Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:37 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times

Advertisements

Okay, let me ask the dummy questions on a fairly anonymous forum so I don't have to feel too stupid... (and hopefully people will have enough knowledge, plus be decent enough, to answer the question or point me in the right direction...)

Mostly an "auto" guy but thinking I need a truck in the near future. Reason for this is I am thinking I have need to move belongings on a somewhat regular basis so I need the truck for hauling and ability to hook up a cargo trailer if I need to move extra stuff. If I was only doing this once in a great while I would stick with the U-Haul rental, but if more regularly that eventually becomes not very cost effective.

So, again, purpose is to haul a variety of goods either in the truck bed itself and/or attach a cargo trailer (at first probably a rental from U-Haul or similar so something like a 6' X 12', but eventually I would like to be able to hook up along the lines of a 7' X 16').

However, I'm uncertain how much truck do I really need, and what questions should I even be asking to make that decision? I don't want to get too expensive a truck with massive tow capacity if I don't need that much towing ability, but don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with a salesman and then find out I really needed something more than too basic of a truck.

I will be shopping for a used truck at this time, budget somewhere in the $13,000-15,000 range.

What terms should I be considering and asking myself to make a determination of how much truck do I need?
  • I've heard terms such as GVWR and maximum tongue load, but I need to get my arms more around specifics of those terms, plus any other relevant terms.
  • What considerations do I need to be thinking about on the hitch receiver?
  • Suspension?
  • How much engine will I need to tow a possibly filled cargo trailer?
  • Gas vs. diesel?
  • Mileage - in some ads, I see mileage (for my price range) sometimes running 150,000-200,000 miles. That would seem pretty high for a car, but what about a truck?
  • Is there a consideration I'm missing?
  • Am I over-analyzing?

Your thoughts welcome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 11:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
Okay, let me ask the dummy questions on a fairly anonymous forum so I don't have to feel too stupid... (and hopefully people will have enough knowledge, plus be decent enough, to answer the question or point me in the right direction...)
ok first there are no stupid questions, only stupid mistakes. so dont be afraid of asking questions no matter how stupid they may seem. only small minded people will insult you for trying to increase your knowledge of something you dont know.

Quote:
Mostly an "auto" guy but thinking I need a truck in the near future. Reason for this is I am thinking I have need to move belongings on a somewhat regular basis so I need the truck for hauling and ability to hook up a cargo trailer if I need to move extra stuff. If I was only doing this once in a great while I would stick with the U-Haul rental, but if more regularly that eventually becomes not very cost effective.

So, again, purpose is to haul a variety of goods either in the truck bed itself and/or attach a cargo trailer (at first probably a rental from U-Haul or similar so something like a 6' X 12', but eventually I would like to be able to hook up along the lines of a 7' X 16').

However, I'm uncertain how much truck do I really need, and what questions should I even be asking to make that decision? I don't want to get too expensive a truck with massive tow capacity if I don't need that much towing ability, but don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with a salesman and then find out I really needed something more than too basic of a truck.
selecting a truck is all about determining what your needs are. if you are hauling moderately heavy loads all the time, say 10,000lbs for instance, then a good 3/4 ton pick up works just fine as it is designed to handle that kind of load long term. if on the other hand that 10,000lb load is the max you will haul, and your average load will be closer to say 6000lbs, then a good 1/2 ton truck will do fine.

Quote:
I will be shopping for a used truck at this time, budget somewhere in the $13,000-15,000 range.

What terms should I be considering and asking myself to make a determination of how much truck do I need?
  • I've heard terms such as GVWR and maximum tongue load, but I need to get my arms more around specifics of those terms, plus any other relevant terms.
gvwr= gross vehicle weight rating. that is the total combined weight of the truck AND the payload, including passengers, fuel, etc. say for instance the truck you but has a gvwr of 15,000lbs, and the truck weighs in at 5000lbs. that means your net total cargo weight, again including passengers and fuel, is limited to a total of 10,000lbs.

• Quote:
    What considerations do I need to be thinking about on the hitch receiver?
you need to know the GTW, or gross trailer weight rating, and pick a receiver hitch accordingly. if the gtw is say 10,000lbs, then you need a class four(iirc check to be sure) rated hitch.

• Quote:
    Suspension?
that will be handled when you select the gvwr for the truck

• Quote:
    How much engine will I need to tow a possibly filled cargo trailer?
  • Gas vs. diesel?
again this depends on how much you plan on hauling, and how often. lighter loads for shorter periods of time means you can get away with smaller engines. but when you start to load up with heavier loads, you want the bigger engines available.

as to gas vs diesel, that is a personal choice. if i were going to be hauling heavy loads over long periods of time, i am looking for a diesel truck. the engines are more fuel efficient over all, and generally last longer, but they are more expensive to maintain. oil changes for instance are generally double to triple the price of a gas engine oil change. however there are offsets in fuel savings, and longevity.

• Quote:
    Mileage - in some ads, I see mileage (for my price range) sometimes running 150,000-200,000 miles. That would seem pretty high for a car, but what about a truck?
these days even with cars 200k isnt a big deal mileage wise. condition is far more important than mileage. and diesel engines can run well over 500k miles with proper maintenance.

• Quote:
    Is there a consideration I'm missing?
  • Am I over-analyzing?
remember that with any truck, the heavier duty the truck, the more expensive parts and maintenance are.

and since you lack knowledge of trucks, no you are not over analyzing.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Good question, great answer. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Wow. rbohm gave you a PHENOMENAL answer. Not a whole lot to add, but to clarify the vehicle mileage thing.....

150-200K on a DIESEL is nothing, for the most part. Diesels are well known to go double that, if not more. Of course, like any vehicle, that's subject to the maintenance and care it receives, but on the whole, a diesel will outlast a gasser.

As you may have guessed, a lot of your decision will boil down to knowing just how much weight you plan to haul/tow. Figure that out first and go from there. By the description you gave dimension-wise, I would assume a 1/2-ton would work just fine for you. But of course that depends on what you plan to fill that 7x16 trailer with. If it's househould goods, ok, but if it's full of dirt/sand/bricks/cement/other heavy stuff, you might need to consider a 3/4-ton.

Mike

Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Not all diesels are good engines. Ford's 6.0L has a long track record of terrible reliability.

Note too that diesel fuel in most parts of the US 40-50 cents more per gallon. The higher purchase price of diesel trucks, even used, plus the higher cost of fuel, may negate the fuel economy savings.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not all diesels are good engines. Ford's 6.0L has a long track record of terrible reliability.

Note too that diesel fuel in most parts of the US 40-50 cents more per gallon. The higher purchase price of diesel trucks, even used, plus the higher cost of fuel, may negate the fuel economy savings.
All true. I was just speaking generically re: engine longevity.

Mike

Old 02-26-2014, 09:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

good points. the early 6.0s had serious issues, the later ones though were much better, but i would still recommend that one avoids those as well. but as noted, when it comes to my response, i was speaking in general terms only. my post would have to be far longer if i were to detail issues with each engine manufacturer, etc.

and true about the cost of diesel as well. in the end the OP now has the information he needs to make a better informed decision on what he wants from a truck, and can now start deciding what truck he wants. that is when we can start to get into specifics of brand, engine, etc.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Will this truck be in addition to or replacement of your current sedan? I ask because if it's a replacement, things like MPG's, creature comforts and passenger compartment size may come into play. E.g. do you want a crew cab (seating for 6) or standard cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
If you plan on a 7'x16', you're going to need at least 7000# of towing capabilities. (Most 6x12' trailers are only rated for 3000#). To get to that 7K#, you're going to need at least a 1/2 ton truck with a V8.

The 7x16' trailers are also going to have brakes so have a brake controller in your thoughts as well (which is incorporated in the truck to control the amount of braking on the trailer based on load weight. Some trucks come with it, some don't and you'll have to have it added.

As for the hitch, most trucks will already have one in place from the factory based on the trucks towing capacity.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
If you are going to be frequently hauling a trailer with a total loaded weight of over 5,000 lbs., the extra expense of a 3/4 ton truck may be worth it. All of the components are "beefier" than for a 1/2 ton truck.

Things to look for in a used truck, in no particular order:

-If the bed is beat up and the hitch and trailer wiring outlet is worn, the truck has likely been used/abused for a lot of heavy towing--that puts a lot of wear on engines and transmissions. Often, the best trucks are the ones used by retirees to pull RV's--mostly highway miles and typically lower mileage for the vehicle's age. Even better is if you find a pickup that is equipped for towing, but hasn't been used much, if at all, for towing. Those are a rare find, but are out there.

-Avoid the 2003-2010 6.0 and 6.4 Ford Powerstroke diesels like the plague. They were undependable engines that cost a fortune to repair. There are a lot of them on the market--trucks being "dumped" by disgruntled owners.

-Diesel vs. gas: diesels get generally better fuel economy and have better longevity--but are not forgiving of poor maintenance practices. Gas engines cost less and mechanics qualified to work on them are generally easier to find. Gasoline is cheaper per gallon, but gas engines get less fuel economy than diesels--especially poor when towing a trailer.

-Strongly consider getting a pickup as a secondary vehicle, not a daily driver. If you have to drive a lot, driving a relatively fuel-inefficient pickup when you don't need it is a killer. Carefully weigh whether or not just renting a truck when you need one is more cost-effective. Pickups cost more in just about every way to own than an economical car.

-Registration costs may or may not be a big factor. Some states base their registration fees on weight, value, and age--my former home state of Colorado is one. There, a couple of year-old 3/4 ton 4WD pickup can cost over $600 per year to register. Some other states just base the fee on weight and registration could cost less than $100 for the same truck. Know what you're getting into there before you buy the vehicle.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:03 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
good points. the early 6.0s had serious issues, the later ones though were much better, but i would still recommend that one avoids those as well. but as noted, when it comes to my response, i was speaking in general terms only. my post would have to be far longer if i were to detail issues with each engine manufacturer, etc.

and true about the cost of diesel as well. in the end the OP now has the information he needs to make a better informed decision on what he wants from a truck, and can now start deciding what truck he wants. that is when we can start to get into specifics of brand, engine, etc.
Yes. Your earlier post was a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive