Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Not quite the same as GM engineers finding the problem in 2004 and then leaving it essentially uncorrected for ten years even though people were being killed. I don't care much for Toyota either but their issues were generally caused by poor drivers in conjuction with a media witch hunt.
Yeah, 6.5 million recalls due to bad drivers from 2004 to 2010. I'm sure you're correct.

Toyota Recall | Toyota Acceleration Lawsuits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM

415 posts, read 764,177 times
O God, what a joke...go back to sleep...

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
GM bond holders were made up of unions and investors. The unions got a higher % of their bond value back then investors did. Treating unions more favorably than investors is a bailout for unions. Union member jobs were saved more than investors who own the company. The union bailout was by BO not Bush, BO structured the bailout deal to favor union investment over regular investors.

My comments are responsive to OP's claim about GM being number 1. Those who claim GM quality is good now, should thank the Asia car markers who forced them to follow their lead on quality or be even more irrelavant and go bankrupt where even the US gov might not afford bailing them out.

Wrong again John.

On December 19, George W. Bush announced that he had approved the bailout plan, which would give loans of $17.4 billion to U.S. automakers GM and Chrysler, stating that under present economic conditions, "allowing the U.S. auto industry to collapse is not a responsible course of action."Bush provided $13.4 billion now, with another $4 billion available in February 2009. Funds would be made available from the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. General Motors would get $9.4 billion, and Chrysler $4 billion.

Effects of the 2008

You're also confusing the federal court bankruptcy negotiations with the bailout. In Federal court the Delpi non-union management got their pensions severely reduced.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
The Bush bailouts worked.
The Worlds Largest Automaker is
Meh..

That's bogus.
GM woke up one morning and all their debts were gone. Vanished! All those debts were wiped out!
Not only that, but their cash register was completely full!

So now they had a completely developed production facility; no debt; the U.S. government as a customer; and plenty of working capital. Ain't life grand??!!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Meh..

That's bogus.
GM woke up one morning and all their debts were gone. Vanished! All those debts were wiped out!
Not only that, but their cash register was completely full!

So now they had a completely developed production facility; no debt; the U.S. government as a customer; and plenty of working capital. Ain't life grand??!!
And it only cost the taxpayer several billion, so the GM executives could absolve their debt, and continue their lavish lifestyles. What surprised me was Paul Ryan voted for it.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You have a distorted view of GM and Chrysler's problems. If the problem was the banking industry every carmaker would have suffered.

They all did suffer. Ford rolled the dice early, mortgaged everything they had, and got credit early (and still took DOE handouts). other manufacturers started looking for partnerships. Foreign brands were propped up by THEIR governments.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,536,738 times
The real topic should be why the Japanese have gotten cheap and are now starting to cut corners.

Last edited by hitman619; 02-25-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM

299 posts, read 556,596 times
Default Yeah, this is the truth ....

I'm not saying GM or Chrysler haven't managed to turn things around, post-bailout. IMO, GM definitely has and Chrysler? Well, the buyout by Fiat will probably result in some improvements in some areas, and failure in others -- but it could survive as a car maker that's "competitive".

The point is, if we just let them fail as they deserved to do, the nonsense about "America wouldn't have any auto makers anymore!" is already disproved by up-and-comers like Tesla Motors.

In the short term, people who already bought GM or Chrysler vehicles would whine and complain since their precious warranty coverage would be called into question. And obviously the people who lost jobs there would whine and complain for a while (until they got a similar job with one of the companies that would appear to fill in the void). But the "Big 3" amount to entrenched and outdated thinking about automobile production anyway. (Even Ford, who bragged regularly about not accepting any bailouts, was right behind the others, working back room deals to ensure they got one too if things didn't pan out for them a few months down the road.)

IMO, we'd be stronger as a nation if we left them to fend for themselves and gave new, innovative auto-makers a better chance at taking over the top spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
GM should never have been rescued. Same with Chrysler - both times. The US told the auto industry: "It is ok to suck and make poor quality vehicles for decades. No need to worry about over spending on labor and employing bad management. We'll save you if you need it."

Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
But this doesn't mean GM is the BEST. They already burned their bridge with me by building unreliable garbage, but that's just my experience and I'm only one in 7+ billion so what's it matter.
They burned their bridge with me when they stupidly and shortsightedly dismantled and destroyed their best division - Saturn.

If they had left Saturn alone and let it stay independent and autonomous, like it was in the good old "Saturn Homecoming" days, many of us would have been Saturn owners for life.

Instead, they messed with success and allowed the jealousy and pettiness of the older divisions (namely, GM and Chevrolet) to control the argument and dictate the decision-making and they drove us (at least tens of thousands of us) into the arms of other automakers.

Personally, I have said goodbye to GM and hello to Subaru.

IMHO, it's what Saturn could have been.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Yeah, 'cause your one experience trumps millions of other postive experiences.

If one unreliable example was all it took, there would be no manufacturers left to like, as they ALL have had their share of turds. I've had bad Hondas and Toyotas. And completely reliable Fords and GMs (including my current Volt).

Gotta love people that can admit that they are closed minded. Makes it so much easier to know who to completely ignore.
I never said my experience "trumps" anyone elses. Just that since I had 3 bad apples I learned from it and wont buy another. It's common sense, you don't keep buying the same brand if it's been unreliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive