Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:31 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Does it ever "go away". On our Mazda you need to turn it off and see whether it comes on again.
Yeah, it does. On my car (Honda), I put the gas cap back on tight and drove for about 20-25 miles, the next time I started the car, drove for another 25-30 miles and it went off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:37 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Talks are on the horizon to do away with the check engine lights by a few manufacturers due to the problems they can cause if misdiagnosed...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I hate to see women get screwed by mechanics.........so here's paying it forward. Most of the check engine lights are nonsense, in fact if you disconnect the battery right before the test it won't come back on and you will pass. I would literally pull up have a guy disconnect battery reconnect pass test and expect light to come back on soon, but who cares you passed!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Well - we drove around for 75-100 miles after he turned off the "check engine" light - and it came back on. Still haven't noticed anything about the car running strangely.

Since then, I got one of those code readers on Amazon (minus Amazon points, it cost me about $15) and I am going to have my fiance look at it and research the codes. I've also been asking around for recommendations for a trusted mechanic.

In my research, I found that there was a specific code that would come up if it was indeed the gas cap. I had two codes coming up during inspection, and I want to see what comes up when we read the codes from the car. Neither of them indicated the gas cap, and the mechanic could have told me that, rather than saying, "No, that never happens."

In any event, that mechanic destroyed his credibility with me, and I'm not going back.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:25 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I hate to see women get screwed by mechanics.........so here's paying it forward. Most of the check engine lights are nonsense, in fact if you disconnect the battery right before the test it won't come back on and you will pass. I would literally pull up have a guy disconnect battery reconnect pass test and expect light to come back on soon, but who cares you passed!
The way emissions testing is done here that strategy will not work. Not only does the check engine light have to be off, but the monitors have to be complete. That is to say, the car needs to have been driven long enough to run the powertrain computer self-diagnostics that were erased simultaneously with the fault code(s). If the cause of the fault code is not repaired, most likely the fault code and check engine light will come back when the tests complete.

Don in Austin

Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Talks are on the horizon to do away with the check engine lights by a few manufacturers due to the problems they can cause if misdiagnosed...
I find that very hard to believe. Do you have a reference?

Don in Austin

Old 03-01-2014, 06:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The way emissions testing is done here that strategy will not work. Not only does the check engine light have to be off, but the monitors have to be complete. That is to say, the car needs to have been driven long enough to run the powertrain computer self-diagnostics that were erased simultaneously with the fault code(s). If the cause of the fault code is not repaired, most likely the fault code and check engine light will come back when the tests complete.

Don in Austin
It worked for me in Denver, fixed since then, good because CA will be hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive