Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
Come on...Open your eyes next time your are out driving: How many old American cars do you see on the road and how many Japanese?

Where are all the classic Japanese cars of the 60`s and 70`s ??

Don`t think I`ve even seen a Japanese car older than a 92 model....but I do see older American vehicles all the time. Every weekend I see classic Camaro`s, Mustang`s, Challenger`s or Cadillac`s. Not one Datsun or Toyota - and don`t tell me they weren`t selling back then - because they were selling like hotcakes.
You don't get out much then. There's still a lot of 70's Japanese cars on the road (I see old 70's Datsuns plenty) and tons of 80's Hondas and Toyotas. It's also not a fair comparison... they weren't sold here in large numbers really until the 80's, so of course you're going to see more domestic cars.

Before that, you won't find too many 60's cars because they were never imported here in large numbers. It wasn't until the late 70's/early 80's that Japanese cars became more prevalent, in response to the oil/gas crisis of the 70's. Consumers wanted smaller cars that were more fuel efficient, and they simply couldn't get them from American car companies. The Japanese came in to fill the gap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Heck, you guys are discussing which is the better, GM, Ford, Chrysler or the Japanese brands..

Come on...Open your eyes next time your are out driving: How many old American cars do you see on the road and how many Japanese?

Don`t think I`ve even seen a Japanese car older than a 92 model....but I do see older American vehicles all the time. Every weekend I see classic Camaro`s, Mustang`s, Challenger`s or Cadillac`s. Not one Datsun or Toyota - and don`t tell me they weren`t selling back then - because they were selling like hotcakes.

I even see Cadillac`s from the 90`s with the notorious Northstars running strong - and ton`s of old pick ups.
I see a ton of old Japanese cars around here and very few daily driven American classics. Just about every decent looking car from the 60's and 70's is on the road because someone spent the time to restore/replace significant portions of it. I'm not saying they aren't beautiful cars but you'd be a liar to say that some guy bought one new in 1967 and it looks immacualte today without needing a single thing replaced.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM

401 posts, read 534,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You don't get out much then. There's still a lot of 70's Japanese cars on the road (I see old 70's Datsuns plenty) and tons of 80's Hondas and Toyotas. It's also not a fair comparison... they weren't sold here in large numbers really until the 80's, so of course you're going to see more domestic cars.

Before that, you won't find too many 60's cars because they were never imported here in large numbers. It wasn't until the late 70's/early 80's that Japanese cars became more prevalent, in response to the oil/gas crisis of the 70's. Consumers wanted smaller cars that were more fuel efficient, and they simply couldn't get them from American car companies. The Japanese came in to fill the gap.

First time I was in California in the late 70`s every other car was an import..that changed further east you came. They must have been imported in large numbers on the West coast.

Anyway, I don`t expect too many enjoying classic Toyota Prius in 30 years...

Old 02-26-2014, 11:34 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
First time I was in California in the late 70`s every other car was an import..that changed further east you came. They must have been imported in large numbers on the West coast.

Anyway, I don`t expect too many enjoying classic Toyota Prius in 30 years...
You're probably right.

I also see you're in Port Charlotte. That's probably got a lot to do with the number of foreign cars you see, being practically the retirement capital of the world, most of the older population drive American cars.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Heck, you guys are discussing which is the better, GM, Ford, Chrysler or the Japanese brands..

I even see Cadillac`s from the 90`s with the notorious Northstars running strong - and ton`s of old pick ups.
I agree with the concept of this that most are America. As an EFI tuner I send GM programming to Western Europe, Australia, South America, and even once to Israel. They collect American cars everywhere.

That said, there's a guy in my neighborhood driving an old Datsun 4wd pickup from the 60's. Not much too look at, but sounds good.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:50 PM

600 posts, read 659,589 times
the Japanese were not the automotive powerhouses in the 50-70's. they were more like what Hyundai was in the 90's...

Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
the Japanese were not the automotive powerhouses in the 50-70's. they were more like what Hyundai was in the 90's...

Let's give kudos to the foreign manufacturers. VW brought the bug over in the late 40's that has generated its own cult following. Take a Summer drive down 395 in Eastern California and they'll probably be a Bus at every hot spring.

Toyota, and Datsun in the 60's followed by Honda. The cars were dependable, frugal, but not outstanding. The Toyota truck built a cult following by the late 70's that still exists today in the 4x4 scene (which I'm into a bit if you know what my username means). This took Ford, and Chevy by surprise, because it was magnified by the 73, and 79 gas crisis. Gm's first response the Vega was a joke, but Ford of Europe introduced the Capri, and went domestic with the Pinto. the pinto got a bad rap over fires that was finally found to be not true, but the damage was done.

Honestly, I think foreign was better in their niche market until this last decade. The Gm and Ford survived with American standard rear wheel drive vehicles. Recently, foreign has entered this market, and gained sales on their reputation from the little cars.

I do admire all cars, but I point out American advances because it seems there's a campaign to badmouth them. Drive a newer, or older 7.3 Ford F350 diesel and feel the power that huge beast has. If our fuel cost ever rise as high as Western Europe we may be forced to downsize, or it will become a natural trend.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The high cost of repair might be true with Audi’s, Mercedes and BMW, but your really grasping at straws if you think bread and butter Asian imports are expensive to repair
Not really. Job for job, Asian imports are, in general, more expensive to repair.

Quote:
It could be that domestics don’t hold resale value is why the poor and homeless drive them. I guess that goes back to my banana republic comment.
Regardless of who is driving them, they're still on the road. You can preach resale all you want, but the reality is that there are less of them on the road and Asian car owners tend to be a contingent of loyalists who will pay more for less.

Quote:
There’s also the issue of what’s your time worth. I have better things to do than work on an fun hating and unreliable car, sit on the side of the road etc.
Any used car will eventually qualify for the above statement. Buying new from any company will alleviate it.

Quote:
There’s also a reason why you can walk into any auto part store and find what you might think is the most obscure part for a domestic. It could be because that part is commonly broke.
Or, there are so many more of them on the road that the parts store is willing to stock it. It's hard to find to find a common store (Auto Zone, Advance, etc.) that stock brake pads for some Asian models. Are those obscure or is it that those Asian cars never need brake pads?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Not really. Job for job, Asian imports are, in general, more expensive to repair.

Regardless of who is driving them, they're still on the road. You can preach resale all you want, but the reality is that there are less of them on the road and Asian car owners tend to be a contingent of loyalists who will pay more for less.

Any used car will eventually qualify for the above statement. Buying new from any company will alleviate it.

Or, there are so many more of them on the road that the parts store is willing to stock it. It's hard to find to find a common store (Auto Zone, Advance, etc.) that stock brake pads for some Asian models. Are those obscure or is it that those Asian cars never need brake pads?
I agree, they brought front wheel drive with expensive half shaft replacement instead of a u joint. A transmission for a transverse is $3000 vs $1500 for rear wheel drive. Too me, old American designs require less service cost and a better life span of ownership at a slight increase in fuel consumption. This is why you will always see an older American design on the road long after the high cost of service imports.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I agree, they brought front wheel drive with expensive half shaft replacement instead of a u joint. A transmission for a transverse is $3000 vs $1500 for rear wheel drive. Too me, old American designs require less service cost and a better life span of ownership at a slight increase in fuel consumption. This is why you will always see an older American design on the road long after the high cost of service imports.
Here in Texas, I see many more old Accords than I see old Taurus or Impala or Caprice or any other similar vehicles. Those super-simple RWD American cars like a Cutlass are long gone. Yet Accords and Camrys with their transaxles still keep running.

Just look at prices of used cars. A 10 year old Taurus or Impala is worth almost nothing. They should pay people to take a Lumina or Avenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive