Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM

62 posts, read 92,176 times

Advertisements

Because all new tires sold here must meet strict standards I have no problem with the discount tire stores that sell tires made in Korea or any other place. Paying much more for name brand tires can be a waste of money.Only tire I ever had blow out putting me in danger was a Michelin It developed a broken belt for unknown reason. It overheated from internal friction and exploded while I was going 70 mph on the interstate. I don't plan to buy any more. The worse tire for road noise came from an expensive continental tire. After a close inspection it had severe cracking on the inside side wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 06:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,260,508 times
I agree with those who say tires are one of the most important parts for Performance, Safety, and Comfort. I disagree with anyone who puts cheap tires on because they're cheap. The minimum standards for tires have little to do with P&C. They are only expected not to kill the owner. Tires can make a huge difference in the operation of any vehicle.

Minor cracks aren't a problem, generally speaking. Neither is a tiny dent in the sidewall. That being said, I only buy tires in pairs or sets. I'm looking to replace the rears on my car right now but can't find anyone who wants to give them away.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,365,179 times
I spent 4 solid hours in Costco for tires. neveragain I'll gladly pay more. I hate that place.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 AM

16,353 posts, read 10,473,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I got lost reading through that. But what I got was that you have different tire types/brands, different mileage, different wear, etc.

I just replaced all 4 tires on my car this past week. I had 4 Dunlop SP Sport 01 A/S, two were replaced after bubbling due to potholes so they were much newer. However the other two were down to the wear bars and I hated the Dunlops from day 1. Bad performance in dry, wet, etc. Upgraded the shoes to General G Max AS-03 and love them. Working on selling the two good Dunlops on CL now.

Switch all 4 to a decent brand and keep them rotated every oil change. That is if you change your oil every 6-10k.
Listen to this man, The Shadow knows.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,240,207 times
Cracking? Try using silicone to "seal" them on a regular basis...shiny and all, just don't breathe it (silicosis). Most MINOR cracking is nothing to be concerned with as the outer wall is the real barrier. As far as belts breaking. Usually only happens for two reasons:

1) You hit a pothole at speed and it was deep enough to cleave the belt.
2) Too much weight or high speed or both. They are aren't built for 1,000 mile run of abuse.
3) Inflation, over or under. Over pops the belt (warp in the sidewall) and the tire won't balance. Underinflation heats it up to failure. The stress on a low tire destroys belts eventually. Fill the damn things up.

The reason you go with a major manufacturer is liability. Try to sue China or Korea. Good luck. Goodyear, Goodrich, Kelly, Cooper, Michellin, Pirelli, have a bullseye all over their back and they know it. Besides, that's a myth about cheap tires and buying two sets. Cheap last 30,000 or less before they are dangerous (hey, if you want to run slicks, join nascar, if you want to live, don't be a douche).

Better tires will give 50,000 plus. Not to mention the QUALITY of the ride along the way??? Mileage usually increases as well. Middle of the road tires are usually best if you have a mileage warranty. I've taken 3 sets that wore evenly but, pre-maturely, back to Discount Tire. They credited the difference and typically knocked off $100-$150 per set on the new. Not bad.

Sooooooo, when I go back to replace, I'm typically paying $370-$450 ALL IN for a new set/3 years/40,000. Those same sets run $525-$675 all in otherwise. That with new stems, lifetime rotation and balancing. I skip the road hazard. You should too unless you live in war torn Detroit then, by all means, have at it.

Best for the money? Michellin, Cooper, Pirelli (sticky) and maybe some Goodrich and Generals. Goodyear is too high and they are usually not that good. Smutomo, Yokohama, and other exotics are good too but, not as general in availability. Bridgestone? Meh.....

The ones mentioned above are good VALUE tires. You can pay more and less but, for the money, you can't typically do better. Right now Michellin has their Harmony replacements (Destiny?) with a 90,000 mile warranty. AS IF. I'll be trading those in at 1/2 price/1/2 mileage in about a year. They are quiet, durable, and give good MPG. Best value considering the warranty that no one will achieve.

However, I won't mind getting $150-$175 off the next set? And yes, do replace them at, or around, the treadbar. Why risk your assets?

For those buying Wang Chungs, I wish you well and RIP.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:10 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,796,117 times
The manufacture said to take them to a dealer and the dealer would do a warranty claim based on tread depth. No dealers in the area want to do warranty evaluations no matter the tires condition, and one even said the tires are fine.

So I went to Sears (at least they are national and if I run into issues I can at least not get the run around) and got some Mich Pilots. I know they are a 45k mile tire, but they've got great performance and I'm not going to have this car for more than 30k more miles so they work for me (we will be trading in or selling this car in 18 months or so, but until we do I need confidence in its abilities).

Old 03-04-2014, 10:05 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,135,379 times
I have General Altimax RT tires on the old GM sedan for a year now and they've been a mixed bag. Good in that their handling in wet and dry have been excellent. They seem to transmit shocks and bounces more than the BF Goodriches they replaced, but the car is 15 years old now and maybe the shocks aren't what they used to be. Noise is at least average, they aren't bad in that regard. In deep snow they seem to lack the grip the Goodrich's had and as well as on ice. But careful driving trumps good or bad tires.
What I'm getting at is that they were a lot cheaper and are still a good tire and I'd say in rain and light snow are as good as what you'd want in more expensive tires. The real bottom tier tires I saw at Wal Mart, the Douglass and Goodyears were cheaper still and had pretty poor reviews at TireRack.com. I don't think you have to buy the most expensive tires, there are deals out there. And if you have a car you might not have more than a few years, putting top of the line tires on it might not be worth it.
General has a new tire, the General Altimax 43 which seem to be even better and are getting early rave reviews from owners.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,874,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I have General Altimax RT tires on the old GM sedan for a year now and they've been a mixed bag. Good in that their handling in wet and dry have been excellent. They seem to transmit shocks and bounces more than the BF Goodriches they replaced, but the car is 15 years old now and maybe the shocks aren't what they used to be. Noise is at least average, they aren't bad in that regard. In deep snow they seem to lack the grip the Goodrich's had and as well as on ice. But careful driving trumps good or bad tires.
What I'm getting at is that they were a lot cheaper and are still a good tire and I'd say in rain and light snow are as good as what you'd want in more expensive tires. The real bottom tier tires I saw at Wal Mart, the Douglass and Goodyears were cheaper still and had pretty poor reviews at TireRack.com. I don't think you have to buy the most expensive tires, there are deals out there. And if you have a car you might not have more than a few years, putting top of the line tires on it might not be worth it.
General has a new tire, the General Altimax 43 which seem to be even better and are getting early rave reviews from owners.
I have the General Altimax Rt43s on my van. I think your description of the Altimax RT is exactly how I would describe the RT 43s. They're good tires, but not the best on snow or ice. They are much better than the Yokohama tires we had before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive