Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:06 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I almost purchased a buick about two years ago for two reasons...

1. I felt a sense of "nationalistic" pride owning an "American" car.
2. I wanted a German car.

The Volkswagen I ended up purchasing was made in America (North America) where-as the Buick was engineered, designed, built in Germany (Opel).

While in Europe for a couple weeks on business, I noticed the Opel being the "car of choice" around Germany...that's actually an exaggeration - i.e. there were PLENTY of them. My frugality won out however - and a new diesel ended up in my garage...Couldn't be happier with my Mexican built German car...anymore than a Z4 owner enjoys his U.S.A. built German car.
My god man, do you realize VW in Mexico is union? God forbid you buy a car that cares about workers rights opposed to Wall Street profits. God forbid a Mexican retire in dignity when those profits could have been taken by Biff on Wall Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 07:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Cute, but not as many as you, so I'm still here to stir the ignorant. Care to be stirred?
So you're admitting to be a troll, here. Not that you needed to. Everybody knows.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
So, under your ideal a Ford manufactured outside the states is foreign even though profits come back to America to provide a living for Ford executives, and designers?
Quote:
God forbid you buy a car that cares about workers rights opposed to Wall Street profits. God forbid a Mexican retire in dignity when those profits could have been taken by Biff on Wall Street?
Quote:
So America again bailed out a company who's government killed Americans at Pearl Harbor. Are you asking for an apology?
This is all starting to make sense now. First, we think you're just anti foreign cars. Once we point out the fact that your beloved Venom is pretty much a foreign kit car, and even assembled in the UK, you alter your definition to cars that benefit foreign companies. At one point you explain that you're anti-Mazda because profits go to Japan, and pro-Ford because even if they're made in Mexico, profits comes back to benefit executives in the US; as quoted. Later on, you have apparently decided that Fords being made in Mexico are possibly even desirable because they not only result in profits coming back here for Ford executives, but they also ensure Mexicans can "retire in dignity" instead of Biff on Wall Street benefiting. Most people would not be making too great a leap to equate executives of a company who has revenues of more than $100 billion dollars with Biff on Wall Street, but apparently not MrWillys. Not to mention that the whole reason for outsourcing to Mexico is to benefit shareholders; otherwise you could simply manufacture here at lower profit margins. You conclude your hodgepodge of posts about 'merica, God and Wall Street with the timeless reference to Japan killing troops at Pearl Harbor.

So what I can conclude based on all of your rambling is that foreign cars are okay if they benefit American executives and Mexican workers, they're okay if they benefit American executives and European workers, but they are definitely not okay if, even if they benefit American workers, result in any money going to a country who we were at war with 70 years ago. At this point, based on all of your posts, the only conclusion I can arrive at is that you are racist against Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Is the car assembled here?

Toyota: Yes, it takes more than 6,000 American workers to build the Camrys we buy. Ford: Yes, it takes 2,250 workers to build the Escape.

How much of the car contains U.S. parts?

Toyota Camry: 80 percent. Ford Escape: 65 percent.

How many cars were sold in a given year?

Toyota Camry: The most pospular seller, 328,000 were sold last year. Ford Escape: Just under 200,000 were sold in 2010.
This, kids, is what we call MrWillys logic. If a company employs 266% more Americans to produce 60% more vehicles using 15% more American parts, you should still not buy that because Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:54 AM

I found this interesting. The Venom GT hit 270 in 3.2 miles while it the Bugatti 5.6 to hit 258 MPH.

World

Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
I found this interesting. The Venom GT hit 270 in 3.2 miles while it the Bugatti 5.6 to hit 258 MPH.

World
Whats interesting about it? We all ready know the Venom has a higher top speed. No one is saying other wise.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Whats interesting about it? We all ready know the Venom has a higher top speed. No one is saying other wise.
Too accomplish the feat in a much shorter distance I thought was interesting. To think the engine that displaced the Ford flathead did it with pushrods is cool too! Although I really believe it was Chrysler who reached 1 hp per cubic inch in 1956 before GM with the FI 283.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Too accomplish the feat in a much shorter distance I thought was interesting.
Venom GT - Curb Weight 2743lbs - HP 1244 @ 6600 RPM
Veyron - Curb Weight 4300lb - HP 1001 bhp @ 6000 rpm

So your telling me, a car that weighs 1600lbs less, and has 200 more hp is going to accelerate faster? My mine is officially blown

Old 03-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Venom GT - Curb Weight 2743lbs - HP 1244 @ 6600 RPM
Veyron - Curb Weight 4300lb - HP 1001 bhp @ 6000 rpm

So your telling me, a car that weighs 1600lbs less, and has 200 more hp is going to accelerate faster? My mine is officially blown
Wow, that car is as heavy as 70's Caddilac? Bigger engine, but still getting spanked by a Small Block Chevy. Nothing better than beating guys with Porsche, BMW's, and Mercedes in my little old Jeep.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:16 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Nothing better than beating guys with Porsche, BMW's, and Mercedes in my little old Jeep.
Well, if anyone had any doubts about whether you'd lost your mind or not, there are none now.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,353 times
Quote:
Nothing better than beating guys with Porsche, BMW's, and Mercedes in my little old Jeep.
I feel the same way about beating those same cars in my little old Nissan... GT-R. Japan #1! Japan #1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive