Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2014, 06:11 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The Bush bailouts worked.
The Worlds Largest Automaker is
Was.

It isn't 2008. Toyota was for 2012. Not sure about 2013.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,509,504 times
This is my first, and only, post in this thread. I've been teaching, facilitating and consulting in the Quality arena since 1989, so I do happen to know my hat from third base in this arena.

Ford Motor Company is the ONLY American auto manufacturer that has actually been paying careful attention since that time in the late 1980s when Japanese vehicles dang-near took over the world. I could provide entire reams of documentation to support this. In the interest of brevity I will not. But you know they exist, and you know I have them.

So, I was not at all surprised that Ford was the only American car manufacturer that DID NOT participate in "Bush's Bailout"; they only took a short-term loan that they promised to quickly repay. And you know what? They actually DID!!!

WARNING!!! INCOMING PERSONAL OPINION!!!

Unless things radically change over the long-term, I will NEVER purchase a General Motors or Chrysler Corporation vehicle. In my decidedly personal experience (backed up, I must add, by a lot of hard data), GM and Chrysler may have (finally!) learned how to Talk the Talk. However, they have never demonstrated any long-term ability to Walk the Walk. Consider that GM's Cadillac Division actually WON the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award, but in the next three years amassed a TERRIBLE customer quality rating! ("Whew! We won, so now we can go back to doing things the REAL way...")

Case in point: Here, in March of 2014, my personal vehicle is a 1998 Ford Explorer. I have maintained it as the Owner's Manual suggests and, so far, have incurred no significant issues. As of right now my Explorer has logged over 233,000 miles, and it is going just as strong as the day I first drove it off the dealer's lot. All around me, my neighbors have gone through two, or three (and sometimes four) non-Ford vehicles. Their chief complaints have been long-term quality issues. Yes, this includes several GM products.

My point is simple. The day-to-day, or month-to-month, stats mean very little. GM may be on top NOW -- TODAY -- RIGHT THIS INSTANT -- but this has absolutely no bearing on the long haul.

(Take particular note of the fact that I never even mentioned the better European or Japanese product-lines...)

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 03-06-2014 at 06:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
I support any car company capable of building a reliable affordable car that meets my needs. GM does not do so. Buying crappy cars from GM with high costs of negotiated benefits they can not afford today is not the long term solution. Doing so means delaying their bail out.. oh wait that already happened.

Once I saw union workers laid off due to low demand by US car companies who were sitting in a room doing nothing because of union rules. I knew GM was not the company with a cost structure that worries about me..the customer

Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
This is my first, and only, post in this thread. I've been teaching, facilitating and consulting in the Quality arena since 1989, so I do happen to know my hat from third base in this arena.

Ford Motor Company is the ONLY American auto manufacturer that has actually been paying careful attention since that time in the late 1980s when Japanese vehicles dang-near took over the world. I could provide entire reams of documentation to support this. In the interest of brevity I will not. But you know they exist, and you know I have them.

So, I was not at all surprised that Ford was the only American car manufacturer that DID NOT participate in "Bush's Bailout"; they only took a short-term loan that they promised to quickly repay. And you know what? They actually DID!!!

WARNING!!! INCOMING PERSONAL OPINION!!!

Unless things radically change over the long-term, I will NEVER purchase a General Motors or Chrysler Corporation vehicle. In my decidedly personal experience (backed up, I must add, by a lot of hard data), GM and Chrysler may have (finally!) learned how to Talk the Talk. However, they have never demonstrated any long-term ability to Walk the Walk. Consider that GM's Cadillac Division actually WON the Malcolm Baldridge National Quality Award, but in the next three years amassed a TERRIBLE customer quality rating! ("Whew! We won, so now we can go back to doing things the REAL way...")

Case in point: Here, in March of 2014, my personal vehicle is a 1998 Ford Explorer. I have maintained it as the Owner's Manual suggests and, so far, have incurred no significant issues. As of right now my Explorer has logged over 233,000 miles, and it is going just as strong as the day I first drove it off the dealer's lot. All around me, my neighbors have gone through two, or three (and sometimes four) non-Ford vehicles. Their chief complaints have been long-term quality issues. Yes, this includes several GM products.

My point is simple. The day-to-day, or month-to-month, stats mean very little. GM may be on top NOW -- TODAY -- RIGHT THIS INSTANT -- but this has absolutely no bearing on the long haul.

(Take particular note of the fact that I never even mentioned the better European or Japanese product-lines...)

-- Nighteyes
This does not apply, because it is not in line with typical regurgitate GOP mantra. You failed to bash unions, Americans, and claim all vehicles are just pure garbage. Without the proper handbook you'll just be another outsider who's capable of independent thought. Amazing. You also didn't place fabricated labels upon other in order to attempt a position of superiority. How dare you make sense!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Thank goodness you have this choice. our economy and Canada are really closely tied together. I think the Camaro is made there, but the engines are in Tonawanda.

Foreign manufacturers providing jobs here is great, because at least some of the money stays here. However, there's many models made right here that can be purchased that keeps all the money here.
There is not one vehicle "made" in the US that keeps all the money here.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Was.

It isn't 2008. Toyota was for 2012. Not sure about 2013.
We've already beat this horse to death. He hasn't acknowledged that the very premise of the thread is faulty, so we've resorted to other banter.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
We've already beat this horse to death. He hasn't acknowledged that the very premise of the thread is faulty, so we've resorted to other banter.
And you are the master banter.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
No.. in 2008 he was. Not anymore. Thats another thing that changed while you were in your 5-6 year coma.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I believe that was an attempt at a joke!

(granted, it comes with the same limited command of the English language as demonstrated before, considering "banter" cannot refer to a person, but at least it's something...there may be hope yet)

Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
you know you've found a good thread when people start accusing others of not "being patriotic" because they don't choose to buy mediocre automobiles.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive