Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM

558 posts, read 1,121,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You should blog for the sake of history. You'll be surprised how many people will enjoy reading about your adventures!
Yeah I am thinking about doing that. I thought about dedicating my travels to my Mom, who died of breast cancer, but I don't wanna paint my car pink. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 12:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You should blog for the sake of history. You'll be surprised how many people will enjoy reading about your adventures!
I second that! I've read many travel blogs and love em!

I (and my little dog) took a 3700 mile trip this past summer traveling around the east coast (Fl-SC-Western NC-Maryland-NYC-PA-Upstate NY) in my 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with over 150K on her, she did great! I loaded up with all the essentials mentioned throughout this thread.

One piece of advice I can offer is prepare well for tolls roads and be on the lookout for toll roads that don't have toll booths (Video Toll Roads that will capture your license plate if you don't have an e-pass) and send you a bill (happened to me in Maryland, I started a thread about it in the Maryland Forum).

If you can invest in an ez-pass or whatever electronic pass appropriate for your trip, I encourage you to do so, this website may help you out Electronic Toll Collection Systems

Best of luck and have an awesome time! I did!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:42 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
Yeah I am thinking about doing that. I thought about dedicating my travels to my Mom, who died of breast cancer, but I don't wanna paint my car pink. lol.
So sorry for your loss.

Quote:
I wont be sitting in the front seat. I have already removed the rear seats and plan to remove the passenger seat and use plywood and 2x4's to build a platform that will run flush with the floor of the cargo area, that's where my Cot will be running the length of the car.
Not sure how old you are, but taking low dose aspirin on the extra long stretches of your trip can help prevent swelling.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,066 times
tiluha, yeah I encountered that In Oklahoma. There's a toll from the area just after Joplin MO, and it ends in Tulsa. It's a very desolate stretch of road. No toll people on duty, was really weird and it wasn't clear if I had to keep dipping into these booths to pay or not, so I didn't and never had any problems. There are no marked signs saying to pay toll, these booths are just there off to the side, really confusing.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:02 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
I have a 97 Sidekick Sport (that's the 4 door 4x4 version, not the tiny ragtop) with 160k+ and this summer I will be driving about 5000k roundtrip. Being the frugal, or cheapskate, that I am I wont pay for a rental or hotel rooms. Tried trading her in for a van but nobody wants my old beater. I am setting off on an adventure by myself. I am working on my screenplay while traveling and plan on taking my time, enjoying the southwest scenery.
I have a schematic I measured out and I will be removing all but the driver seat and setting up my Coleman camper bed (yep it fits perfectly and leaves room underneath for storage). I plan to be on the road for several weeks, so before you say I am nuts think of how much the hotel bills would be. Plus I want an adventure. Sure maybe after 2 weeks I may treat myself to 1 night at a motel but most will be in my suv.
My mechanic says my car is in great shape for it's age. I plan to bring an extra belt, and a couple radiator hoses and tools just in case. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have faith or I wouldn't start off on a journey this big.
Have any of you made long treks in old cars? What advice would you give me?
(I have a similar thread in the rv section so sorry bout that)
I set out on a long trip once. That was in 1963.
I finally finished in 2010. I retired.
49 states, 19 foreign countries.....

In 2015, we're going to go to Alaska. That'll be #50.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 PM

358 posts, read 512,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I set out on a long trip once. That was in 1963.
I finally finished in 2010. I retired.
49 states, 19 foreign countries.....

In 2015, we're going to go to Alaska. That'll be #50.
That's excellent!

Alaska is the last one I need too. Only three other countries for me so far. But my trip only lasted 11 years and I'm pretty much nested now.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
When in my late teens and early twenties I drove my 1972 Barracuda across country a few times!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Nope !!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive