100% of any vehicles will be reliable. My family has owned a Toyota and a Mazda (though the latter was pretty much a re-skinned Ford Contour) which were incredibly unreliable, but on the whole the Japanese cars hold up significantly better than their American counterparts.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM

Since this thread is about GM, feels appropriate to just leave this here...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times
Just read a Consumer Reports Auto Review magazine for any given year. American-made cars have poor reliability and Japanese cars have much better reliability. It's been that way for years. Why? Unions? Poor design and build quality? Poor management?

...and we celebrate how the bailouts worked? How funny. I'm glad some industries are "more equal" than others. I'm an ex Health Insurance broker - who bailed me out after my practice went to the birds due to the new Government/Health Insurance company complex?

The Government should never be in the bailout industry. We have bankruptcy laws for that. But hey, when you have large lobbying powers (like Unions) and bought and sold politicians, you get "more equal" protections for some industries at the expense of the tax payer.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
You know you've found a good thread when people start accusing others of not "being patriotic" because they don't choose to buy mediocre automobiles.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:33 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Do you support hippies spitting on soldiers returning from Vietnam? No different than you buying foreign products when an equal American made product is available? We need more local, and American support now more than ever, and especially in high poverty per capita states like Texas being #4 in the nation. Excuse me for supporting Americans? Really?

It's not unAmerican to not buy American made cars when their quality usually isnt up to other manufacturers, namely Japanese, standards. Ford is the only American car maker with semi fun/good cars, such as the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and Mustang. Other than that, I'll take my WRX wagon any day(and would choose over those 3 I mentioned).

Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times
The American way is buying the best value. The Japanese have been providing superior value in automobiles for awhile now. When American car makers begin to make something that will rate well past one year in reliability, then I'll consider it.

What's UnAmerican is bailing out a company or companies when bankruptcy is available. That's not what our Government is suppose to do. Capitalism rewards those who plan ahead and build better products.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
It's not unAmerican to not buy American made cars when their quality usually isnt up to other manufacturers, namely Japanese, standards. Ford is the only American car maker with semi fun/good cars, such as the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, and Mustang. Other than that, I'll take my WRX wagon any day(and would choose over those 3 I mentioned).
Speaking of which, just sold my Focus ST. Only regret (apart from probably having to drive an SUV for the next year and a half or so on a new work assignment) - that it wasn't AWD. Otherwise it was a flippin' blast.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Dang my itchy trigger-finger!

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-06-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive